1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

GL Edmund Fitzgerald vs. Founders Porter

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tectactoe, Nov 20, 2012.

?

Would you choose GL Edmund Fitzgerald vs. Founders Porter as the better American porter?

1. Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald

202 vote(s)
    49.8%
  2. Founder's Porter

204 vote(s)
    50.2%
  1. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

I also disagree with this one. I prefer Founders to Everett. I know, sacrilege that anything is better than HF.
  2. gshak

gshak Savant (465) Texas Feb 20, 2011

I votes Thirsty Dog Old leghumper
    BlueOkie likes this.
  3. Skull40

Skull40 Aficionado (240) Indiana Apr 1, 2010

Founders Porter is way better than Edmund Fitzgerald.
    MichPaul likes this.
  4. Well I would love to root for my own state but I have drank both frequently and with a little bit of age on it I would vote Founders but with both fresh I am leaning toward Edmund by a smidge.
  5. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

I personally like EF over founders, but like some have said I also prefer Everett. I've only had it via growler if that makes a difference? Either way, for price and availability sign me up for GL!!
  6. Supposedly going to be at Wegmans in the new year, according to another thread

I'm going to copy everyone else that said "include Smuttynose robust porter" and "I'm not going to choose between them, they're all great"
    Errto likes this.
  7. I'm partial to Founders for two reasons: 1) I love the mouthfeel, it's rather robust, where Edmund Fitz has always seemed a little on the thin side, and 2) It's got more of a chocolate flavor going on than Edmund Fitz. The Founders is probably my favorite porter if I don't count anything made by Hill Farmstead like Everett or Twilight of the Idols.
    hctap00 likes this.
  8. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

This. In fact....as much of a GL fan as I am, I never understood the EF love. I find it pretty ordinary. I do look forward to Black Butte hitting Chicago in a few months to make that comparison.
    MichPaul and Stouttyme like this.
  9. dcloeren

dcloeren Savant (450) Texas Sep 15, 2010

I came here just to say this. Well said.
  10. miketd

miketd Savant (485) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

I love Eddie Fitz, I like Founders.
  11. Both are great but I vote for Founders by a slight margin. Founders is like velvet.
  12. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

been revisiting a bunch of porters the past couple of weeks and would have to say Flying Dog Gonzo is much better compared to these two (and is available in Michigan).
  13. Im in the same boat here...Bought some in sep and oct when I was in syracuse and wasnt impressed.
  14. Handle

Handle Savant (345) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

This really is about a tossup for me, but I'll err on the side of Edmund Fitzgerald.
  15. I'll choose to enjoy both! Both excellent.
  16. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (465) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

They are both amazing beers but in my experience EF more closely represents the historical Porter style (real or not, at least how it has been defined) so I will give it the nod. I have also drunk much less of it due to lack of distro in STL so I would probably reach for it again over Founders given the choice. No disrespect to Founders which is also a pleasure to imbibe.
  17. BB1313

BB1313 Advocate (695) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

This is always a tough one. Eddy Fitz is just a classic example of a porter. But Founders has a thick, silky, creamy mouthfeel to die for. It's basically a coin toss for me..
    Brunite, superspak and Tilley4 like this.
  18. Top 3 porters in my opinion.

Black Butte > Eddy Fitz > Founders
  19. my man eddie fitz. but Cigar city's jose marti makes a desireable third option
  20. Which ever one is in my fridge right now! (crap, they are both there!)
    Then, Fitz it is!
  21. Gannon81

Gannon81 Aficionado (185) Oregon Jan 5, 2012

Founders is sexier.
    Brunite and aminobutyricacid like this.
  22. Tilley4

Tilley4 Advocate (520) Tennessee Nov 13, 2007

The OP asked to compare two beers and a third was brought into the equation... sigh...

