1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

german doppelbock extract yeast

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by slayerklzu, Mar 1, 2012.

1. slayerklzu

slayerklzu Aspirant (35) Mar 1, 2012

i recently brewed my first doppel and i used the wyeast smack pack and did a yeast starter, it's undergoing active fermentation but after i rack to my secondary fermenter my directions say to add another yeast before i bottle. is this really necessary? any info would be helpful, i cant find too awful much info on this type of brewing... its my first strong lager.

2. DaveJanssen

DaveJanssen Savant (305) Germany Apr 17, 2008

How long are you planning to let it sit in the secondary? The directions are suggesting this because they presume that there won't be enough viable yeast left for bottling (due to extended aging). I don't do a lot of extended aging so I can't offer much first hand advice about what aging times need/don't need re-yeasting.

If you do decide to re-pitch be careful about overpitching bottling yeast. You don't need much. Jamil suggests 1 million cells per mL.

edit: you might want to move this over to the homebrew forum

3. slayerklzu

im planning on letting it sit in secondary for about 4 months since it says about 6 months total time, i have acquired a mini fridge for lagering so i hope it turns out. i've only ever bottled with dextrose but since it says using yeast as well im a bit confused. thank you for replying dave its appreciated

4. Naugled

Naugled Savant (455) New York Sep 25, 2007

I don't know how to do it, but your question should be in the homebrewing forum.

5. After four months of lagering it is definitely a good idea to add fresh yeast when you bottle. I recommend 1/4 pkg of Safbrew T-58 dry yeast per 5 gallons, just sprinkle into the bottling bucket as you rack.

6. slayerklzu

thanx geocool you insight is appreciated and im so sorry naugled i was under the impression that aging my doppelbock would be under this forum since it IS labeled cellaring and aging...asshole. but thank you though geo and dave i will try that

7. I would recommend re-hydrating the dry yeast due to the fact that alcohol can break down the weakened cell walls of the dry yeast. You don't want that to happen.

8. slayerklzu

sorry naugled that was uncalled for i guess i took it the wrong way... again i appologize one beer lover to another

9. slayerklzu

thanx nittany i've never heard of that before but i just looked it up and i will deffinetely take your advise, i just really hope this doppel turns out...its such a long brew that i really dont want it to turn out like crap. there is alot more work to these lagers that i think i just might stick to my ales and just do a lager once in awhile haha. but thank you guys for all of your input i'll let you know how it turns out, around christmas :mad:

10. You need about 2.0 billion yeast cells to bottle a 5 gallon batch. 1 package of yeast contains about 230 billion cells. My suggestion of 1/4 pkg of dry yeast will be more than enough with or without re-hydrating.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/AdvancedBottleConditioning.pdf

11. slayerklzu

now just to clarify thats 1/4 pack yeast along with my normal priming sugar, correct? i just really dont want any bottle bombs, im using grolsch swing top bottles so they can take a little bit more pressure than a normal brown bottle but its still nerve racking.

12. DaveJanssen

DaveJanssen Savant (305) Germany Apr 17, 2008

Correct, you will want to prime normally. If your primary was completely finished out and your bottling yeast is similarly attenuating to your primary yeast (both of which i am assuming are true) then adding more yeast won't do anything unless you add priming sugar. So just go ahead and prime like you would normally but also include a small amount of yeast.

13. slayerklzu

cool, thanx guys the input is all appreciated. i think im going to do my american ale this weekend and stop stressing about this doppel, since i dont have to worry about it for about four more months lol