1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Getting real tired of whales.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by atomic, Feb 27, 2013.

1. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Despite the lack of enthusiasm for your sentiment, I completely agree. Whales or no whales, hunting for beer, to me, should be a small part of the hobby. The money we spend on shipping alone could fund a smaller nation's craft beer habit entirely. Its nice to walk into a bottle shop and buy something for yourself that's readily available; that way, if you like it, you can easily get more. I'm with you.
    barleywinefiend likes this.
  2. wibeerman

wibeerman Zealot (75) Wisconsin Aug 2, 2012

If I don't drink all of the whales how will I win the contest?
    mjshearer1, Mgm54, luwak and 5 others like this.
  3. jglowe77

I see from your profile that you're in Boston. I live in Weymouth; if you wanna meet up somewhere, I'll share the Cherry Rye that I have.
  4. atomic

atomic Savant (415) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Now thats what being a BA is all about!
    Now if only someone would share some king henry with me....
  5. DinoFight

DinoFight Aficionado (235) Arizona Jan 23, 2013

Yep, don't really care myself. So many great beers out there that are readily available. If I happen upon a hard to find brew while I am already at the store, great. If not, no big deal to me. Life's much to short to spend time hunting and or worrying when the next hard to find beer will come out and if I will be able to get my hands on it.
  6. Benny3000

Benny3000 Savant (375) Michigan Apr 4, 2012

The only whale I have ever bagged I picked up at the local bar near my house. I didn't realize she was a whale until I woke up.
  7. Got there a long time ago. Have better things to do with my time, and money; like going 120 or 170mph instead of standing in line for an hour/hours for some "rare" beer these days.
    afrokaze likes this.
  8. waddellc2

waddellc2 Savant (400) Pennsylvania Aug 23, 2012

Hell yes. Overhyped and undersupplied. If majority of these beers were widely available I believe the hype would be SEVERELY diminished
    cfh64, Rainblows and Dan114 like this.
  9. atomic

As I posted this thread, I just got notification of this nearby

TONIGHT is our GOOSE ISLAND INVASION! Join us and THE Goose Island Brewery reps at 6 PM for some cool swag and great beer!!
    We will be featuring the following ........
    - SOFIE
    - MATILDA
    - GOLDEN GODDESS
    - GRAN GRAS
    - CASIMIR
    - 312 URBAN WHEAT
    - GREEN LINE PALE ALE
    - 2012 BOURBON COUNTY STOUT
    - 2012 BOURBON COUNTY COFFEE
    - 2012 CHERRY RYE BOURBON COUNTY
    - NIGHT STALKER
    - BIG JOHN
    - FLEUR
    - MARISOL

A little bit of irony here. Never tried Cherry Rye, I guess heres my chance. And love me some Fleur and Marisol.
    luwak, HipsterBrewfus and fishtremble like this.
  10. been that way for a while, myself.

I like my local beer, and it's cheap. Trading and wale-hunting burns quite a hole in your pocket.
    barleywinefiend likes this.
  11. Coirm

Coirm Aficionado (160) Illinois Dec 12, 2012

Where, please?
  12. Not a ticker or a whale hunter really but I def do enjoy trying new and outstanding beers !!!
  13. gregkoko

gregkoko Aficionado (235) New York Mar 12, 2010

I blame Trey. Always whale calling
  14. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

I don't have a huge amount of trades under my belt, but I have enough to realize that most beers aren't worth the hype. After I wrap up my last couple trades going right now I'm going to slow it down and maybe just trade for a few things I know I like a lot...stuff like Heady or GBS.

I bought several Fremont B-Bombs to trade this year, but after trading a couple away and drinking other hyped BBA beers, that B-bomb is as good as any BBA beer I've had...I'm keeping the rest of those suckers.

Although these aren't whales, just done with hunting...I hope :).
  15. atomic

World of Beer in Evanston.
    Don't go drinking all the Cherry Rye! I only get off work at 7 ; _ ;
  16. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

I see you live near me. I'll let you know when I'm ready to open up a KH that I have in my cellar. If you want to try the BA Bigfoot BM me.
    jglowe77 likes this.
  17. If you are tired of them, getting rid of them should be easy & not getting them requires less effort.
    As for me, I am not there yet but than again I am a ticker.
  18. yeah, they can fuck themselves. They had some other one-off bottles of a local brew that i know were 10-20 bucks more then they should be. So when I ran into the sales guy from said brewery and told him about it, he was dumbfounded as to why the place would do that.

If anyone from my neck of the woods is reading this, the place is Perfect Pour here in Columbia, MD.
  19. Coirm

Coirm Aficionado (160) Illinois Dec 12, 2012

I will try to leave some for you.... Thanks for info.
  20. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (335) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

First one I had I was like 'Hmm this is solid, not amazing.' and each one I opened since then I've appreciated even more. It really is such a well done beer, and I love Citra. Easily one of my favorites at this point.
    fullmetal1381 and willbm3 like this.
  21. atomic

I don't know about your example, but I know exactly why the place near me did it. It is in a VERY hipster neighborhood with tons of bars, but its one of the only places that sells liquor to go. I bet very often some drunken hipster comes in, sees the label, and just drops his credit card not thinking about the price. Everything in that store was massively overpriced. 6pks of stone and lagunitas that go for about $9 everywhere else were $16 or $17. 4pk of Brooklyn Black Chocolate was also $16 I think.
  22. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

As soon as I can find the Dutch to my Dillon I'm coming for ya
  23. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

ISO: yr whales FT: yr favorite shelf beers
    Photekut, jglowe77 and Jnorton00 like this.
  24. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Umm, yes please? I see from your profile picture that you fancy Heady Topper. I happen to have about 2 cases of it...
    ColdOne likes this.
  25. I don't mind seeking them out. The hunt is part of the fun.

