1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Getting a porter/stout thats thin and watery instead of robust

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DarkDragon999, Feb 19, 2013.

1. How often has this happened to you ? We'd all love all porters/stouts to be roasty and robust but sometimes we see one that looks interesting and we bring it home and crack it open and it's thin and watery. It truly is a major letdown.

DaKur and baconman91 like this.
  2. Every time I'm dumb enough to drink Guiness again.

3. Heh Im excluding Guiness because everyone knows its thin and watery. Im talking more about less known beers.

4. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (430) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, Kona Porter, Guinness Draught, to name a few. Major bummers,

Craigory and SenorHops like this.
  5. Drakes Drakonic. Thinner than a decent porter and it claims to be an Imperial Stout.

Andrew61923 and Bluecane like this.
  6. Ahhh Kona Porter is on my list of beers to try but if you say its thin and watery I will skip it and trust your judgment. Thanks for the warning.

7. Beefytits4

Beefytits4 Savant (475) Illinois Nov 2, 2011

I try to stay away from Irish Dry Stouts, they always seem a little thin to me.

8. Im wondering if there are any beers that say "robust" on the label but arent actually robust. I know Smuttynose and Southern Tier's porters say robust and they most definately are.

9. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout and Bourbon Cherry Stout were both pretty thin for imperial stouts.
    Rogue Hazelnut Nectar was pretty thin for a porter.

EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  10. Was really excited to try some DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus. Flavor was what I expected. Mouthfeel made this beer a near disappointment for me. Way too thin. If they could fix this, I'd be happy.

HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  11. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

For me it seems like it's 50/50 when trying a new stout. I try to check reviews of beers until I try them so as not to sway my judgement. However, when I try one with a thin mouthfeel I immediately feel as though I have wasted my time/money.

That being said, you can pass on Ft. Collins' stouts. Tried them the other day and watery is the only way to describe the mouthfeel.

12. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

I think Rogue Hazelnut Nectar is considered a brown ale, but I agree that it is very thin and watery, along with a very artificial hazelnut flavor. I actually find a lot of porters to be very thin. After awhile I just assumed that was the style.

13. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I stand corrected. Still, I think I'd like it more if it had a little more body.

14. No its not the style. Smuttynose, Southern Tier, and Founder's porters are definately not thin.

15. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

Sometimes the style actually demands particular things that are at odds with what you enjoy. A lot of the porters I like are way outside the brewing guidelines for porter. The imperial stouts I dislike are usually well within the guidelines, and the ones I like, are always pushing the upper limits.

Gotta remember that what you like doesn't have any correlation with how a particular beer is designed. What you like should just dictate what you buy, and what you skip. So it kind of makes sense to keep track of the porters and stouts that you DISLIKE as much as keeping track of what you like.

gory4d likes this.
  16. Philly82785

Philly82785 Savant (265) Minnesota Dec 17, 2008

Left Hand Milk Stout was a HUGE disapointment

17. Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter is definately thin and watery. I saw someone here call it a "crowd pleaser" well its not to me.

18. gory4d

gory4d Savant (495) New York Apr 14, 2007

Right, who says a porter/stout (same difference) has to be robust? If you think of porter as historically related to the Flanders red style, you might have more of an open mind as to what it's supposed to be like. Of course, if the OP likes his stouts/porters robust, more power to him.

19. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

... and yet Left Hand Milk Stout would probably be one of the first picks for an ideal example of the Milk/Sweet Stout category for brewers. So most likely it means you will not be enamored of anything in that category.

comfortablynirm and GeezLynn like this.
  20. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

For me personally, Deschutes Black Butte porter was watery and not what i was expecting at all. It was a bit of a let down after all the love it gets here. I can only assume that it's better on draft?

21. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Yep. Cracked this while hanging out with a brewer; when he got excited by it, I was kinda like, man, I'm now not expecting much from your beer.....

