1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Getting real tired of whales.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by atomic, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

I want that koozi! And to be able to buy Surly all the time...... Getting a couple in a trade though (personal/pet whale lol)

2. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (595) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

Pretty easy to get in Des Moines IA, IMO. I bought a 4-pack last week.

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  3. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

I don't care about whales anymore. I did when I first joined but now I like to focus on beers that aren't distributed here. NN, HT, PtE, (all the acronym beers) are the ones I go for, along with the solid beers I get in my area. Shelf Wales are little different but hey, gotta drain my bank account somehow.

4. Whalez are like crack sir, you will be back.

WassailWilly likes this.
  5. lies. You would not have your ARM chomped off for some.Cherry Rye. *rolleyes*

luwak likes this.
  6. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2011

I've said multiple times "I'm done trading...have enough in the cellar...I can get good beers on the shelf"...then bam! Something nice hits the area or gets released and people start trading and the addiction gets the better of me. Just wish I had some better ammo to take care of my bigger "wants"; Silva, Black Tuesday, the upcoming release of Double Sunshine and the list goes on. This habit however has never stopped me from enjoying "the hunt" or cracking less readily available beers with my friends.

7. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I don't let myself get too excited about whales. For one, I'm in Northern Wyoming, and we have terrible distribution to begin with, let alone any chance of getting whales. So I don't bother getting my hopes up about anything big coming along. But also, I just don't think I'd enjoy obsessing over whales. I know I could get super into it, but I don't like the idea of it.

I don't want to spend huge bucks to trade (I don't even have anything available to me that's worth trading for whales). I don't want that obsessive always-want-what-I-can't-have feeling about beer when there's plenty of good beer around me. I don't want to get so excited about a hyped up beer only to be disappointed when I don't belch rainbows after drinking it. Conversely, I don't want to chase down a whale, fall in love with the beer and know I won't get to have more of it.

When I travel I definitely keep my eye out for exciting beers. At liquor stores, breweries in the area, or on beer menus. When I was in Denver last, I got to try Pliny the Elder. I hadn't planned it, wasn't expecting it, and I was just pleasantly surprised to have run across it. I probably enjoyed the beer a lot more than if I had overhyped it for myself. I'm not even sure if PtE is a real whale, but considering as how we're lucky to get Lagunitas regular seasonals up here, it was exciting for me to find.

No whales for me...I'm happy sticking to the local fish pond.

8. Bro that was so first leg summer 2010.

9. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

Not every aspect of my beer hobbies is a pure joy. I dont like hunting for beers, but I like finding them. I hate wrapping beer in socks and towels to put in my luggage, but I like when I finally get them into my fridge. I don't like bottling beer, but i like having homebrew available to drink.

10. Overlord

Overlord Initiate (0) California Jun 28, 2007

Once you have climbed the mountain, enjoyed the view, and earned the adulation/jealous/respect/admiration of others in the same pursuit, it is very easy to sit back and say "meh, not really worth it." This is because you have earned your stripes and are knowledgeable about the pros and cons.

The protean, wailing mass who are not among the elite cannot speak from such a perspective and must go through their own period of craving and searching. Only in this manner can they find wisdom. One can hear another tell of a journey, but until they have traveled the same road they are little more than mewling children on the subject matter.

11. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

I'm telling you man, once you start doing this you will save a lot of money and stress. People just want what they cannot have. I truly think that if you just go with the flow good things will eventually happen.

cfh64 and atomic like this.
  12. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

I wake up with morning wood a much higher percentage of days after wale tastings as opposed to regular tastings.

Wales 1
    Shelf turdz 0

luwak and liamt07 like this.
  13. mellowmark

And what of those doth went to the mountain and be still not satisfied, henceforth?

luwak likes this.
  14. dman127

dman127 Aficionado (240) Illinois Jul 11, 2011

Try the Gran Gras. One of my favorites from GI.

15. mellowmark

I don't like reading posts longer than two sentences, but I found yours enjoyable.

FriarTuckInLuck and jglowe77 like this.
  16. mellowmark

17. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

don't need to hunt. I gotta guy...;)

18. Definitely tired of whales

Czar_chasm likes this.
  19. Not as easy as you are imagining.

20. Overlord

Overlord Initiate (0) California Jun 28, 2007

Then, at least, they can reject the mountain from a place of personal knowledge and experience and not from infantile populist assumptions.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  21. I too have had an ale-rection the morning following tastings. Glorious feeling.

luwak likes this.
  22. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (640) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I like hunting for new beers, but I'll be honest. It gets old, and the point is that, half of these beers, you wouldn't know, or care about unless you read about them on here.

I get lucky and get some sought after beers, but when it gets down to it, I enjoy drinking beer, more than I do hoarding it. Many people, especially ones here, will hunt shit out, hoard it because it's so rare, and then never drink the shit. Instead, it's trade bait, or it's something to show a picture of, and leave it as that.

If thats makes them happy, by all means. Some like the hunt, and some like the catch, and some like the meal.

I have some beers tucked away for special days or occasions, or pretty much any day I deem myself ready to sit back and enjoy something I can't get everyday.

