1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Germans put soda in beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by brianthelion23, Feb 17, 2013.

1. I had a half-beer half-cola in Germany. I also had a half-beer half-lemonade they called both radlers. It was nice because it was my transition into drinking beer.

2. Ah... what's "X"?

3. tronester

tronester Advocate (645) Oklahoma Nov 25, 2006

When I was in Germany as a teenager (and before I could drink beer :() I had family members that would drink Warsteiner mixed with lemon-lime soda pop, the radler.

I don't think I've ever had one.

4. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (445) California Nov 20, 2010

5. zachary80

zachary80 Savant (325) Indiana Nov 29, 2009

Sounds like what can be found in some parts of Spain (where I'd heard) as well as other areas-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalimotxo
    "Alternative names include Rioja libre (from "Rioja", and "Cuba Libre"), kali, motxo. In Chile the drink is known as jote (Chilean Spanish for the Black Vulture). In Romania it is often called motorină, meaning diesel fuel, and in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, the Republic of Macedonia, Croatia, Slovenia and other former Yugoslav republics it is known as bambus (meaning bamboo) and musolini (as in Benito Mussolini). The person who mixes bamboo 50:50, is often defined as "gulozan". In the Czech Republic it is known as houba (meaning mushroom), and in Hungary as Vadász (meaning hunter) or vörösboros kóla or VBK for short. In Mozambique and South Africa it is known as Catemba, and in Germany it is sometimes called Kalte Muschi or Korea."

6. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Germans, just like everyone else, do a lot of stupid shit.

For as much as they insist on the 4 magical ingredients, I'm blown away by their enthusiasm when it comes to pouring syrups and sodas into their reinheitsgebot masterpieces.

I have nothing against radlers or spiked berliners but it seems hypocritical to me.

boddhitree and davey101 like this.
  7. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Its all the rage in the biergartens, from what I've heard.

yamar68 likes this.