1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Glass City Beer Fest...Here's the amazing beer list!

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by deuce9259, Feb 6, 2013.

1. deuce9259

deuce9259 Savant (310) Ohio Dec 28, 2011

http://glasscitybeerfest.com/BeerMenu.html

That's 89 beers to choose from! (Minus the 2 Twisted Tea's and the 3 ciders brings you right around 84 or so).

Seriously??

Even though they hint that this was the 2012 menu, I don't think its changed since it started. I wrote the organizers last year, and again this year...I guess what I don't understand is how this event is so close to top tier breweries (Bells, Founders, Hoppin' Frog, Brew Kettle, Fat Head's...) yet they can't draw any of them.

This is an event that I've gone to the past couple years, mostly because I live in Toledo. However, I don't think I can anymore, especially with the price increase to $30 or $35. It would be one thing if these breweries brought limited releases, or brewery only taps...but that never happens.

I went to the Columbus Winter Beerfest last month, and even considering the drive and a hotel room I would rather do that every year for $45 that continue to go to the Glass City Beer Fest.

I know buying craft beer is usually supporting the little guy, which I'm all for, but it just seems that this is about making a profit and really paying attention to anything going on in the name of craft beer.
  2. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

The Glass City Beerfest is a fundraiser, so take it for what it is. If you're expecting a mini MI Brewers Guild festival, you're going to be disappointed. (I'm not sure there are any breweries directly represented, other than Maumee Bay and maybe Black Swamp)
  3. deuce9259

Ya, I know..I guess I'm disappointed that it's a bad representation of local craft beer. And I believe you are correct. It appears there is a newer brewery from Perrysburg as well. Not sure what their representation will be.
  4. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Looks like a cute little charity event that would be more fun than any charity event I have been to. Might have to come down for it.
  5. lftwng4

lftwng4 Aficionado (210) Ohio Oct 12, 2007

We went maybe the first year they had it(my buddy's band plays every year) and I remember going in and saying to a friend I was with that we'd have to buy extra drink tickets. My wife gave us the majority of her tickets, and it was all we could do to get through ours and hers. Didn't need to buy any extras, as the pours were pretty generous and we got tanked.
    Yeah, it's not great, but it is for charity, and I did try some beers I'd never had, and finally got to see my buddy's "wedding" band. And Homeslice afterwards was great, as always. My biggest complaint was very little was on tap, all but a few breweries only had bottles. I had hoped for some kegged special beers. I remember The Brew Kettle was there, this was before they had White Rajah though, but they were one of the few that had kegs, along with Maumee Bay, natch.
  6. deuce9259

After doing a little more research it appears on their Facebook page that they will have 175 beers from 40 breweries.

As for the band, no offence to your friend, but I think the event would be better if someone just turned on some background music. Not that your friend's band is good or bad...but its a social event where I want to talk to my friends about the beer I'm drinking. I can find a noisy bar whenever...but maybe the change to the Rec Center will improve that.
  7. lftwng4

lftwng4 Aficionado (210) Ohio Oct 12, 2007

No offense taken. I tend to agree, and really, the only situation I would ever see them play is something like that, which is why I kinda liked being there. I'm not much at all for cover/wedding bands, and it's kinda ironic he's playing in that type of band, as he's a big metal head(as am I). But hey, Toledo has never been known for it's subtlety towards either beer or music.
    frazbri likes this.
  8. beerhan

beerhan Savant (390) Ohio Apr 28, 2010

I think I might actually make it this year. Even if in the unlikely scenario where most of the beers are bad I can just use all my tickets on Amarillo Brillo and Total Eclipse.
  9. Alembician

Alembician Aficionado (115) Ohio May 29, 2011

I can tell you what Cavalier is bringing:
    Sixpoint
    Stone (some draft)
    Revolution
    Left Hand
    Morland
    Weihenstephan (some draft)
    Unibroue (all draft)
    Breckenridge
    Original Sin
    Wyders
    B. Nektar (some draft)
    Dogfish Head
    Fat Heads (some draft)
    Alltech Lexington
    Jolly Pumpkin (some draft)
    Hoppin' Frog

Also there should be atleast 5 or 6 brewery reps from these breweries.
  10. sounds like it will get better every year.
  11. Sam_E

Sam_E Aficionado (175) Ohio Oct 11, 2012

looks like they updated the beer menu and it says there is 175 beers now. Includes new great lakes alchemy hour and oak aged 3beans
  12. beerhan

beerhan Savant (390) Ohio Apr 28, 2010

Are those B. Nektar meads going to be three ounce pours as well? If so I think I know where I will be all night...
  13. deuce9259

Yeah, I believe the increase in beers available is also why they moved to the Rec Center and the list looks much better than years past. I just wouldn't get bent on one specific beer, because their Facebook indicated a few weeks ago they would have Bodhi which I don't see on the list.
  14. deuce9259

Does anyone have an idea why a Designated Driver ticket isn't available this year?
  15. Sam_E

Exactly. I remember last year had a few beers on the list that didn't end up making an appearance at the event.
  16. Sam_E

Good question. Might want to call the phone number and see what the deal is 419-724-BREW
  17. If you call please post their answer here. I sent them an email last week and they never bothered to reply. While it isn't a dealbreaker for me as I'll just use my wife's tasting tickets if she has to pay full price, I'd be happier paying less if possible.
  18. deuce9259

Welp...I called a week ago, sent an email about a month ago, and have posted the question on their Facebook page twice now after it was deleted the first time. Still don't have an answer. If that's not customer service I don't know what is.