1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

GI Clybourn

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Stevedore, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I'm probably heading over to GI Clybourn while I'm in Chicago this weekend. But this got me thinking about the relationship between GI Clybourn and GI itself. I recall reading in the past that John Hall kept the brewpubs (both Clybourn and Wrigley, I think) when he agreed to sell GI to AB InBev.

But they seem to still be linked somehow. gooseisland.com still has the brewpubs on the site, and they carry the GI year-rounds.. but not the big brews that come out of the Fulton St brewery, like Big John or BCBS, etc. Heck, they were known to carry GI snifters at different points. What's up with the relationship? Independently owned, but somehow still linked by the brand name?

2. billywan

billywan Aficionado (180) Illinois Jan 20, 2009

Independently owned but linked by brand name is my understanding.
    They have most of the goose stuff on tap, but the highlight really is whatever they brewed at the brewpub. These days, that's about half of what they have on tap at any given time.

chanokokoro likes this.
  3. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

The brewpubs are separate from the Fullton St. brewery, and it's my understanding they actually have to purchase all the regular beers that aren't brewed on site. It's the supposed reason that King Henry was $25 at Clybourn when released. They had to buy it and sell it at a bar markup. You can find Night Stalker and Big John there on occasion as well, but again, it'll be marked up, so you're better off going across the street to Castle Vav.

4. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Advocate (585) Illinois Apr 29, 2012

As a relatively frequent regular @ GI Clybourn it is my understanding that what billy wan and dvelcich said are correct. I do know that most of the beers served @ the brewpub are actually brewed on premise, even the standard GI lineup like 312 or Green Line. Same recipes. But for those special GI beers like BCBS's they can't brew because they don't have the facilities at the brewpub so they're just like any other bar, they have to purchase the kegs from the Fulton St. Brewery.

5. DanH11

DanH11 Aficionado (160) Illinois Feb 26, 2012

In addition, AB owns the Goose Island name. The brewpubs have leased it for 10 years(ish). AB can decide not to renew it at the end of the term, so down the road the brewpubs may have different names.

6. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (400) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

Am I the only one amazed at the amount of information beer lovers posses in the great lakes forum about the business side of beer? Distribution laws, parent company ownership relationship, distributor partnerships......damn you guys are impressive.

7. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

This is actually pretty typical for breweries that also own pubs/restaurants.
    Dogfish doesnt own their namesake places either... and I think rogue is a separate entity as well, but not 10% on rogue.

8. Source? Only because... that just doesn't make sense to me. Why make beer that someone else has already made? And making small batches of 312 does not take advantage of the economies of scale that you get at Fulton. If true, I can understand the emotional appeal of making some of the classic beers on-site but financially? I don't get that.

I've always been curious what the contract looks like between AB InBev and the brewpubs. They share websites, logos, trademarks, etc. - but are separate legal entities.

9. thereal

thereal Aficionado (180) Illinois Apr 20, 2010

This one chunk of info isn't exactly true. The beer menu denotes what is brewed on site vs. what is not, and the regular GI stuff is not brewed on site.

http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/clybourn_beer_menu/128.php

10. mjohnson17

You're right with the menu denotion.

I was just going off what one of the bartenders told me. I might have incorrectly extrapolated some data from what he said, but basically one time while eating lunch there I asked what they were brewing today, to which the bartender said "Mild Winter". Guess I assumed that meant they also brew the rest of GI's regular line up.

It does make much more sense with economies of scale that the brewpub gets GI's normal lineup from the Fulton brewery. My the bartender was wrong, maybe it was a special batch, maybe they were experimenting, who knows.

11. Except that the regular goose lineup isn't brewed at Fulton. Beers like 312 and Honkers are brewed at InBev breweries. I believe the IPA is the only regular still brewed at Fulton.

mjohnson17 likes this.
  12. mjohnson17

you get what I meant.

13. Vav

Vav Savant (485) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

IPA has been brewed at Baldwinsville, NY for months now and is tasting better and more dialed in than it ever has.

MarcatGSB likes this.
  14. billywan

Bottle or draft? I will say I had the IPA a few months back for the first time in years and really loved it. Wasn't sure if it was my tastes changing or the beer getting better, but it's a really nice beer.

15. Vav

Vav Savant (485) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Both.

16. billywan

Ha. Isn't it funny how every now and then mass production can actually improve on something by really dialing it in? Or maybe just throwing different/more resources at it? There are so very many things to hate about IN/BEV, but I can't say they've fucked up Goose yet.

Vav and MarcatGSB like this.