1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Getting real tired of whales.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by atomic, Feb 27, 2013.

1. I Am Ahab......

shredder83 and BKBassist like this.
  2. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Here in Miami there really seems to never be any whales to chase, unless you make the trip to Hunahpu day. Or if you consider Marshall Zhukov a whale.
    There also was that one time CCB distributed Moat Water, and I missed out, and ended up having to pay twice as much to have it at a bar.
    Anyway, what exactly is the criteria for a whale?

3. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

How is that possible?

4. I dunno. Theres cases of it still. At Sams

5. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

Living 2 miles away from FFF relieves this tension for me. Yet even with my proximity, I don't buy the barrel aged stuff or anything like that. I'm really just not willing to spend a lot on beer when, like the thread starter said, I can get so many good beers for a reasonable price. The only things I can't get here I'm sure I have more than adequate substitutes for.

6. Thats what fireworks are for

7. atomic

atomic Savant (445) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Hmm that one I DIDNT try tonight. I had a sample before at Yard House and it tasted awful! they said however that the keg had been tapped months ago. I did want to try it again tonight and see if maybe the one at yard house was no good, but our server today was a real bitch and honestly I just wanted to drink the ones I came there for and get out.

Had myself the Cherry Rye. Very good, but honestly a little bit of a let down for all the hype.
    Fleur which I think aged poorly. It was a lot better 6 months ago when I had it.
    Marisol which was even better than I remembered it. I so wish they would bottle it.
    And Golden Goddess which was, interesting... Probably won't order it again, it needs some refinement, but the potential is certainly there.

YogiBeer likes this.
  8. Damn!!! Will there be a follow up video to this so we see what happened?

9. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (350) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

But then there are days like today when I get my box from a trade in w/ Black Note and Zombie Dust (Thanks mestangley1!) AND grab the last bottle of BA Bigfoot at my newly favorite beer store. Not the top of the line whales, I know, (hell, maybe not whales at all to some of you) but it made me really happy. Today is why I keep doing it and it's going to be a great weekend!

10. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (455) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

i need this. where can it be obtained?

11. They sink

GoGators and Nectar like this.
  12. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

This bit should be available on lacquered plaques to be hung on our walls.

fullmetal1381 and atomic like this.
  13. dar482

dar482 Advocate (690) New York Mar 9, 2007

I guess I'm lucky to live in NYC, but not everything comes through here. I know that Pliny and other Russian River brews aren't going to come through here.
    Hell, it's nigh impossible to find Heady Topper, though I did find it once. Forget about Maine Co. Lunch or Hill Farmstead, despite all these being in the Northeast.

In the end, we have incredible beer stores and so many beer bars. I enjoy hunting down beers in this city. It doesn't even have to specifically be the Top 250 or Beer of Fame. I just want to enjoy good stuff and try new things.

Tldr; If you're not enjoying yourself, you're doing it wrong.

14. dman127

dman127 Aficionado (240) Illinois Jul 11, 2011

Bummer about the Gran Gras not being fresh...or maybe we have different tastes. :)
    I do agree about Marisol - would love to see bottled. Maybe one day.

15. I'm a ticker and I'm gonna tick, but I'm also a simple teacher with student loans, car payments, and a baby on the way so hunting whales is incredibly hard for me to justify. I will occasionally splurge and I do tend to spend more than I should on beer, but I tend to do my best to try as many beers as I can for my money. If I happen upon something great like Hopslam, Founders Breakfast Stout, or any of the reasonably priced one-offs, I'll probably pick them up if they're a style I enjoy, but I won't seek them out. I have beer friends that are great about sharing, and let's be honest, with over 85,000 beers on this site none of us will ever be able to try them all.

Challenge accepted?

fullmetal1381 and VonZipper like this.
  16. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (540) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

3 a day for 85 years. Easy.

JohnnyMc, luwak and tdm168 like this.
  17. In order to stay active on this site and keep myeself from receiving another "Inappropriate Content" notification I will keep my opinion of whalez and their dirty plague upon the BA community to meself.

WassailWilly likes this.
  18. watsonmd

watsonmd Savant (365) Georgia May 16, 2009

Says a man who's photo shows him in front of SIX FLATS of Westy XII??? Dude, you are a whale farmer...

