1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Glacier hops

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by inchrisin, Dec 4, 2012.

1. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I've seen glacier hops in every single homebrew store I've been to and all over online. I've never seen a recipe that uses them, I've never talked to anyone who's used them. I can't name a beer of the top of my head that has them in the brew. They're supposed to be a a good aroma hop, yet nobody's making APAs or ESBs with them. Anyone have any good experiences with this hop?
  2. I've used them...but not recently...from what I remember they were a good "filler" hop for say a 15 or 20 min addition. I would use them to replace any low alpha hop, but don't expect anything close to a "C" hop flavor- wise. I believe they have very low co-humulone if you are thinking of bittering with them, but some of their other ratios (beta acids) are off the charts from what I remember.
  3. MrOH

MrOH Savant (440) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Off the top of my head, Short's pale ale uses glacier exclusively, and I don't care for it. I thought it was Fuggles and some other american hop mixed originally, but whoever watches the sight for the brewery corrected me when I said it was gross.
  4. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Surly uses solely Glacier for flavor (Columbus for bittering) in Bitter Brewer. Very, very orangey, marmalade like.
    copslovebeer likes this.
  5. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (695) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

I spread two ounces across 60 and 20 minute additions in a bitter (5 gal) with some goldings at the end of the boil. I can't say much about the character. Used this way and in this amount, they help balance the beer but don't otherwise stand out.
  6. mattbk

mattbk Savant (390) New York Dec 12, 2011

I have heard that Glaciers used at end of boil will lend apricot and pear flavors. I have recently brewed an IPA using 2 oz in the last 10 minutes. It smelled amazing when primary was done - and I can confirm those fruit flavors were in there. However, I used several other C hops in the beer, including a bit of Citra at flameout, so I can't be sure how much of this aroma was Glacier. Tasting it tonight, will let you know.
    inchrisin likes this.
  7. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (270) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

I've used them a few times for later additions. I MUCH prefer them at flame out vs 10 minutes on out. The flavor seems to get earthy the longer I've boiled them. They remind me a lot of how styrians react. I get more orange apricot flavor at flame out with those as well.
    mattbk likes this.
  8. mattbk

mattbk Savant (390) New York Dec 12, 2011

A report on the beer I made - it is very, very good. The aroma I would describe as tangerine and pear. The pear is really cool - never had a beer smell like this before. I believe the Glacier is driving this aroma- I added 1 oz of Glacier at 10 mins, 1 oz at 5 mins, then 0.5 oz Glacier + 0.5 oz Citra at flameout. Based on this high ratio of Glacier to Citra, I am confident the aroma I am getting is Glacier. The beer is only slightly earthy, maybe rounding out the flavor a bit. I have no problems using this hop, and plan on making this beer again.
  9. inchrisin

So a 60 min and a small KO addition (and dry hop addition) might work in an Irish red?
  10. jlpred55

Don't see why not. Not traditional... my kind of Irish red!
  11. inchrisin

They just smell soo damn good. How could you not?! :)
  12. jlpred55

Good Luck! I just looked at my brewing calendar and what do you know. ....up next, an ESB with a mix of Glacier and Palisade at flameout! Funny this thread should come up before that. I had forgotten that I wanted to mix the two based on seperate beers I've brewed. Should be good.
  13. inchrisin

What calendar are you lookking at there? :)
  14. jlpred55

My brewing calendar....it follows no season.
    inchrisin likes this.