1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Getting real tired of whales.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by atomic, Feb 27, 2013.

1. atomic

atomic Savant (455) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Inspired by the craft staples thread, I got to thinking of how tired I am hunting for beer.

I think of all the beers I've hunted for, very few were ever actually worth the effort and $$. There are so many good beers that just sit on shelves all the time. Just next door to me the supermarket is selling Breakfast Stout 4pk for $8.99. I think I'm going to relax a bit and just stop the hunting and appreciate the awesome beers around me. Missed the BA Big Foot? Oh well. Didn't get to try BCBS this year? Always next year.

Anyone else starting to feel this way?

2. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

Yes and your wallet will thank you.

3. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

I would think BCBS woulda been real easy for someone to get in IL, especially the latest release..

4. As Mericans it is our duty to keep Fedex and UPS in business...

5. atomic

Yea it was popping up everywhere. I saw it at wallgreens even. But generally probably not an easy beer to get for people outside the chicago metro area.

dar482 likes this.
  6. I am. I've been using the fact that the bottle shop where I'm stationed doesn't get too many whales in as an excuse to do just this. Doesn't mean I won't have my girlfriend back home hunt stuff down for me when she can, though haha. She scored me the BA Bigfoot.

FUNKPhD likes this.
  7. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (470) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

I have been thinking this alot lately myself. I love trying new beers, and rare ones but its seems like a chore getting some. Especially when like the op said their is always great beer around.

8. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Nope, tickers gotta tick.

If anything, I'm just enjoy shelf beers from CA, that I have to trade for.

kotayk, jeonseh and WoodburyMN like this.
  9. First world problems? :p

10. I have always felt that way. Rather drink beer than hunt for it.

11. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

I think like this all the time, but then I end up going to Bottleworks and spending $65 on two anniversary beers......shit!

12. Been feeling this way for the last year. Found myself getting pissed off each time something special would come out only to find out my area received damn near nothing and that little bit was all promised out to others. Then I realized I was beginning to turn my hobby into a chore and figured it was time to start enjoying all the great things on the shelf that I can get anytime and if I luck into something limited that was just a bonus. Besides these limited releases are really pushing the price point up to a level where I can enjoy a whole lot of common stuff compared to one bottle of limited. If it ever reaches a point where I no longer feel satisfied I will just move along to the next hobby.

BedetheVenerable likes this.
  13. BCBS ≠ whale.
    BA Bigfoot ≠ whale.

Whale hunting. You're doing it wrong.

14. atomic

I saw one BCBCS recently, packaged with a bottle of Juliet and going for $45. Considered it. Even brought the whole thing to the counter to ring out before deciding that $50 (after tax) will go to better use. I've had both before anyway.

15. I find an occasional hunt to be fun for something not too rare...and I love looking for local brews when I travel to bring home. But if I hunt more than that, then I feel I've lost my way and the point of beer advocacy. I'm lucky I live in an area where there are plenty of terrific beers on the shelf at all times.

jgluck, mecummins and JxExM like this.
  16. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I hear you. Since I've become more active on this site I've definitely engaged in a little whale hunting. I think I'm gonna go back to buying some more standard off the shelf beers for awhile. If I happen to stumble across a whale, then great. Also, FBS for $8.99? It's $16 here!

17. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (635) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

It's pretty readily available in Des Moines. I've even BCBCS in a few places recently.

On topic....yes, chasing beers can be a chore. I really don't do it unless it's something I've never had (example recently....Naughty Temple or Transatlantique Kriek). I'd rather just grab a sixer of a go to beer (Two Hearted or Centennial IPA, etc.) and drink those for the most part. Usually way cheaper too!

18. sdpaul

sdpaul Savant (285) California May 2, 2012

I feel this way it is usually the hunt that makes it fun the beer is almost all the time not as good as the hunt

19. I'm new to this and although I can never see myself being a Whale Hunter, I have been trading for some stuff that I can't get in my area (BCBS, Black Note, etc.); however, that doesn't take away from my continual enjoyment of FBS, Ten Fiddy, ABT 12, and other beers that are always sitting on the shelves of my local bottle shop. Can't wait to try my first KBS, but if I don't get any this year, it won't bother me.

barleywinefiend likes this.
  20. willbm3

I should clarify one thing: I would literally hunt a killer whale with nothing but a knife in order to try Cherry Rye

21. atomic

Limited release, rares, whatever you want to call them.

22. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Shelf walez (as defined in another thread about walez definitions)

Its all perspective. Cantillon is no walez of mine because I couldn't care less about sours and the pinky finger beers.
    :eek: Yeah, I said it.

23. Fujii13

Fujii13 Savant (250) New York Apr 27, 2011

Shelf whales. :rolleyes:

24. DogfishJoe

[​IMG]
    :)

adamant1912, luwak, Willbfun and 4 others like this.
  25. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

Nope, but then I never hunted. If one beached itself great, but I never joined the hunt. Minnows rule!

Rainblows likes this.

26. Starting to feel this way? I've always felt this way. I don't go out of my way for anything. I usually ask others to do it [not waiting in line but sending me something I can't get in my neck of the woods]. Sometimes I get what I ask for. Sometimes I don't. That's life in the big city.

barleywinefiend likes this.
  27. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (345) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

I think most people get to a point where they really start to appreciate the old standbys and the nice session beers. Once you've been let down by a few of the biggest hyped whales you start to realize it's probably not worth the trouble alot of the time. Then again, sometimes you come across something like Zombie Dust...

cfh64, nerdrocker101 and jgluck like this.
  28. willbm3

I'm not sure the point of your post...do you want me to hunt you down like Dutch did the Predator?

29. DogfishJoe

Or heady!!!

cjoc83, FriarTuckInLuck and jmmy3 like this.
  30. DogfishJoe

Bet I can drink it before you find me!

JohnnyMc, jglowe77 and Hopsiam14 like this.
  31. atomic

One of the beers that made me think this. I tracked down and bought a case of ZD. Opened it up expecting epicness, got decentness. Don't pity me though, having a case of ZD has opened the doors to a great many trade opportunity.

bozodogbreath and Revenant like this.
  32. Came across a bottle of this a couple weeks ago. Place wanted 50 bucks. So I left.

RelentlessLefty and jglowe77 like this.
  33. merc7186

merc7186 Savant (360) New York Dec 5, 2010

Don't confuse whales for Flavor of the Week. If you start thinking of it like that, then you won't go jumping at every new release.

trxxpaxxs, Sirvis, zestd and 3 others like this.
  34. atomic

So tired of price gouging liquor stores. I saw a place selling 4pks of BCBS for $50. This wasn't even when it sold out everywhere, it was still for sale for $26 in every other shop.

ressling likes this.
  35. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

That bottle better have fins to swim away with, cuz here I come!

36. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (635) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

The 4 packs of BCBS around here have been price reduced from $24.99 to $19.99 at all Hy-Vee stores recently. Don't like that beer enough to buy it even at that price. Will have a pour or two a year on tap, but that's about it.

37. RelentlessLefty

RelentlessLefty Savant (290) Iowa Nov 1, 2012

First off, I am only about one year into the BA scene. I dont really want to argue what is and what isnt a whale. With the little expirence I currently have i am am slowly understanding how typically the over hyped beers or whales typically are not worth the hassle. At the same time the "hunt" is exciting, and the taste of something new is invigorating. I would also like to add that if BCBS or BCBCS is not a whale for you(and $ isnt a problem).....I would drink the shit out of it. it still blows me away everytime!

EyePeeAyBryan, Rainblows and Coirm like this.
  38. shredder83

shredder83 Savant (430) Illinois Feb 21, 2013

To each their own. I'll leave the whale hunting to Ahab, I'm a new member so there are plenty of shelf brews for me to easily hunt for that I can't get where I'm at. I like to try new things that I cannot get here in Chicago, not the rarest stuff in the country but that's just my choice. I can't complain because I have readily available fff, founders, bells and other quality beers I'd gladly drink daily rather than selling a kidney to obtain a whale. If I'm lucky I'll get to find stuff or find cool traders willing to help me, if not I'll crack a zd or a fbs and relax.