1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Germans put soda in beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by brianthelion23, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Radlers and Shandys have their place. For example, they are good for a morning or brunch beer.

Steigl's grapefruit radler is pretty refreshing, but has a bit more bite than just grapefruit juice. There's also a place I go to for brunch here in Kansas City that makes a shandy using Boulevard Tank 7 and lemonade. It's incredibly tasty and works great for a little hair of the dog.
  2. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

I started drinking beer every day when I quit drinking soda. I never and I mean never drink soda.

But I drink beer like it were soda, often and always when I can.
  3. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (640) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

In my three years living in Hamburg, it was common to mix Sprite with a lager beer in the summer. Several companies also produced and canned this stuff, selling it as Alsterwasser. Radler in the rest of the country. Quite refreshing on a warm day actually.

Otherwise, nobody I knew or hung around with mixed their beer with soda. This was not very common among twenty-somethings in Hamburg and the surrounding areas. People mostly drank pilsner, lager or weizen when we were out. Alcohol coolers were also popular.

Jeff
  4. Kelp

Kelp Savant (450) New Hampshire Mar 6, 2008

A friend brought on of these home from Germany and it actually wasn't bad. I don't think I would drink it very often, but on occasion I could deal.
  5. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (345) Australia Nov 29, 2008

Hefeweizen topped up with Coke is pretty great on a really hot day. Friend came back from teaching in Germany for a few years and turned me onto it. Another friend's of Dad regularly drinks Coopers Sparkling Ale cut with ginger beer and after reluctantly trying it I had to admit that it was pretty good.
  6. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Savant (460) California Nov 16, 2009

I love me some chocolates soda at local 50's burger joints. This thread is tempting mr to try Black Tuesday with club soda.
  7. bmmortale

bmmortale Savant (250) Maryland Apr 6, 2012

After riding your bike for miles around Munich on a hot summer's day, drinking a Radler or Dunkelradler at a Biergarten is fantastic.
    YogiBeer likes this.
  8. Douberd

Douberd Savant (320) Netherlands Jan 27, 2012

And apparently the new thing is beer with energy drink. :confused:
  9. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (465) Germany Jul 31, 2011

If Heidelberg used to be on the Rhine back then things have changed quite a bit! :D Sorry for the nitpick, Heidelberg is of course on the Neckar river, not the Rhine.

To the OP, yes the cola drinks are very popular here as you can probably tell by the responses. I don't drink them myself but they are everywhere.
    boddhitree and GRPunk like this.
  10. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

50/50 Seven up or Sprite with a decent low-moderately hopped lager is a great hangover cure. There's just enough alcohol to put your system on the right track and plenty of sugar to give you a little energy. In France it's not even considered alcoholic and you can buy them from vending machines.
  11. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

I have also had these when in Germany, in a variety of different cities including Munich, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Berlin, and Dusseldorf... I have had radlers in all of the places but the only place I experienced the beer and cola was in Dusseldorf.
  12. The only sin here is linking ratebeer on beer advocate. o_O
  13. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (265) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Steigl Grapefuit Radler....yum, yum, yum.
  14. GRPunk

GRPunk Advocate (575) Michigan Apr 5, 2007

My bad. Late night post got my converging rivers flipped.
    mjtierney2 likes this.
  15. This is making me want a cold Hansa beer right about now. Not sure if I'll be adding soda.
  16. HOP_KING

HOP_KING Aficionado (180) Illinois Jan 30, 2013

Germans were sipping and brewing beer long before us Americans. They can do what they want.
    mintjellie and WhatANicePub like this.
  17. My German ex-gf used to put banana juice in her hefeweizen. She said it was a common additive. *shrugs*
  18. woemad

woemad Champion (795) Washington Jun 8, 2003

In 1999, I spent a month in and around Lübeck, on the Baltic coast. Radlers and other odd combos were in evidence then, though they called the Radler an Alsterwasser in northern Germany, apparently after the supposed color of the River Alster. I sipped from the glass of a friend, and while I found it a tad refreshing (not as refreshing as ice water, which couldn't be found for blood or money), it was not my cup of tea.