I no longer get pissed that I can't get something, or it's ran out. Sure does suck, but I wake up in the morning still, and still get to drink other beers, so in the end it's not really worth the pissing and moaning.

It's still beer, and it's still made to be drank. It's not an investment, and it's not some life altering elixir that needs to be saved for my grandchildren.

BlastBeats and BottleCaps80 like this.
  23. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

Why can't you do both?

Sure, I am spoiled in Chicago and drink Zombie Dust nearly every day, but I drink a few of my favorites pretty frequently and then also go to bottle shares and open some nice bottles.

I will never ever regret my decision to trade for Blauw.

Tnudish likes this.
  24. alucard6679

alucard6679 Savant (260) Arizona Jul 29, 2012

If I see it, and I have the money it's mine. If not, oh well. Not really worth it for me. Just got a mix-a-six at frys of all sucks for 8.99 (usually its 11 after tax), beatin' the system lol

25. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (310) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

I just want CBS. Someday...

CMUbrew likes this.
  26. I'm starting to lean that way.

Oh, and if anyone did miss BCBS this year, I just saw 16 cases of it just sitting there in Beer World up near Cornwall, NY.

27. The whole scene reminds me of baseball cards back in the late 80's/90's. it was all about what you couldn't have/get, driving up prices, lines, hype...

That being said, still not completely tired of it yet. Looking forward to ebf next weekend ;)

JeffTheJuice, hwy395 and cartoonshop like this.
  28. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Cherry rye not worth losing your mind over. Great beer, but it's just that. A beer.

I've been feeling the same way. Realized that I've had like 7 of the top ten, and could name 10 beers ahead of those that I would rather have,t hata re much easier to find. So sick of paying 15, 20, 25, 30 dollars for a single bottle of beer. So done. Great lagers and easy to get stouts and solid sours will do it for me from now on. Let the nerds troll for whales.

29. hwy395

hwy395 Aficionado (235) California Jan 20, 2012

If you are in Indiana, my good man, I'll send you what ever you want from Cali for the amazing beers from FFF...IPAs alone, the list is too long to write down, right now ;-)

30. hwy395

Best analogy of the day ! I got a Gary Sheffield error card and a Billy Ripken flip off card to trade for three Ken Griffey Jr. rookie cards. Holy hell, you brought back memories

mightyatom and BottleCaps80 like this.
  31. i can see it now,in a few years my cantillon gueuze = shitty 1987 topps complete set. bourbon county beanie babies, tickle me pliny.fuck

beertunes and mightyatom like this.
  32. and so the bubble popped...

33. where the hell can I get that coozie

34. fullmetal1381

fullmetal1381 Savant (270) Florida Jul 30, 2011

I love this thread, because I was thinking the same thing as the OP just recently.

Hunahpu's Day is coming up. I love me some Hunahpu, and live within driving distance (<1 hour) of CCB, but when I heard that the gates were opening at 7:50 AM, and reasoned that I would have to get there by about 6 AM, meaning I would have to wake up somewhere around 5 AM, I said to myself, "for BEER? F*** that noise..."

My only lament is that I have no go to year round Imperial Stout. Old Rasputin and Yeti, to me, are only okay, and gone were the days when you could reasonably expect Ten Fidy to be on shelves year round.

hwy395 likes this.
  35. this is really gonna piss you off then...FBS can be bought here for $5.99 per 4pk

36. hwy395

Living in Northern California, my problem has been that now that I've had my DIPA whales:
    Hopslam
    Zombie Dust
    Abrasive
    Heady
    Double Galaxy
    Double Sunshine
    Citra ( Kern River )
    Pure Hoppiness

I say to myself, there is no where to go from here and i start looking at those Betty Ford type hospices to clear my system ;-)

37. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Coming late to the party but...... there are so many great local brews right now I have no need for whales.

YogiBeer likes this.
  38. mactrail

mactrail Champion (775) Washington Mar 24, 2009

I believe the technical term is "Whale Hugger."

Brewsephus likes this.
  39. After reading the posts, I thought I might weigh in on the subject. BTW, many of you crack me up with your posts. Makes for a fun evening of reading.

So, hunting whales. We all do it or have done it at some point in our beer career. Is it worht it or not, can't say one way or the other. I have been frustrated by DLD and the way that is handled, frustrated by KBS release and how that gets handled. But the one thing I find after all the frustration is the BA's that come to those events. Those BA's bring goodness that was hidden in a cellar for a special day. I feel prided that someone I have never meet, have no real connection to other than the love of beer, would bring their pride and joy to share. That to me makes the hunt worth while.

I have stood in line for many years now attending DLD. Rain, cold, sun, bad ticket sales through some poor website, it's been a roller coaster. The one thing that brings me back is the people I meet. They just make the whole process and heartache worth the while. While I agree that there are local beers that are just as good if not better than the whales, its the great folks I meet at the events that make me want to keep hunting. So thanks to those of you that I might meet one day with bomber in hand willing to share a taste of heaven. I will keep my spear gun in hand in hopes of landing the next great BA.

Cheers

JohnnyMc and Nectar like this.