1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

GL Edmund Fitzgerald vs. Founders Porter

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tectactoe, Nov 20, 2012.

?

Would you choose GL Edmund Fitzgerald vs. Founders Porter as the better American porter?

1. Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald

202 vote(s)
    49.8%
  2. Founder's Porter

204 vote(s)
    50.2%
  1. tylermains

tylermains Savant (305) Kentucky Apr 6, 2010

Is it really a question?

Source: Look at Untappd's top drinker for Eddy Fitz. That drinker also hasn't checked in nearly as many times as he's had the beer.
  2. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (625) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Only had one Edmond and didn't care for it. Not sure why, that is. Had MANY Founders Porters and love it every time I have it. I have been meaning to revisit an EF because with all this hype, it has to be better than the bottle I had of it before... Never had a bad bottle of Founders Porter, so they get the vote.
  3. Edmund Fitzgerald by a slight margin. Both are great though.
    tectactoe likes this.
  4. Both are great porters, but I have an undying love for Edmund Fitzgerald. I just wish that when opening a bottle, Gordon Lightfoot would sound from the opening.
  5. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

Love both of them, so I'll choose which ever one's fresher.
  6. I've not had either yet, so I am going to bump them both up on my list to try soon,
  7. I wasn't a fan of the Fitzgerald...actually haven't been much of a fan of any of the GL I have tried. Time and time again, I would choose a Founders over GL. Now you throw in the Smuttynose Robust Porter and we will be having another conversation.
  8. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Just did a side by side last night to make sure my original opinions were correct. They both are very tasty porters, but I definitely have to go with Founder's. It's an amazing porter. The aromas and flavors seem to come out a bit more, and are full of cocoa and nuttiness. The creamy mouthfeel puts it over the edge.

But I'd still never turn down an EF.
  9. bound4er

bound4er Savant (415) Wisconsin Jul 4, 2007

For session drinking it is EdFitz. For one or two beer enjoyment, Founders all the way given its more full, bigger style.
  10. dep0952

dep0952 Disciple (55) Pennsylvania Jul 26, 2012

Not even a contest... Founders
  11. spry

spry Aficionado (240) Michigan Oct 8, 2009

It's pretty simple in my mind. Founder's Porter is hoppy, I don't really care for too much hop bitterness in my porter. Edmund Fitzgerald is a little smoky, which I love. Taking this preference into account I think both are really well done porters.
  12. You mean to tell me that OPs avatar is not her? The nerve...
  13. mb2696

mb2696 Zealot (80) Virginia Dec 9, 2008

i'd have to go with founders...the silky/creamy mouthfeel blows away EF imo
  14. According to my reviews: Founders Porter over Eddy Fitz, 4.4 to 4.3.
  15. Hype? Had GLEF on tap at GABF this year and was disappointed, maybe from the beer having so much hype. Malts were a little too smoky + hop bitterness. Would rather drink RR, Black Marlin from Ballast Point, and Black Raven from Bear Republic.
  16. fauxpunker

fauxpunker Aficionado (165) Nov 23, 2012

Had the Founders porter and loved it. Thanks for telling me which one I'm trying next, though. As long as I don't have to listen to Gordon Lighfoot while I drink it.
  17. thereal

thereal Aficionado (180) Illinois Apr 20, 2010

Eugene from Revolution is better than both.
  18. So close by a nose, Edmund Fitz.
  19. If you have not had both why would you vote?
  20. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

I can only get Eddy Fitz via trade or my son bringing some home from school.

I can get Founders locally but I prefer Edmund Fitzgerald over Founders Porter.

I'd actually take Smuttynose Robust Porter (2nd place) and Alpha Klaus (3rd place) over Founders.
  21. stooge

stooge Savant (265) Michigan Feb 22, 2012

Agonizing choice as I am a big fan of both of these. I'm going with Fitz in a photo finish, it's on tap at my local right now at my request!
  22. argock

argock Savant (490) Virginia Dec 30, 2006

Founders but very close, GL EF is also really good, more roasted and dry whereas Founders is more chocolate, sweet, and creamy
  23. BeerFan

BeerFan Savant (320) New Jersey Feb 11, 2003

Just had a blind tasting between Smutty, Founders and GL.

Results: Founders with a close victory over Smutty with GL a distance third. Smutty has a more hop finish over Founders (I prefer my stouts to be more malt forward), but I found GL to be thin and lacking complexity.
    LostHighway likes this.
  24. Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald wins for porter. Founders takes the stout category with breakfast stout
  25. tectactoe

Hm, 140 votes to 136 votes at this moment... probably the closest head to head match up I've seen!
  26. rubicat

rubicat Aficionado (120) Ohio Nov 22, 2012

A tough one, but I'd have to say that Eddie Fitz wins by a hair.
  27. Thanks for posting. As of my vote the count was 50.5% Edmond Fitzgerald - really close. I see the post comments are also almost even. Sounds like they are both awesome.
  28. I have to give this to Fitzy. I had Founders Porter for the first time recently and was really disappointed. I thought it was a little bland and watery. Definitely want to give it another try sometime to see if anything has changed.

Actually, I prefer the drier English porters like Fullers to the American ones, but I won't argue that in this thread.
  29. Atelidae

Atelidae Aspirant (40) Nov 15, 2012

Tough, tough decision! Off hand I would like to say the Ed Fitz, though I am generally quite biased towards Founders. I just purchased both on my most recent trip North, so I'll give them another go soon--perhaps blind!

I love listening to the Gordon Lightfoot song about the sinking of the ship as I drink the GL porter. It's a great, terrible tale. Sometimes it's really nice to have a story to accompany your beer.
    Brunite, jRocco2021 and tectactoe like this.
  30. Next beer trade? I can easily obtain both of these. :)
  31. This is tough as I love both beers, I guess Founder's by an inch.
  32. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (475) Florida May 29, 2011

I'm about to do a little Porter tasting soon, in the lineup;

GL Edmund Fitzgerald, Founders Porter, Smuttynose Robust Porter, CCB Jose Marti & my own Robust Smoked Porter

Should be pretty damn tasty I think.
    tectactoe likes this.
  33. tectactoe

Let us know how it goes.
  34. I love the first three listed.
  35. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

36. Love the beer, can live without the label.
  37. I would have to say Founders Porter by the smallest of margins. I enjoy them both but Founders seems to have a leg up in the mouthfeel and body catagories.
    whendeathsleeps likes this.
  38. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Really!! ?

Love that label. Dark...mysterious...classy...!
  39. Don't know why, but it's their only label I don't care for.
  40. tectactoe

Don't forget "sexy" !
    Brunite likes this.