1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Gluten Free Beer Suggestions

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by gjahn123, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Now i know there probably isn't that many good ones, but what's the best one you have had thus far?

2. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (235) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

Strangestbrewer likes this.
  3. So far, my picks are the Daura and the Omission; neither of which are entirely gluten free. I think the real issue is draft availability; in Lancaster, I've run across the Tweason'ale (better than the bottle) and Omission once each. I was very disappointed that Appalachian never came through with their GF beer.

4. I tried the Omission pale ale recently, it wasn't bad. I haven't tried many gluten free/low gluten beers but I imagine this is one of the better ones out there. I haven't tried them but Green's makes a couple belgian style gluten free beers, so thats something a little different from other ones.

5. Scotchboy

Scotchboy Advocate (500) Idaho Dec 7, 2010

This guy mentioned Harvester; I'll go on record as saying Harvester makes the best GF beer I've tried; their Dark Ale. The chestnuts used in the brewing process make that one taste like a robust porter. Unfortunately they are tough to get a hold of unless you live in the Portlandia area.

Of all the ones I've tried (Redbridge, Celia Saison, Tweason'ale, and Foxtail are pretty horrible IMO; Greens and New Planet are 'meh') this one from Harvester stuck out as being completely beer-like.

ETA: Also, Two Brothers Prairie Path is actually pretty decent IMO. Link to scientific 'brewed to remove gluten' .pdf -

http://www.twobrosbrew.com/gluten.htm

6. BSG - Biere Sans Gluten out of Quebec - just amazing. Several styles, mostly made from millet, not sorghum. Not in the states - yet - but I think they are working on it.

seblp likes this.
  7. theCoder

theCoder Savant (340) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

My homebrew Gluten Free Honey Rhubarb Ale :-D otherwise of ones professionally made Daura I enjoyed and Glutenator wasn't bad. And I've enjoyed the Dubel from Green quite a bit.

8. Wife has celiac so I get to try all of her GF beers. Omission Pale Ale is an "eh" pale ale if you didn't know it was gluten free. For gluten free and widely available, it is pretty darn good. The New Planet Pale Ale is similar. I also like Celia Saison but unless you are making a run for Heady Topper, good luck getting it. I like Tweason'le but ironically my wife did not. The rest (Redbridge, Bards, New Grist) are not very good in my opinion but my wife happily drinks them. She does like a few of the greens as a change of pace beer, but at $6-7+ for a 16oz bottle of "ok" beer, it is truely just her change of pace beer.

Now Harvester (got some on Lets Pour), these guys are making some good GF shit over there. Had the Red, IPA, Pale and Dark. I had my 3oz taster of these before my wife snatched the bottles out of my hand (except she didn't like the roasted chestnut taste (almost like coffee) of the dark which I gladly drank).

9. Thanks for the tips for GF. I've been trying to get more GF beer, but as you all know, more does not mean better. It seems that the ppl in the shop are (usually) set on their favorite GF beers and don't wanna waste time with other ones.

We carry all of the Bards, Greens, & DFH Tweason. We're looking to expand.

I was hoping to hear good things about Brunehaut Ambrée & Brunehaut Bio Blonde . I've had a few customers say it was good. I'd love to hear from those who are more in tune with the GF movement.

10. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Another vote for Harvester here

11. thanks guys highly appreciated!!!!!
    ChEERS!

12. einhorn

einhorn Savant (370) California Nov 3, 2005

Check out Sprecher's Shakparo.

13. While we're on this topic, can anyone recommend a "good" (read: drinkable) sorghum beer ? My girlfriend has recently gone gluten-free, and wants to try some. Luckily, I will continue to imbibe my beloved DIPAs. Thanks for any assistance.

14. I'm not avoiding gluten so I don't drink GF beers frequently. However, my daughter is avoiding gluten so I've tasted a few that she drinks. My experience is that none stand out, and each has its own character so that your girl friend will have to try those that are available and decide for herself. (All of the beers mentioned above in this thread may not be available to you, but you can read the various comments to see which might have a favorable report to get you started on the right track.)

My personal experience has been that the GF beers that are brewed as a dark style (amber, stout) have a bit more flavor than the light styles that are probably trying to taste like light American lagers, and these are flavorless. Most good beer shops will have a GF beer section so you won't have to search every shelf to find them, and then she should try each beer to see which appeals to her.

15. Luckily, my girlfriend prefers "sweet" to "hoppy/bitter", so perhaps we can find some in that style with a flavor profile she can enjoy. Thanks.

16. Yuck. Fermented funky grains.

17. einhorn

einhorn Savant (370) California Nov 3, 2005

To each his own. I know it is brewed with a Belgian ale yeast, and I found it to be quite refreshing and different.

18. If you're OK with a low-gluten beer, I think Brunehaut is the best. Does anyone know if you can get Harvester in Mass? I've never seen it.