19. jsm1289

jsm1289 Aficionado (175) New York Mar 11, 2011

alls i can say is, if everyone here decides to stop hunting whales, then it will become easier to hunt the whales and people like me will have an easier time tracking them down , much like virginity pledges of our earlier years, i think everyone should sign an " I will not hunt whales" pledge, and i will agree to hunt and hoard all whales, thus eliminating whales,. here here !

20. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

So thats why your gonna send out some SITRw/Peaches that you got so many of as a Bruery hoarder since you have been to the mountain top right? ; )

Overlord likes this.
  21. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

No you're not. You're a deck hand.

DmanGTR likes this.
  22. Touché. I was on vacation in Belgium; it would have been a sin not to go to St. Sixtus.

craigo19, ChugLife and watsonmd like this.
  23. watsonmd

watsonmd Savant (365) Georgia May 16, 2009

trade? ;)

24. You live in Skokie and didn't get any bcbs? That shit was everywhere and still is showing up on draft. If you are in the Aurora area send me a message and I have a bottle for you.

25. there is so much amazing shelf beer, whales are just a waste of time and money. very few live up up the hype.

beercanman and WassailWilly like this.
  26. atomic

:) I appreciate the offer, but I actually did get it, just saying hypothetically if I hadn't, oh well.
    Actually was at a tap takeover on wednesday that had all 3 of the BCBS on draft. Had Cherry Rye for the first time.

kawilliams81 likes this.
  27. atomic

Its possible the keg they had was infected. It tasted like rotten fruit. Or maybe fruity beers can spoil? I don't know...

I noticed a similar flavor in the Fleur. Hoping it was just that keg and I won't get that in my bottles.

28. just curious where did u see bcbcs at in des moines? id love to get my hands on some.. agreed about the bcbs though ive seen it at quite a few places

29. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Pleasant Hill Hy-Vee, Keg Stand and El Bait had bottles recently. Not sure if they still do?

30. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I like to try stuff I haven't had before, but you can't hunt whales in NC, they just don't live here. I did get a CBS the first year it was bottled but I traded it to Ca for a slew of IPA's, haven't seen it since..

31. Overlord

Overlord Initiate (0) California Jun 28, 2007

BWAAHAHAHAH. You amuse me greatly.

luwak likes this.
  32. word i will check it out thanks

33. CoachC

CoachC Aficionado (165) Florida Nov 25, 2012

I too am sick of hunting for highly sought after beers. Too much money and time. I now buy what's fresh, readily available, and well priced. Been loving the lagunitas products lately--cheap and hoppy good!!

34. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

A cabin boy.

35. AlexFields

AlexFields Advocate (540) Tennessee Dec 13, 2009

Usually when I decide there are probably shelf beers around just as good as be rare stuff I trade for, I end up spending a lot of money on some mediocre to good beers and feeling disappointed. When I take the time to track down rare stuff with 4.3-4.6 ratings or whatever, I'm usually at least satisfied and occasionally blown away by a sublime experience that I'll remember for years.

Fou'Foune, BA Abraxas, brandy barrel old stock, etc., are beers that were worth whatever effort it took because I just couldn't have had anyhing that good otherwise.

36. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (480) New York Jan 24, 2013

If you can't find Hill Farmstead in NYC, it is you who are doing it wrong, sir.

37. dar482

dar482 Advocate (690) New York Mar 9, 2007

What are you talking about? Everett has only been in a couple places in NYC because of Beer Week. Otherwise, we don't get any. You surely can't buy it at a shop.

38. I agree, chasing hores can be a whale. At any rate, I just picked up 2 cases of Founder's Breakfast Stout for $4.69 a 4 pack and whale or not, I'll enjoy all 48 bottles with love and devotion. Cheers !!

39. Thank the beer gods I have a solid trade partner in Shytown (who is also a BLACKHAWKS fan (GO Hawks 18-0-3) and you guys up there have some amazing brews .... FFF, Pipeworks, Central Waters, Goose Island). I could definitely live off of the great off the shelve brews for many years ifn I were there. Cheers and GO HAWKS !!

shredder83 and atomic like this.
  40. I only wish I could be in your shoes, I would drink that shyt faster than I could pizz it out. Outstanding brew irregardless if ABinBev owned em or not. Cheers you lucky suns uh beach

FriarTuckInLuck likes this.