1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Getting Westvleteren in person?

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by RJNEPH, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Hey,

First time writing on a forum but long time follower. I just have a couple of quick questions if you could please help me with. I am going to paris at the End of august. My girlfriend and I are thinking of making a trip into brussel and maybe Westvleteren (if i can convince her). I was wondering do you know if you have to pick up a crate in person at Westvleteren or it can be shipped to Paris? Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Ryan
  2. belvedere86

belvedere86 Savant (455) Belgium Apr 1, 2013

You have to reserve by phone and give them your number plate. And then you will have 2 crates. But you can also purchase a 6 pack at the brewery but that depends if they still have enough supply.
  3. The monks do not ship beers ryan....you will have to go there and hope that they will sell the twelve at Cafe in de Vrede when you are there. Ordering the beer will take a lot of time and luck cause its very hard to get them on the phone. Shoot me a mail and i can ship you a sixpack to your hotel.....
  4. shnsajax

shnsajax Savant (285) Texas Jul 2, 2013

Either way go in person it is worth the experience. Make sure its not on a Thursday or Friday as they will be closed. Also stay at the B&B at St. Bernardus for a couple of nights. Trust me this might be the highlight of yours and your GF's trip. The place in increadible, they give you bikes to ride into Watou and a beer fridge of St. Bernardus. Email them as soon as you can to make reservations as they only have I think 11 or 13 rooms. Jackie is the lady who runs the place and is an incredible person.
  5. Infinite1

Infinite1 Savant (310) Illinois Jul 2, 2010

Ever see that movie named "Hostel" ?
  6. Just looked into the Bed and Breakfast ... Ill be around that way in September, but can you get ot the B&B on public transportation?
  7. shnsajax

shnsajax Savant (285) Texas Jul 2, 2013

The train will take you to Poperinge, from there you will need to take a Belbus (basically a taxi shuttle service) or rent a car to get to the B&B. Jackie at the B&B will schedule the belbus for you based on when you are scheduled to arrive on train. Its a really nice and simple service. We used it to get to Westvletren and back into Poperinge for day trips and rode bikes in Watou when we wanted to go there. The cost is usually around 5 euro's a person per trip, anywhere between 2-6 people on it at a time.