Getting a porter/stout thats thin and watery instead of robust

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DarkDragon999, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Not a fan of thin dark beers!

2. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

Last time I had Smoke Jumper, it was like someone had put out a cigarette in a glass of water. Regular W.U.D. as well. Good Juju was like someone had left some dishes in the sink to "soak" for a week. That brewery defines thin beers for me. Just terrible mouthfeel.

Perhaps putting it into a barrel fixes it, but I'm not willing to spend the extra cash to find out after getting burned so many times.

3. fox227

fox227 Advocate (565) California Nov 19, 2010

Checking my stout/porter history, it seems that Lakefronts Fuel Cafe was the worst offender in this category.

4. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (450) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

I agree that some of their beers are lackluster, about all I can enjoy from them is their stouts, that is where they excel in my book.

5. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

Breckenridge Vanilla Porter. But the explosive vanilla in it tastes so damn good that it doesn't bother me.

Madhouse Coffee Stout and a couple Empyrean's I've had are thin and watery stouts/porters I don't like because of that.

6. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I can see that and agree that my expectations were way too high for it. I don't think that Black Butte is a bad beer by any means. I just was waiting for a WOW with all the hype it received here when it was released in Chicago and got an "eh?" instead.

7. i hear ya'. there are certainly heftier porters out there, but probably not many for $1.25/12oz. to me, it isn't billed as something with more girth or layers than it actually has. my take is it's widely accepted because it's 'good enough' to get by & for just over $30 a case, it's fairly economical. anyone that's looking for richer pancake syrup porters is bound to be let down.

so in summary, i think Black Butte gets a lot of love on a regular beer, regular guy level, so much so that on-lookers on the outside get the impression it must be a wowing imperial, that's dirt cheap & readily available. i can definitely see the let down lurking there.

mecummins likes this.
  8. I mean, I don't think Black Butte is only a "get by" porter or that it's price is the sole/major determining factor of how good it is. The body is a bit thin, sure, but honestly almost ever porter besides Founders and a couple others are. The thing that makes Black Butte stand out for me is the very interesting, unique earthen notes I get from it - not sure if it's the hops, the malts, a combination of both, or whatever causing the flavors, but I think they're really unique and interesting. I actually was put off by them at first but into my 3rd bottle I fell in love.

9. I think most of the love goes to the fact that it has a darkness and smooth taste and for those of us who have insane issues digesting too much malt sugar its not going to murder us by the end of the night. It's one of the few dark beers I can drink all night and not pay for later.

10. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

I don't recall the label actually saying that they were Imperial stouts. I might be wrong here, though. They definitely felt more like straight stouts that were barrel aged.

11. darienm

darienm Aficionado (140) Illinois Apr 23, 2010

Flying Dog BA Gonzo Imperial Porter (released again this week) is a very very thin beer. But nobody I've ever shared it with has complained because the bourbon is so forward in the nose and flavor that you just don't consider anything else while drinking it. A thicker beer might cover up that experience, and that would be a shame.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/68/75428

12. mecummins

The dirt flavor is what initially put me off. It was unexpected. At first I thought it tasted like artificial chocolate, but but the next time I tried it I realized that there was a dirt/earthiness to it. But you know, I've only tried it 2x.

13. mecummins

I can see the allure of a lighter/thinner porter to drink more than one. At another BA's suggestion, I'm going to keep one until summer and give it a try ice cold (like an iced coffee, but without the ice to water it down.)

14. In the same vein as the letdowns previously stated over Sweet Baby Jesus, I found Terrapin's Liquid Bliss to be a letdown in the mouthfeel department as well. The peanut butter/chocolate flavor wasn't as intense as I was expecting either which is where I guess these two beers differ.

15. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (715) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

I was going to say the same thing. I finally have access to Deschutes products and was stoked opening my first Black Butte, but I was a bit disappointed. BBP is definitely not a bad porter, but I felt that I allowed myself to get burned by the hype flame once again. I'm pretty impressed by most of Deschutes brews though.