19. BoomKentucky

BoomKentucky Savant (270) Kentucky Mar 22, 2013

Yeah I know Gluten Free sucks, but I have a relative that was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease. Wonder if anybody has had any good gluten free beer. Typically doesn't like a lot of hops.
    Thanks. I couldn't find another post on this.

20. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

BoomKentucky and theCoder like this.
  21. theCoder

theCoder Savant (340) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

Greens are great. Obviously there's hard ciders too.

There is another out there we rather enjoyed...Glutenator wasn't bad. Eh in the end I just made my own, Honey Rhubarb sorghum ale. It's actually quite good, I've given it to many friends and none realized it was gluten free until I told them.

22. BoomKentucky likes this.
  23. Jonny41

Jonny41 Aficionado (240) Maine Dec 9, 2012

celia is good, was made originally at alchemist in Vermont [headytopper] for his wife who had celiacs, now being brewed by Ipswich in mass. Only gluten ive tried and could drink. Also heard glutenberg was good from a friend with celiacs.

BoomKentucky likes this.
  24. sajaffe1

sajaffe1 Savant (360) Pennsylvania Feb 16, 2013

Not a very good beer, but Redbridge is very easy to find

BoomKentucky likes this.
  25. BoomKentucky

BoomKentucky Savant (270) Kentucky Mar 22, 2013

Thanks for responding BAs.

26. mystrile

mystrile Disciple (60) New York Jun 22, 2013

Tweason'ale from Dogfish isn't too bad.

BoomKentucky likes this.
  27. Omission makes a lager and a pale ale, and they are pretty good. I've heard that they also make an IPA but I have not had that one yet.

28. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Advocate (710) Idaho Aug 10, 2005

The lager and pale ale are both okay for what they are, but the IPA is the best of the three IMO.

My wife has an autoimmune disease that is helped if she stays gluten free. These are the only beers she drinks anymore. But mainly she has moved on to ciders.

BoomKentucky likes this.
  29. Biffster

Biffster Savant (365) Michigan Mar 29, 2004

I have a girlfriend that recently got the diagnosis. "Gluten free" is the ultimate trendy thing, but real celiac is serious business. Redbridge, as mentioned above, is nasty, but it's made by AB and is pretty much beyond reproach, when it comes to parts per million and all.

If you're making it, I suggest sorghum, maple, honey, and agave. I also suggest more, rather than less, hops. If the balance is to malt, you will absolutely detect the difference from barley. That's why I suggest using "dry" ingredients for fermentables (fermentables that will finish out and not leave a lot of residual sugar). I also suggest that you hop enough to make the focus on the flavor of the hops, as opposed to the "malt" bill. I know you said low hops, but no getting around it. My advice is to lay off the bittering and aroma hops, and concentrate on flavor hops.

BoomKentucky and kojevergas like this.
  30. rc51sport

rc51sport Savant (425) Florida Feb 25, 2013

Heard one of the Flying Dog beers were gluten free. Forget which one, may have been Snake Dog? (But then its more of.a hop forward beer). Sorry that's all I have except for Redbridge (that six pack that's sits right next to bud light in my local supermarket)

BoomKentucky likes this.
  31. mj81

mj81 Advocate (555) New Jersey Sep 11, 2013

My daughter has celiacs so I tried this. Initial taste is ok but then you get slapped in the face by the most objectionable after taste I've ever had in a beer. Turned out decent to use it for making gluten free beer batter though.

BoomKentucky likes this.
  32. Gh0st

Gh0st Disciple (50) Florida Aug 12, 2013

It should'nt be to hard to find but Estrella Damn Durra

BoomKentucky likes this.
  33. IMHO the best way to avoid gluten is to not drink beer. Sorry. :-(

BoomKentucky and azorie like this.
  34. My wife is GF if you don't mind i'd like to trade for some if theres any left.

BoomKentucky likes this.
  35. rdilauro

rdilauro Savant (345) Connecticut Mar 8, 2010

36. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

BoomKentucky likes this.
  37. denpub

denpub Aspirant (45) Pennsylvania Jan 10, 2013

I know it's not craft but magners irish cider is not bad at all. I brought some new planet pale ale in for the gluten free crowd and it tanked.

BoomKentucky likes this.
  38. WankelEngine

WankelEngine Savant (345) Illinois Mar 28, 2011

I can't believe no one has said Prairie Path by Two Brothers! It's actually a normally brewed Golden Ale with 100% malted barley instead of that sorghum shit. They use an enzyme to increase clarity which has the side effect of removing all gluten. It's been certified gluten free, but tastes like a full-on, honest to goodness ale. Nothing super-special quality-wise for regular beer, but for gluten-free it's a godsend! Buy it. Drink it. Love it.

EDIT: Here is a little bit more about the beer http://www.twobrosbrew.com/gluten.htm Less than 5PPM Gluten.

BoomKentucky and Mothergoose03 like this.