1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

GL Edmund Fitzgerald vs. Founders Porter

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tectactoe, Nov 20, 2012.

?

Would you choose GL Edmund Fitzgerald vs. Founders Porter as the better American porter?

1. Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald

202 vote(s)
    49.8%
  2. Founder's Porter

204 vote(s)
    50.2%
  1. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

...like a Dominatrix!!:cool:
    tectactoe likes this.
  2. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

We must be a generation apart!:cool: That's cool nonetheless!
  3. rubicat

rubicat Aficionado (120) Ohio Nov 22, 2012

Wow, 159-158! Can't get much closer than that!

Another thing I like about EF is that it is available year round, just about everywhere in my area that sells beer. :cool:
    tectactoe likes this.
  4. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

This exactly.
  5. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Hah, wow. Three weeks later and the vote is 160-159, literally almost exactly 50/50.

Sounds like instead of deciding between them, we just need to buy and drink them both. Oh well!
  6. BrettMcCal23

BrettMcCal23 Zealot (75) Minnesota Nov 23, 2010

Founders all the way...dark rich and sexy??? Please! easy winner
  7. socon67

socon67 Advocate (600) New York Jun 18, 2010

The results indicate what we generally know; they are both very good beers and for each person who swears one of them is better there is another person with the opposite view.
  8. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

pretty sure they did?
  9. sweethome

sweethome Savant (390) Illinois Jun 25, 2004

Bringing in Smuttynose makes perfect sense. I have tried these three blind and it came out Founders, Smuttynose, Ed Fitz. That said, without trying Ed Fitz at the Great Lakes Brewery Bar in 1989, I may not have jumped in to the movement as quickly. Halfway through the pint, I knew I was changed.
  10. i find that edmund fitzgerald is better by far
    i think as for founders for there year round beers there are better than the porter i really like the russian imperial stout from founders although once again love great lakes blackout stout and ba blackout stout lol
    so tough with all these great brews
  11. NSK79

NSK79 Savant (365) Illinois Jun 4, 2012

Both are amazing, Fitz is my winner because I've had the Edmund Fitzgerald ice cream at the brew pub in Cleveland and it is crazy good.

Neither GL or Founders Porter are as good as FFF Alpha Klaus though
  12. bismarksays

bismarksays Savant (435) Iowa Dec 7, 2008

Two of my favorite porters ever. Founders, by a nose. As others have mentioned, the edge comes down to mouthfeel.
  13. Ive been bugging the brewers for a year now to do that. Every time I see them at the brewery or talk to bottling guys, I ask about that and if theyre going to bottle Alberta Clipper.

oh and OP, Eddy Fitz is a bit easier to drink but slightly more bitter. Founders was so roasty and robust.
  14. mjtiernan

mjtiernan Savant (450) New York Feb 15, 2008

Founders Porter is heartier, more complex and features a distinct smokiness while Eddy Fitz's best assets are its nuanced roasted malt flavor and tremendous mouthfeel. Both top shelf porters and they both serve a purpose, but I give the edge to Eddy Fitz for drinkability.
  15. mjtiernan

mjtiernan Savant (450) New York Feb 15, 2008

Yeah, I think Founders Porter and Smutty Robust are better comparisons. More similar anyway.
  16. Founders for sure.
  17. Just had both, one after the other, and I can't decide. I enjoyed Founders' mouthfeel better but Fitz had the better finish. It's a toss up. Ok Founders because it's so close to FBS, it's insane
  18. I agree! I taste a lot of similarities to FBS. I wonder if anyone else does?
  19. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Savant (490) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

This thread they're neck & neck. I consulted my own reviews for my decision Eddy @ 4.65 > Founders @ 4.4
  20. JordanP1510

JordanP1510 Aspirant (25) New York Dec 16, 2012

I love Founders a lot but Edmund Fitzgerald from Great Lakes is just simply GREAT! Probably the best porter I have had so far
  21. I'd have to agree with both of you as well. It's like a year round serving of FBS! Pretty awesome!
  22. Gannon81

Gannon81 Aficionado (185) Oregon Jan 5, 2012

Have to go Founders, given how sexy it is.....but I long for Black Butte Porter when it arrives here in Chicago next month.
  23. SheepNutz

SheepNutz Savant (480) Kentucky Jan 28, 2003

Bells>Edmund Fitz>Founder's
  24. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (385) New York Aug 21, 2012

Buy a Founders Porter and an Ed Fitz and mix them. They get along nicely. Alas, this is one topic that never gets any pull. The art of mixing brews.
    avalonct likes this.
  25. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Wow... almost two whole months later and the voting is exactly equal (at this time), 191-191. This might be the closest pairing of two equally exceptional beers ever. Impressive.
    Eastside151 likes this.
  26. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Oops, I voted. #homer
  27. avalonct

avalonct Aficionado (205) Michigan Oct 11, 2012

I just tried this last night...great call, and yes beer mixing does not get enough attention.
  28. SBMRL

SBMRL Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 5, 2011

Ive been a big fan of edmund fitzgerald , then i had founders porter. There quite different founders is more rich and robust i prefer it.
  29. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (350) Florida Mar 16, 2012

Only have had Eddy Fitz and man it is delicious. You need to get your hands on Black Butte Porter though.
  30. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Advocate (500) Wisconsin Nov 30, 2008

I have 5 of them lying around looking for a good home- do you trade?
  31. kirbmeist

yea i trade but im a little strapped for cash right now. Waiting on my school check to come in then im hoping to knock a few out. Prob nothing crazy but i would like some more of those BBP. Not sure what your looking for but i live in Orlando so the usually request is Cigar City.
  32. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Advocate (500) Wisconsin Nov 30, 2008

Oops, I should have been more clear, I have 5 Edmund Fitzgeralds.
  33. kirbmeist

lol gotcha. Well those are delcious either way. Ill let you know once i have my money set and everything. Maybe we can figure something out.
  34. Mayflower Porter is the best porter of all the porters.
  35. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

I tied it up @ 198!! I love eddy, but founder's porter is soooo perfect.
  36. I love Founders but I've yet to have Edmund Fitzgerald so I will not be voting at this time.