1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

GL Edmund Fitzgerald vs. Founders Porter

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tectactoe, Nov 20, 2012.

?

Would you choose GL Edmund Fitzgerald vs. Founders Porter as the better American porter?

1. Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald

202 vote(s)
    49.8%
  2. Founder's Porter

204 vote(s)
    50.2%
  1. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

A buddy of mine and I were having a discussion about our favorite and most drinkable American porter. For each of us, it came down to Edmund and Founder's Porter. Personally, I choose Founders just by a hair. But Edmund is close behind. These seem to be two highly touted porters among BA's, so I was just curious as to what you guys think.

If you HAD to choose one of those two, which would it be?
  2. HF Everett blows them both away, and it's not even close.
  3. Edmund Fitzgerald. They should barrel age that shit.
  4. Close call, but the winner by a split decision goes to Founders.
  5. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

Love both of these beers. It's pretty much a tossup but I think Edmund slightly eeks out Founders.
  6. BeerFan

BeerFan Savant (320) New Jersey Feb 11, 2003

She lives in MI and HF is only available to VT, so why mention a beer she didn't ask about (and can't easily purchase).

I prefer Founders, but plan to do a blind tasting with those two plus Smuttynose Robust Porter with a few friends over the weekend. I'll report the results.
  7. terryg75

terryg75 Zealot (80) Sep 23, 2012

Eddy Fitz all day long...
  8. Put me down for Founders.
  9. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

I want to side w/ Founder's here as I have in the past.

But I am gonna hold off cuz, its been a long while since I have had Edmund Fitz.
    I'd love to revisit sometime soon,as I've only had a few.

I'm gonna leave this as a draw for now.

Cheers All.......
    Thickfreakness likes this.
  10. stakem

stakem Champion (870) Pennsylvania Feb 20, 2009

I am glad we get both and dont have to pick one over the other. Sitting here thinking about it, I cant really claim to like one significantly over the other. However, my reviews show I rate Fitzgerald higher.

now thats just silly
  11. Well, it's posted on the national forum and I can't buy Edmund Fitz locally either. Plus this is going to turn into another "best porter" thread anyway...

(OP is a male, by the way)
  12. socon67

socon67 Advocate (600) New York Jun 18, 2010

I had the Edmund Fitz on tap and thought it was by far the best american porter. It really is close as the Founder's Porter also a great example of the style.
  13. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Was this one of the choices?
  14. They are both so good! Why do I have to choose?? lol How about instead of picking one, when I want a good porter I'll drink one of each!
    chanokokoro likes this.
  15. It's really not though. Don't take my word for it - try them both blindly side by side. I just did it in the most recent Blind BIF and was blown away at the results.
  16. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (650) Texas Jul 14, 2009

I personally prefer Founders, but I'll throw another porter into this debate that is often overlooked, Smuttynose.
    mhenson42 and n2185 like this.
  17. hctap00

hctap00 Aficionado (185) Maryland Nov 2, 2012

Founders for me. I like the creamier mouthfeel.

Had both last night side by side, though not blind. This may have been an issue considering my bias toward Founders
  18. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

Really have to do this side by side, going by memory I'm siding with founders because of the fuller mouthfeel.
  19. I'm in the minority but Edmund Fitzgerald never wowed me. Easy choice for me.
    MichPaul likes this.
  20. i'd pick up the founders 3 out of 4 times when picking between the two.. the 1 out of 4 would b/c i hadn't had the edmund in awhile.. then after having it.. i'd probably go... wow this is some good stuff.. then go... eh... probably would have like the founders... haha

they are both great and available so it's a win win for us the consumer! Drink both.. mix them if you want.. just drink up!
  21. I second this. Everett by a mile, Founders second, GL EF third.
  22. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Even though I am a huge Founders fan I have to give this round to Eddy Fitz.
    gpawned likes this.
  23. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Aficionado (245) Ohio Jan 24, 2010

6 of one and a half dozen of another.

Slight lean to Edmund, but am local and was served this recently on draft at GLBC by an incredibly cute low cut blouse young female server, so for some reason that MIGHT have caused the lean.......