What I hate is when the prices are jacked up. Thankfully here in the Boston area, we don't get a lot of that. Prices only tend to differ by a buck or two and the stores I frequent generally limit the sales of rares/whales to 1 per customer. I know of 2 stores that even broke out 4 packs of BCBS into singles to make sure more people got to try it, which still cracks me up as 3 years ago it used to sit on the shelf.
  26. jglowe77

I just got back from Vermont last weekend and I have about a case left :D but I'll share the Cherry Rye just the same. I don't need anything in return; I'm not gonna be able to drink it myself in one go anyway and I'd rather share it with someone who would appreciate it.
  27. jglowe77

So, what you're saying is that you fell asleep next to a Grey Monday and woke up next to a Bud Platinum?;)
    JohnnyMc and WassailWilly like this.
  28. atomic

Interested in Zombie Dust?
  29. Benny3000

Benny3000 Savant (375) Michigan Apr 4, 2012

More like I went to bed with a PBR and woke up with a Steel Reserve.
    MarkJBurch, bigedct and jglowe77 like this.
  30. atomic

Oh I'm certainly going to give it another go, followed by a few more goes :)
  31. I don't chase whales but I do get to taste them often because of my wonderful beer buddies.
    usofar and ehammond1 like this.
  32. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

They sound like amazingly progressive people to accommodate you like that.
  33. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

I've stopped buying shelf beers/going to hyped releases/etc., to strictly spend all my money on lambic. It's going swimmingly.
  34. jglowe77

Oh man, thanks for the laugh :D
  35. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I find that I'm enjoying whales as much as ever (and I'm not talking about anything super rare or coveted, just the typical beer that comes out on Tuesday and may be gone almost everywhere by Friday). But now that I've managed to pick up most of the big ones on my personal "must try" list and gotten a pretty good feel for the lay of the land, I care considerably less about chasing them down.

If I get it, great; if not, no biggie. If it's really good, they'll make more next time. If not, no huge loss.

Also, I've basically stopped trading. So I limit myself to what can be acquired in my distribution area, plus the occasional online order. That helps keep me both sane and in the black.
    jnoble likes this.
  36. I'll come at it from a bit of a different angle. Here in the Twin Cities, our biggest beer fest each year is Autumn Beer Review.

Last year I made a point of not standing in the huge lines that formed for the special releases from Surly and Founders and probably a few others. Instead I hit up breweries like Jolly Pumpkin, Fitger's, Dubrue, Alaskan, Central Waters, etc, I could go on and on. Little to no lines for these breweries, so I got to try a lot more beers, and while I'm sure the one's that people were waiting 30 minutes for were great beers, I doubt they were 15-30 times better, which is how much more time they had to invest to get a taste.

Same thing with hunting whales. I'll do it once in a while, but I'd usually rather spend half as much for twice as much beer that's probably just as good
  37. mother of god. where can one purchase this extraordinary koozie?
    ehammond1, JohnnyMc and darky like this.
  38. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (340) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

My problem is that I'm incredibly competitive and if I can't find something I try that much harder and wind up driving myself absolutely nuts. The hunt drives me mad, but there's a sick satisfaction after finding something that I thought I never would (ie Cherry Rye).
    ressling likes this.
  39. I got tired off it in about 3 months of being on BA, ha ha ha. I dabbled and got some interesting stuff. However, I found that it was costly endeavor and it never ended in a "HOLY SHIT THIS WAS TOTALLY WORTH IT" type moment. Some may say that was problem, my expectations were too high. But how can one not get high expectations when they spend time looking for a trading partner, then dump $16 into two bombers the other guy wants and $20 into shipping the darn things. It's hard to spend time and resources hunting down a beer that is only slightly better than what is available at multiple bottle shops near me. I'd rather take that aforementioned $36 and spend it on a sixer of Flower Power, a sixer of Noble Pils and a sixer of Long Trail Double Bag.
    LeRose and Crusader like this.
  40. ressling

ressling Savant (270) Georgia Oct 26, 2011

To me, it's all a matter of geography. I do loathe my chances of getting good beer in town, such as black note, KBS, etc. but I always find it fun and challenging if I have the time (and money) to find something that you just can't always get your hands on. Black Ops was probably my best score so far this year, but I even get excited about scoring something like Backwoods Bastard.

What's interesting is each brewery's release schedule versus actual distribution versus product actually showing up on shelves. It seems straight forward, yet an elusive process. Why are some beers harder to get than others? Why do some rare beers show up in hot spots while others are found in random nooks and crannies in town?

As they say, the fun is always in the chase. My wallet however, is not thanking me. The limited release craft beer thing is simple economics at its best.
    mjshearer1 likes this.