What really found nasty was Malzbier. Some brands actually add chocolate flavoring to them!
  19. woemad

woemad Champion (795) Washington Jun 8, 2003

As a regular Vitus drinker, I think I just slightly threw up in my mouth.
  20. In the rural corner of southern Germany I grew up in, it was fairly typical for teenagers and non-drinkers to drink Radlers (lemon club soda and beer, as explained before), which you could get premixed in a bottle from the Rothaus Staatsbrauerei. I think they were using their Pils as the base beer, which is good stuff (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/464/1354), and the result was refreshing and mild if not very exciting.
  21. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

ok, you got me there. I actually don't trust rate beer for much of anything, but it WAS one of the only linkouts provided by google on the subject. I promise not to sully the BA site again ;)
  22. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Germans put lemonade in beer, the English add lime juice, I've seen Americans add ice cubes or salt -- there are oddities the world over... not that we have to follow them!
  23. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Not exactly...You do know that the first non-natives in the Americas were you know European and they made this stuff called beer? Right?
  24. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I honestly really like russ'n mixers with the fruitier weissbiers like Paulaner and HB. While most mixes tend to be 60/40'ish beer to soda, a 70/30 mix is even better. Radlers are okay, too, although I definitely prefer the russ.

Diesel/Colabier is another animal, though. That is one foul concoction.
    steveh likes this.
  25. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Not everyone there has great taste. Lest we forget this is the land of the shizer vid.
    boddhitree likes this.
  26. Personally, its not really something I would do.

That being said beer is a drink that is meant to be enjoyed and fun and if putting some lemonade or sprite in it makes you enjoy it more go for it. Almost nothing is blasphemous to me as long as it tastes good.
  27. JMS1512

JMS1512 Advocate (550) New Jersey Feb 18, 2013

I've had Guinness mixed with coke. It's called a Trojan, and not too bad. I'm really big on coke mixed with a cheap Cabernet. It's a Hungarian thing, and if I have my facts straight, quite common over there. Someone tell me if I'm wrong.
  28. HOP_KING

Come again. I think you just answered to my point.
  29. Dude. The Germans reportedly started brewing beer in the 14th Century (1300s). At the very least, they were certainly brewing at the time of the Reinheitsgebot (purity law), which was enacted in 1516.

Brewing in the new world started around the beginning of the 17th Century (1600s) when Jamestown colonists sent inquiries back to England for some brewers to join them in the colony.
    HOP_KING likes this.
  30. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

*SIGH*

Did I say anything about brewing in the new world...As someone who can trace their genealogy back to 1630's America and beyond (back to the UK, Normandy before that, and the Nordic countries before that) I just meant there is a long line of brewing tradition that goes back before "America" was America and before those people decided to come over and become "Americans".
  31. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

I tried a sixer of Steigl Radler and decided I would have a glass of Squirt the next time I get a hankering for a Radler.
  32. No, you didn't. And I can understand your point... but I think you're missing the forest for the trees here.

I think the original comparison was between German brewing tradition and American brewing tradition, and I don't think you can really count the ancestral histories of the colonists' brewing traditions as part of that American tradition. The American brewing tradition proper is something that came about and evolved *in America*, after the colonists had arrived here.

My interpretation of the original comment was that Germans were working with beer long before any consolidated brewing tradition had even begun in what would eventually become the United States.
  33. HOP_KING

Brett Head will backtrack his words with the best of them. But at end of the day he is dead wrong.
  34. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Steigl Radler is frigging awesome.
  35. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

lol.

Anyway I spent a summer in Munich and I liked to mix it up with a maß of radler after work on a hot day in a biergarten. Its simply excellent.
  36. boddhitree

boddhitree Advocate (630) Germany Apr 13, 2008

I'm sorry, but these drinks are considered chick-drinks here in Germany. No man here I've ever met would drink that without feeling shame and turn in their Man-card. Also, these drinks are now ubiquitously produced in a somewhat unsuccessful attempt at reaching the youth/female market. The German brewers are grasping at straws by selling this crap; however, it won't stop their steady decline in sales, especially among the youth. These Gemischtgetränke (mixed drinks) are frightful. Please do not perpetuate this horror further on society.
  37. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Those silly Germans! Why would you put crazy flavors and stuff in beer? :rolleyes:
    herrburgess and kingofhop like this.
  38. My wife and I are currently living in Germany and our best friends here are locals. We are in our 30's and they are in their late 40's and have 2 sons. The mom usually drinks radlers and bier cola mix. The dad is either a pils or a hefe. He also drinks a hefe/grapefruit mix.

A few months ago we were talking beers. I was in Belgium the day before and we talked Belgian beers and US beers. The older son was bragging about German beers and putting down US beers. All he knows of US beers is Bud. I point out to him for talking down US beers as he is drinking this.

[​IMG]
    boddhitree and loafinaround like this.
  39. boddhitree

boddhitree Advocate (630) Germany Apr 13, 2008

Please, why don't you join us in the German forum, where our discussions are very lively and spirited about the German beer scene. Surprised you've not posted there.
  40. I never get past the beer talk and beer news forums. I will check out the German forum when I wake up tomorrow.

Prost!