Great question. Both are excellent, and a solid debate. Cheers!
    jglowe77 and hctap00 like this.
  24. EricCioe

EricCioe Savant (445) Montana Aug 7, 2010

Edmund Fitzgerald has the coolest classic beer name.

Founders is creamier. I like them both a great deal. Would love to do them blind up against the two top finishers of our last local blind porter tasting, Big Sky Bobo's and Black Butte.
  25. MikeCactusGordon

MikeCactusGordon Savant (490) Ohio Feb 20, 2011

I'm a huge fan of both.

Eddy Fitz
  26. I have to say Everett/FP/fitz are quite evenly matched. i love them all. But i have to travel far to get all of these beers, Robust porter is always on the shelves at my locals and that counts for a lot...
  27. Eddy Fitz all the way
  28. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

Eddie Fitz > Black Butte > Founders > Upland Bad Elmers

imho
  29. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (380) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

im going with eddy fitz on this one because of the subtle smokey characteristic.

Forgive me if FP has smoke as well, i cant recall, but i dont think it does
  30. AJacob81

AJacob81 Savant (255) Illinois Mar 15, 2010

Eugene > Ed Fitz > Founders > Smutty Robust > Walker's Reserve

Haven't had Everett or Black Butte yet. All of the 5 above are pretty regular purchases for me (and I imagine BB will be too in a couple months or so). Love a good porter.
  31. miketd

miketd Savant (485) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

I don't agree, but that's what this site is all about.
  32. Tilley4

Tilley4 Advocate (520) Tennessee Nov 13, 2007

Man, this is a close one... I love both porters... Maybe Founders by a nose... but it's damn close...
  33. Keffa

Keffa Savant (475) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

You should send me one so I can be the judge of that.

Edit: Edmund Fitzgerald, all day long.
  34. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

Edmund Fitzgerald

Founders Porter is good but overrated, IMO
  35. fiver29

fiver29 Savant (405) Ohio Sep 18, 2007

Ed Fitz. Because I like it better. I'm not the only one. Here's the hardware it has:

Gold Medal, 2012 World Beer Championships Gold Medal, 2011 World Beer Championships Gold Medal, 2008 World Beer Championships Silver Medal, 2007 Great American Beer Festival Gold Medal, 2006 World Beer Championships Bronze Medal, 2004 Great American Beer Festival Gold Medal, 2003 World Beer Championships Gold Medal, 2002 Great American Beer Festival Gold Medal, 2002 World Beer Championships World Champion, Gold Medal, 2001 World Beer Championships Gold Medal, 1998 World Beer Championships Silver Medal, 1997 World Beer Championships Gold Medal, 1996 World Beer Championships Bronze Medal, 1996 World Beer Cup, Colorado World Champion, Platinum Medal, 1994 World Beer Championships Gold Medal, 1993 Great American Beer Festival Gold Medal, 1991 Great American Beer Festival

And yours?
    gpawned likes this.
  36. Wish Edmund Fitz was distributed to MA so I could try it. I know I could trade for it, but I'm not really into trading. So my vote goes to Founders for now.
  37. Stouttyme

Stouttyme Savant (250) Nebraska Nov 17, 2011

I prefer founders by a mile.
    Brunite likes this.
  38. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

One of the closest matchups I've seen trotted out. Good call.

Founders by a short and curly.
  39. stakem

stakem Champion (870) Pennsylvania Feb 20, 2009

I dont want to distract too much from the topic at hand but since you bring it up, ill play along.

It wasnt a blind tasting but I did get to drink founders porter, edmund fitz, fresh and aged everett along with barrel aged everett all within a span of 2-3 days. Everett and the BA version were not something I would pay to drink again. I like dark roasty grain flavors in my porters with hops and dark fruity alcohol being a secondary trait. All 3 bottles of Everette were mineral-filled tasting metallic and carbonic. Not horrible mind you, just not all that desireable either.

Thats the beauty of individual taste. While everyone gets their shit up in the air over HF, ill quitely refuse to pursue anything else by them and drink whats more readily available to me (I retracted that statement when/if they brew a berliner.)
    ehammond1 likes this.
  40. I'd like to contribute to this poll so if someone could send one of each my way, that'd be great. Kthx ;)
    tectactoe likes this.