FWIW I like Kona Pipeline Porter, especially for $1/bottle that I pay. It's on the light side, sure, but I still enjoy it.

CommanderOfAwesome likes this.
  22. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (485) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

Had a similar issue with Right Brain's CEO Stout the other night. I guess they just started bottling, so perhaps it's better on tap as well. I'm always disappointed when I get a thin/watery stout.

23. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

I actually prefer stouts/porters that aren't roasty, so I'm different on that front. But I absolutely :mad: HATE :mad: thin-bodied stouts/porters.

24. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

ST Porter certainly isn't a bad beer but Smutty and Founders set the benchmark for me for robust porters and I remember thinking the Southern Tier I tried lacked the same robustness as those other two. Definitely not thin or watery, but doesn't seem to pack the same punch IMO.

25. Philly82785

Maybe it was a bad keg when I had it, but it tasted like slighlty flavored water.

26. Well, first of all, was it on nitro or regular? Nitro definitely waters down the flavors.

Also, I love LH Milk Stout but I have had a couple of bottles where the flavors fell a little flat, so I'm sure there's a little batch variation or something going on from time to time. I'd give em another chance (on both nitro and not on nitro) before making a final verdict.

27. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Any dark beer by Breckenridge.

28. Philly82785

Pretty sure it was on nitro, I'll have to try it again then.

29. Central Waters Satin Solstice Imperial Stout is guilty. No body, and the color reminded me of Coca-Cola being it was pretty transparent, not black by any means.

30. So what's wrong with a Stout or Porter that isn't super robust/thick?

One of my favorite things is drinking a bunch of bottles of Pipeline Porter, Black Butte, or a Irish Dry Stout on a hot day out on the patio. If you pop a Black Butte porter expecting a chewy fireside type sipping beer, you are drinking it in the wrong setting/frame of mind IMO.

GeezLynn and Dools9 like this.
  31. Nope. The one time I had it was on draft, and it was a big letdown. I was dumbfounded by the love it gets.

32. I came in to write about SBJ. Glad I'm not alone. The only thing that made this beer better was having it on nitro at their place in Ann Arundle MD. It was like a whole other beer. It was amazing.

I fought the urge to buy another 6 pack shortly afterwards, but then remembered again how goddamn thin it was.

33. This beer could have easily become one of my favorite go-to 6 pack beers. The mouth feel really jacked that up.

HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  34. My thoughts exactly. I was so pumped up to hear about it, especially all the buzz surrounding it in the area. I mean fuck, peanut butter anything should be delicious. I rushed out and got some and then...

"Thats it?"

All because it was watery thin.

35. Can't not think of the homebrewed porter I just made. It came out far more watery, thin, and lame than I was aiming for. So now I'm just calling it a table porter... ya know, for children. Like in the old days. In that respect I like to think it's true to style, therefore A+

36. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

That's the worst. I totally want my stouts to have some heft to them. I don't know what's worse, a watery undercarbonated stout (Left Hand) or on that is thin and carbonated like a soda (Rogue Chocolate Stout and/or my first attempt at homebrew).

37. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

My first and only experience with Bell's Porter was similar to this. It was crisp, and not smooth like most porters. And it lacked robustness. I was very disappointed because they have a number of very good beers (Hopslam, for example). It's like they invest all their hard work into making IPA's and pale ale's and just made a porter for variation sake. Maybe I got a bad batch, who knows.

38. Nothing I guess but if I paying a lot of money for one and its not robust and thick then I feel as if I wasted my money.

39. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Porters should only be medium bodied. Even medium-light. If you are expecting a big viscous beer you are in the wrong style category. Having said that, there have been quite a few shitty beers mentioned on here that I agree with. Black Butte Porter is NOT one of them.

40. I am not sure traditional Porter was really designed to be Thick & Robust. I think as long as they taste good there is a place for variations. Love Smuttynose & Founders for it's robust style but also enjoy Mayflower & CCB Jose Marti which in my opinion are much thinner and easier to drink multiples of.