1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Gluten Free Beer Suggestions

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by gjahn123, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Now i know there probably isn't that many good ones, but what's the best one you have had thus far?

2. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (235) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

3. So far, my picks are the Daura and the Omission; neither of which are entirely gluten free. I think the real issue is draft availability; in Lancaster, I've run across the Tweason'ale (better than the bottle) and Omission once each. I was very disappointed that Appalachian never came through with their GF beer.

4. I tried the Omission pale ale recently, it wasn't bad. I haven't tried many gluten free/low gluten beers but I imagine this is one of the better ones out there. I haven't tried them but Green's makes a couple belgian style gluten free beers, so thats something a little different from other ones.

5. Scotchboy

Scotchboy Advocate (500) Idaho Dec 7, 2010

This guy mentioned Harvester; I'll go on record as saying Harvester makes the best GF beer I've tried; their Dark Ale. The chestnuts used in the brewing process make that one taste like a robust porter. Unfortunately they are tough to get a hold of unless you live in the Portlandia area.

Of all the ones I've tried (Redbridge, Celia Saison, Tweason'ale, and Foxtail are pretty horrible IMO; Greens and New Planet are 'meh') this one from Harvester stuck out as being completely beer-like.

ETA: Also, Two Brothers Prairie Path is actually pretty decent IMO. Link to scientific 'brewed to remove gluten' .pdf -

http://www.twobrosbrew.com/gluten.htm

6. BSG - Biere Sans Gluten out of Quebec - just amazing. Several styles, mostly made from millet, not sorghum. Not in the states - yet - but I think they are working on it.

seblp likes this.
  7. theCoder

theCoder Savant (340) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

My homebrew Gluten Free Honey Rhubarb Ale :-D otherwise of ones professionally made Daura I enjoyed and Glutenator wasn't bad. And I've enjoyed the Dubel from Green quite a bit.

8. Wife has celiac so I get to try all of her GF beers. Omission Pale Ale is an "eh" pale ale if you didn't know it was gluten free. For gluten free and widely available, it is pretty darn good. The New Planet Pale Ale is similar. I also like Celia Saison but unless you are making a run for Heady Topper, good luck getting it. I like Tweason'le but ironically my wife did not. The rest (Redbridge, Bards, New Grist) are not very good in my opinion but my wife happily drinks them. She does like a few of the greens as a change of pace beer, but at $6-7+ for a 16oz bottle of "ok" beer, it is truely just her change of pace beer.

Now Harvester (got some on Lets Pour), these guys are making some good GF shit over there. Had the Red, IPA, Pale and Dark. I had my 3oz taster of these before my wife snatched the bottles out of my hand (except she didn't like the roasted chestnut taste (almost like coffee) of the dark which I gladly drank).

9. Thanks for the tips for GF. I've been trying to get more GF beer, but as you all know, more does not mean better. It seems that the ppl in the shop are (usually) set on their favorite GF beers and don't wanna waste time with other ones.

We carry all of the Bards, Greens, & DFH Tweason. We're looking to expand.

I was hoping to hear good things about Brunehaut Ambrée & Brunehaut Bio Blonde . I've had a few customers say it was good. I'd love to hear from those who are more in tune with the GF movement.

10. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Another vote for Harvester here

11. thanks guys highly appreciated!!!!!
    ChEERS!

12. einhorn

einhorn Savant (370) California Nov 3, 2005

Check out Sprecher's Shakparo.

13. While we're on this topic, can anyone recommend a "good" (read: drinkable) sorghum beer ? My girlfriend has recently gone gluten-free, and wants to try some. Luckily, I will continue to imbibe my beloved DIPAs. Thanks for any assistance.

14. I'm not avoiding gluten so I don't drink GF beers frequently. However, my daughter is avoiding gluten so I've tasted a few that she drinks. My experience is that none stand out, and each has its own character so that your girl friend will have to try those that are available and decide for herself. (All of the beers mentioned above in this thread may not be available to you, but you can read the various comments to see which might have a favorable report to get you started on the right track.)

My personal experience has been that the GF beers that are brewed as a dark style (amber, stout) have a bit more flavor than the light styles that are probably trying to taste like light American lagers, and these are flavorless. Most good beer shops will have a GF beer section so you won't have to search every shelf to find them, and then she should try each beer to see which appeals to her.

15. Luckily, my girlfriend prefers "sweet" to "hoppy/bitter", so perhaps we can find some in that style with a flavor profile she can enjoy. Thanks.

16. Yuck. Fermented funky grains.

17. einhorn

einhorn Savant (370) California Nov 3, 2005

To each his own. I know it is brewed with a Belgian ale yeast, and I found it to be quite refreshing and different.

18. If you're OK with a low-gluten beer, I think Brunehaut is the best. Does anyone know if you can get Harvester in Mass? I've never seen it.

19. MDempy

MDempy Aspirant (35) New York Nov 6, 2011

I was a big IPA fan and about a year ago was diagnosed with "gluten sensitivity", which admittedly is not celiacs which is much more serious. Nonetheless, I tried lots of gluten free beers to see if anything was decent. For the most part the results were very disappointing. I think the gluten free world separates into those that are using barley and altering it to remove gluten and those that are trying non-gluten ingredients such as sorghum. As a former "regular" beer drinker, I have yet to find a non-barley beer that I can stomach. I have settled on the Estrella Dram Daura for a pilsner, and I think it's a pretty good one. I also like the Omission IPA, which is hard to find in my area, but I think is as close as you are going to come to a real IPA in the gluten free world. If neither of those are to your liking, I would prescribe a big California Cabernet.

Givemebeer likes this.