1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Girardin Gueuze Black Label makes return to U.S.

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Bitterbill, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

LambicKing likes this.
  2. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

I saw this too but Black Label has always been relatively easy to find around Colorado, I wonder at what time it supposedly stopped being shipped? Maybe my store just had a bunch in the back?
  3. Bitterbill

I reckon, not that you have to have it super fresh to enjoy it.;)
  4. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

5. Bitterbill

Ha! I found a review from March by 51mmzOrz, and the cork was a 2012! Something funny going on here?
  6. This has been entirely unavailable in the UK since late last year. Does anyone know if there's been production issues?
  7. Bitterbill

I have no idea but maybe they are just cutting back on exports. Like what Cantillon has done. :(
  8. Yeah, I think you're right.
  9. Bitterbill

Are you finding any Oude Gueuze Tilquin?
  10. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Yeah, haven't seen Tilquin on shelves in the States since December. From what I hear, Cantillon isn't decreasing shipments to the States, it's just being hoarded by the masses. They are even supposed to increase US distro over the next few years due to brewery expansion. I'm guessing that will just be more for the insiders to hoard and I'll still have to mule it from Belgique.

Edit: Same here, I haven't noticed any drop (or increase) in Black Label availability.
  11. Bitterbill

In my review from 2007, I quoted: 10709 on the cork. It's anybody's guess what that means. Sept 7, 2001?

Edit: I just looked at my Tilquin cork. It says ref B 1011. Label says best before 15/02/2021. B stands for February?
  12. Could be a best before date, October 70, 3009.
    gigaknight likes this.
  13. SeaWatchman

SeaWatchman Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2012

Fixed that for you.
    sliverX, sethbradley and LambicKing like this.
  14. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Must depend on where you live. I've got a few of the 375 bottles resting quietly in the basement that were given a good home in late May.
    LambicKing likes this.
  15. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

I'm guessing so...granted I wasn't on a mission to find it, I've looked in southeast VA, southern NH, near DC, OKC, and 4 Belgian cities. Betcha can't guess which of those I noticed that had it. :)
  16. Yeah, actually, that hasn't been a problem. If anything I've seen more and more of that in recent months, in places where I wouldn't expect to find it.
    The thing about Girardin though is that, aside from being delicious, it's bloody good value.
  17. Hopefully this makes it to CA. I am currently seeing Tilquin and Drie Fonteinen on the shelf. No Cantillon to speak of. More gueuze is fine by me.
  18. Tilquins are still fairly easy to come by in NYC at this point. The Girardin Black was around and sitting on shelves in a few places until about a month ago.
  19. Unless this is coming in the 750 mL I'm not concerned... Have too many 375s from when they were available a year or so ago on the shelves here.
  20. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

as of a couple weeks ago Tilquin and Fonteinen was still on some shelves here in Richmond.
    picked up some Girardin Black when I was in Chicago for DLD...
  21. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

Love Black Label. I miss the days when it was readily available. At one point, I had more bottles of this beer in my cellar than anything else.
  22. This is very suprising to me and completely contrary to what I am hearing from my Flemish Gueze moles..... I have been told recently by a very solid source overthere that Giradin was having major production issues this year and that there was goingbme minimal if any new lambic this year. Basically his message was to buy as much as you can find.

Not that I am complaining the shit is awesome.
  23. SeaWatchman

SeaWatchman Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2012

Uh oh.... This is the exact same kind of thread that created the giant run on cantillon.
  24. Lets hype more lambic. A couple years ago William Van Herreweghen told me Hanssens would eventually close because there was no family available to take over. Buy up all the Hanssens while you still can.
  25. That wasn't my intent. There is also a strong possibility that the shortage my buddy mentioned has nothing to do with these bottles. They were probably filled/blended a while back and that was likely to be from older lambic stock.

Generally these days when I see Gueuze I buy it. No matter the blender/brewer. It's not going to go bad in the cellar and they are all small artisnal producers so you don't really know when it is gonna be available again. And with all these beer-geeks jumping on the Gueze band wagon demand has increased 10 fold in the past few years.l

Cantillon is not the only great Lambic producer... Just the most hyped one. Not the best either in my opinion.
    ArrogantB likes this.
  26. That is a good one... I love the Fou Foune rush a few years back. Everyone was freaking out when they heard that it was being discontuned. Trading crazy ass shit for bottles. LOL
  27. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

And Girardin Black Label 1882 is definitely one of the top-tier guezes available. Just popped a bottle last night and it reminded me just how good it really is. Absolutely delicious!
    tendermorsel likes this.
  28. Year's back? It never ended.
  29. Based on the fact that I could have bought an entire pallet at the brewery last fall I question that at this point.

Besides I have seen the back of ray's trunk:) No shortage of Cantillon there! lol
  30. You could've bought the entire allotment for the U.S.

For a fraction of the price too!

31. It was hilarious.. Some local (assuming) had two guys working at Cantillon pull a pallet of Fou Foune with a hand truck to his double parked car out in front of the brewery. Now that is a baller move....
  32. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

I've seen lots of Black Label (as well as Tilquin) on the shelf in Chicago.
    chanokokoro likes this.
  33. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

I bought several bottles of Girardin a couple months back. That being said I am also of the mindset that if I see gueuze I buy it because you might not see it again. Hanssens was gone for a long time, haven't seen 3F in at least six months, Cantillon is a clusterfuck when a few cases make it to CO, and we don't get Tilquin here. Oddly Hanssens recently returned and I bought a bunch but people seem to be ignoring it and leaving it on the shelf. Fools.:cool:
  34. chanokokoro

Same here. I have no problem getting it currently.
  35. chanokokoro

As far as Hanssens, the same is true here in Chicago. At the moment, the Oude Gueze and Oude Kriek are very easy to obtain. As far as 3F I did reach deep in the wallet a couple of days ago for a Schaerbeekse Kriek 750 ml and know of a couple of stores that have it currently. Cantillon is nearly impossible to get everywhere it seems. Cantillon has huge name recognition (and 3F is a step below but increasing), especially with those just starting to explore lambics and guezes, and for good reason, amazing brews. However, there are so many high-quality breweries like Hanssens and Girardin, who compare favorably with Cantillon that are being passed by. Fine by me!
  36. Most of the gueuze floating around here in Durham, NC was from last year at least (some from 2009)--that includes Girardin, Hanssens, and Oud Beersel. The newest stuff has been a new batch Cantillon Classic and Hanssens Oudbeitje Lambic.
  37. I don't think it ever stopped being shipped... I think D&V just used Beerpulse to hype Girardin. I think this probably always came over 2 to 3 times a year and D&V just wanted to tell the world that the latest batch is hitting shelves. In the last year and a half I've purchased at least four different batches of Girardin (Dx2011, Ex2011, Fx2012, and most recently Ax2013).
  38. I doubt the B is February... I have A 1011 with a best by of February 10, 2021, B 1011 with a best by of March 2, 2021, and C 2011 with a best by of April 10, 2021.