16. mecummins

Not to hijack, but what other ones did you like? I tried the porter and didn't bother to give any of the others a chance.

17. ah hah. o.k. if i'm thinking of what you are, this factor definitely fluctuates related to temperature (for me / my palate).

i suspect what one may have eaten can play into the aspect i believe you speak of too. i would definitely suggest playing around with the temp in regards to that specific component in the flavor profile. the hard part for me is ~ since i buy it by the case(s) - it goes in the fridge in large quantities - it's easiness and its other positives mentioned, makes it that much harder to resist slamming down before much temp swing has occurred.

this is just my take - but for me, too cold it can be much more one or at most two dimensional, and drinks more like a thirst quenching dark lager. jmho

18. DelMontiac

I like Hop Henge, Inversion, and Mirror Pond which are easy to get. A couple of years ago I lucked into Abyss and Hop in the Dark while in Colorado. Both excellent.

mecummins likes this.
  19. It's a stout, and it's 9.5% abv, so I think that's why people are assuming it's an imperial stout.

20. DelMontiac

And how could I forget that abomination named Bison Organic Chocolate Stout. It would be reclassified as a Recycled Stout if there were such a classification.

21. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. So if they brewed an Imperial (1414 an Imp?) it would probably log in around 12%... nice.

22. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

I meant "for brewers" as in the BJCP categories, which are guidelines for brewing. As in "relevant for brewers."

Do you have some specific question for me, regarding brewers I've talked to, and what about? Because maybe I can help. I'm enjoying your passive aggressive hostility.

23. I absolutely love Weyerbacher Insanity, but Heresy is too thin & watery every time. Meh.

24. Polygamy Porter. One of the most disappointing beers I've ever brought home.

25. nhindian

nhindian Savant (370) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2010

Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout is pretty thin for a 9.2% Impy Stout.

Still a good beer though.

26. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (595) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Really? I had both CWs u mention and I thought they were anything but thin. Cherry was especially chewy IMO. I think BBS is fantastic.

27. Most likley the brewery is doing a partial boil on these "thin" beers to increase yield and keep the cost low. I like a lighter drinking porter or stout sometimes. I'm never going to rip into a few Ten Fidy's on a hot summer day.

28. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Yes, help me understand why you and these "brewers" are using Left Hand as some kind of template for the Milk/Sweet Stout category. And why you are trying to pass it off as gospel. That is a pretty pedestrian example and if they are following that as some kind of standard they are setting the bar pretty low, IMO. Nice of you to use BJCP too, that shows me you are in an elite class of BA, I had never heard of this program before. If I don't like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale am I doomed to not like ANY other APA? This is basically what you insinuated.

29. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Washington Sep 12, 2012

I'm really fond of the Obsidian Stout, outside of the other recommendations already made.

mecummins and ColinStClaire like this.
  30. superspak

superspak Poobah (1,020) Michigan May 5, 2010

Is this real life? I just had some 2 nights ago. Creamy as helll for a beer that's 6%

A lot of hate in here for Left Hand Milk Stout, yet another 6% stout that has the expected amount of creaminess and slickness I expect in a stout of that gravity. Most of you sound like it isn't good enough unless it isn't comparable to a carton of half and half. Get real, they aren't 10% stouts.

BrettHead likes this.
  31. That happened to me recently. I thought I'd give it another shot. NOPE!

Charlie_Hoss likes this.
  32. idk if it has been said yet but I just drank full sail bourbon barrel aged imperial stout and it was so watery and unbalanced I poured it...and I am not big into drainpouring beers at all. really bummed about this one.

33. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

I overestimated how interesting your mad action is. My deepest apologies. I will rethink what constitutes a milk stout and do my best to help you propagate this information, so that everyone will agree with us. This is really important work.

34. atomic

atomic Savant (455) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

I'd say its worth a shot. Might not be worth buying a 6pk of it, but I bought a sampler that had it and I enjoyed drinking it.