Why does this always happen?
  23. I haven't had Founders yet, but EF wasn't doing it for me when I tried it.. seemed thin and there was some weird flavor I couldn't identify at the time. Will try founders soon.
  24. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

I've had Eddy Fitz several times now and, while certainly not bad, I've yet to be particularly impressed by it. Founders and Smuttynose Robust Porter are my go-tos for regular porters, and I really love both. I also really enjoyed the Hill Farmstead porter I got in a trade once, but I could get a case of Founders or Smuttynose easier (and with trading involved, likely cheaper) than a single bottle of Hill Farmstead's.
  25. tzieser

tzieser Initiate (0) Arizona Nov 21, 2006

"If you HAD to choose one of those two, which would it be?"

Dont overlook that...looks like the OP is looking for a EF vs Porter discussion not necessarily a best porter discussion.

I prefer Founders. Edmund is yummy but i like the creaminess the porter has.

As for Everett, yes its delicious but expensive and hard to come by if you dont live in VT. I'd rather have a Mayflower Porter as its not too expensive and easy to obtain in my area. Has a great smoke flavor that most porters dont have. To each their own though.

Side note: had some Narragansett Porter yesterday and was impressed. Not sweet like last year. $8 a six pack of 16oz cans. 7% abv too so you get some bang for your buck.
  26. Bottle i like founders, in keg i liked edmund more, i can score 6'ers of edmund at local grocery store, founders i can get by the sixer with a 30 min drive. Founders a little more sweeter and creamier then ed. Too close for me, really depends on what im in mood for. I like stone smoked porter the most but then again, thats quite different then founders and greak lakes. Hoppin frog silk porter is a fav also ,,as is black butte
  27. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Fitzgerald ... and that's coming from a Michigan boy.
  28. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

These are two fantastic beers, two of my favorites of the style. However Edmund Fitzgerald is my go to when I'm not feeling anything else. That being said, my decision seems to be similar to everyone else's when I voted: 52% to 48% in favor of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Good topic.
  29. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

30. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (550) Texas Nov 20, 2011

I think I'm the only one to ever have a keg of Edmund Fitz on draft in the state of Texas....only because I drove a keg back from Cleveland... that's how much I loved this beer at the the time. I have it in bottles every now and then. But now, I think I prefer (512) Pecan Porter over Edmunds and Black Butte. I've had the Founders once, but I don't remember it being any better than Edmunds.
    miketd likes this.
  31. I would never turn either down. I voted Great Lakes because they don't distribute to me so it's a little more rare for me personally. But I truely love both of them.
  32. Stouttyme

Stouttyme Savant (250) Nebraska Nov 17, 2011

Everett, Victory at Sea, Twilight of the Idols, etc are on a totally different plane than Ed Fitz, Founders, Black Butte.
  33. wd09601

wd09601 Aficionado (105) Maryland Jul 29, 2012

I go with Founders, but Gonzo deserves a mention in here.
  34. Eddy Fitz is more drinkable but Founders is undeniably sexier.
    Gannon81 likes this.
  35. Eddy Fitz > Boulevard Bully! Porter > Founders Porter (all excellent beers)
  36. Dirty25

Dirty25 Savant (350) Germany Jan 22, 2012

I think porters are my favorite beer. Both are great porters eddy fitz is better some times founders is better the others. Of course I'd prefer a troegs, flag porter, Samuel smith, or bells over then. There are a lot of good porters out there don't make me choose!
  37. Bakker

Bakker Savant (275) Illinois Aug 1, 2010

tis the season for a good porter. I'll do a side by side comparison then drink an Alpha Klaus as I contemplate!
  38. ISO BA Fitzy
  39. tdmccarthy

tdmccarthy Savant (400) Illinois May 6, 2010

I love them both but don't think they're that similar. EF is much smoother and lighter. It's sessionable. The Founders is a much bigger, richer beer that I really consider a stout. I have been picking up the EF more recently but maybe only because Great Lakes just came back to my market at the beginning of October.

I'd say that Bell's Porter is a lot more comparable to EF than the Founders. Of the three I can't say I prefer one over the others. They're all world class.
    HarrySTruman likes this.
  40. Man, I can't find either one around here... Wish I could