1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $14.99 (US/print only). Offer ends April 30. Subscribe now! (Because great beer deserves great stories AND readers.)

Ghost Face Killah in Austin?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by johnsaulrubio, Feb 23, 2012.

1. johnsaulrubio

johnsaulrubio Savant (280) Texas Dec 2, 2006

Did we ever get any Twisted Pine Ghost Face Killah? I know they were releasing it in TX, but I haven't seen it in any stores. Has anyone else?

Cheers!

2. ehsteve

ehsteve Savant (260) Texas Jan 13, 2009

I never saw any myself, but if anyone knows anything I'm interested as well.

3. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (610) Texas Nov 27, 2011

I've never seen it at any of my haunts in the Austin area....

4. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Never saw a bottle at the 4 or 5 stops I make every couple of weeks. I asked a couple of the "beer guys" if they heard anything about Ghost Face Killah and they had no info. I'm guessing it didn't make it down here...

5. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (615) Texas Nov 20, 2011

I was in Austin last weekend. I'm pretty sure I saw it because my wife commented on the Twisted Pine - she likes the Raspberry which they didn't have. I think it was at the Hyde Park Market (I think that's the name) at 45th and Duvall. That store has tons of stuff, but they priced well in excess of the competition.

6. kmello69

Hmm. I'll be near there tomorrow, so I'll look and see. But I was in there a few weeks ago and didn't see it (and yes, their prices are WAY high - I'll try Sunrise as well; prices are better)

7. Show

Show Aficionado (235) Texas Jul 21, 2011

r u sure it wasn't the billies chillies??

8. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (615) Texas Nov 20, 2011

I'm not sure. GFK sounds familiar to me, Billies doesn't

9. Show

Show Aficionado (235) Texas Jul 21, 2011

just checking.. the billies has been in tx for about a week or two..

ghost face is still in limbo as far as i have heard...

10. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (380) Texas Aug 13, 2010

I haven't seen it in Corpus yet. Since its new to Texas it probably got held up.

11. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Savant (380) Texas Apr 30, 2011

We have been getting Twisted Pine in Houston for a while, I have been watching for the GFK, and watching....and watching....the thing with TX distribution with out of state beers, you never know when it could hit, and even the inside guys have no clue!

12. miikezombie

Does anyone know if its coming in 6 or 4 packs? Last year they sold them for $3 a single in Colorado. I really don't want more than 2 bottles of this and breaking up 6 packs isn't an option locally.

13. LadyOfMuchBeer

I think Todd's post about this beer jumped the wagon a little early possibly. This was released in May last year, it may have not even released yet at all. I could be wrong..but I could also be right.

14. miikezombie

According to the following link it was released on January 5th. I just got Old Rasputin XIV locally and its been out for months. So....maybe any day now.
    http://www.fermentedlychallenged.com/p/colorado-beer-releases.html?m=1

15. lokieman

Hyde Park Market (aka..the flag store) definitely makes you pay for it. He said he was charging $27 for a BA Old Raspy that I picked up for $20 at Specs. I'm in there about once a week at least and I'm 99% sure I've never seen Ghost Face...if i did I would buy it. Probably another "label issue" holding things up...YAY TABC!

16. kmello69

No sign of it today. Who knows what tomorrow brings.

17. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

Anyone seen any BA Old Raspy still around Austin, I missed this one.

18. lokieman

They still had a few bottles left at Specs Arbor Walk Wednesday and I think he had a couple at Hyde Park Market. I would go to Specs and if they don't have it you could ask them to check the other locations but don't have any solid knowledge of any bottles floating around...

19. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

Thanks, I will check around.

20. johnsaulrubio

johnsaulrubio Savant (280) Texas Dec 2, 2006

Checked Specs Arbor Walk, and they said that it hadn't been approved for sale yet, but that they'd be carrying it when it did.

21. isitsavage

isitsavage Aficionado (160) Texas Feb 9, 2011

Hey just wanted to let you all know I saw this at Whip In last night about 7:45 PM or so. Single bottles, near the end of the line of coolers with the bombers.

22. raffy313

raffy313 Savant (425) Texas Dec 15, 2010

Little tip, guys... save your money for something, oh I don't know... good! This beer is purely a novelty, and for beer geeks who are curious about just how "hot" a chile beer can get. If you're looking for that... go for it! If you're looking for flavors other than just chili and HEAT, go for their Northstar Imperial Porter(...if you haven't already).

Not that these bottles will break any bank(paid about 3 bucks for a 12 oz)... but I actually regretted laying down those 3 bones after drinking this beer. Just my opinions, guys.

23. lokieman

I just got one of these in trade the other day and I couldn't agree more. Spicy as hell and not much flavor comes through all the heat. Novelty beer for sure and very glad it was just an extra and I didn't give up anything for it...

24. kspongeworthy

kspongeworthy Savant (305) Texas Feb 25, 2011

I got a bottle at DQ here in Houston so it is in Texas. Haven't tried it yet, I'm expecting the worst.

LadyOfMuchBeer likes this.
  25. Eurytos

Eurytos Aficionado (140) Texas Dec 3, 2010

I was preparing myself for a pepper onslaught but I was disappointed. The beer is the the spiciest one I have had to date but if they are looking for novelty hot it fell short for me. I hate to trash talk brewers trying something different but this tasted like someone dumped a bunch of chili's into a standard BMC. If the base beer would have been something with substance I think they could have pulled it off.

26. rococola

rococola Disciple (60) Texas Dec 25, 2010

I have seen two open bottles at Whip In, on two different occasions. Not sure where they are coming from though.

27. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (345) Texas Oct 21, 2008

I tried one of these in New Orleans on my bachelor party. Not a single person in our group of 12 could take more than one taste. It kind of became a game of trying to trick everyone into drinking it again throughout the night. It was worth the $3 or $4 for that. Otherwise it was pretty rough.

28. lokieman

Brodie Specs had quite a bit on the shelf today if anybody is still looking for it...singles only $3 a pop

29. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Savant (400) Texas Jan 20, 2010

may pick one of these up for the experience

30. LadyOfMuchBeer

Took so long to get here, I lost interest. Probably all for the best.

31. lokieman

you're not missing much...I didn't buy one for myself having already tasted it if that tells you anything.

32. ehsteve

ehsteve Savant (260) Texas Jan 13, 2009

Screw the haters, I drank an entire bottle and wanted another.