Going to Atlanta for Business

Discussion in 'South Atlantic' started by Ericl2, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ericl2

Ericl2 Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2013 Indiana
    Trader

I'll be in Atlanta the first week in May. Are there any breweries within a couple hours drive worth going to? I have a afternoon free and planning to make a trip. Was thinking about Terrapin....just wondering if it's worth it?

2. mrandypandy

mrandypandy Pundit (917) Mar 3, 2007 Georgia

Unlike other states, Georgia breweries can't sell on-site/direct to the consumer, so you will be limited to brewery tours with corresponding samples. I'd check with each respective brewery for dates/times, but know Terrapin, Sweetwater, Monday Night, Red Brick, Three Taverns, etc. all do tours in some capacity.
    If you have no interest in seeing the inside workings of the brewery and just want to drink good beer and eat good food, I'd recommend Brick Store Pub in Decatur or The Porter in Little Five Points. If you go to The Porter, make sure to get the salt & vinegar popcorn. It's the tits.

krmkrm and GatorBeerNerd like this.
  3. wjrainer

wjrainer Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2014 North Carolina

You don't have to go on the tours though. They'll sell you a pint glass and give you tickets for "samples." These samples are about 10 oz pours of your choice and you get six of them for $8 or so. It's actually very affordable and you get to keep the glass. I've enjoyed visiting Monday Night and Sweetwater. The beer isn't mindblowing at either brewery, but both are really cool places. I would recommend both breweries

4. RDMII

RDMII Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Monday Night, Blue Tarp, Three Taverns, and Red Brick are the best breweries to tour. Terrapin isn't bad but it's a drive, and Sweetwater is only good if you're a popped collar fratboy douchebag. Seriously. Plus the majority of their beers suck. If you can swing dining in, Twain's and The Wrecking Bar are an absolute must. Both are great brewpubs, with The Wrecking Bar being mindblowing for most newcomers. For drinks only, The Porter, The Argosy, The Midway Pub, Brickstore, and the Square Pub are all standouts.

dbrelsfo likes this.
  5. Ericl2

Trader

Thanks, I guess I won't be driving to Terrapin...just for guest pours. I didn't know that breweries in GA couldn't sell onsite. I guess every state has stupid laws. I'll have to check out The Wrecking Bar.

6. Ericl2

Trader

Also, are there any restrictions on when I can buy beer? The reason I ask is that when I was in Madison, WI, they don't sell alcohol after 9pm. I land around 6pm...and checking to see if I should stop at Hop City before I get to the hotel or after I checked in and had dinner.

7. krmkrm

krmkrm Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2013 Alaska

They can't sell their beer, but they can give away beer for free, including their own (aiui). Alcohol can be sold in stores until midnight every night, but can't be sold before noon on Sundays (not sure when sales usually start; I'm never awake for that). Hop City will definitely be open for you post-flight, though you'll have to hurry if you land on Sunday (they close at 7, then). Definitely make time for a trip there regardless, though!

8. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Pooh-Bah (2,502) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Pooh-Bah

midnight sales, and noon on sundays.. Thats for bottles.

Hit up 5 Seasons for dinner on the westside, it's next to HopCity.. Good brews and really good food.

9. Ericl2

Trader

I arrive on Monday and fly out on Friday...so I should be good. Coming from Chicago...any beers that I should look for? I know CCB distributes....probably will get some Jai Alai. Just looking for anything that doesn't get to Chicago. I know seek a brew will tell me which breweries distributes to Ga, but doesn't mean it's accurate.

10. mondegreen

mondegreen Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2009 Georgia

If you have a chance to try any Burnt Hickory, go for it. Possibly the best up and coming brewery in the state.

11. Ericl2

Trader

Where have you seen their beer? Would they carry it at Hop City or do I need to go to another beer store?

12. mondegreen

I've only seen it on tap. They were pouring out of bottles at Huna Day this year, but I haven't seen the bottles at retail.

13. Ericl2

Trader

Thanks....after doing some research, I don't think they'll start bottling beer until their new system is upgraded. I think they're going from a 2 barrel to a 20 barrel system. I have one afternoon off....have to decide if I go there or Terrapin. I'll also try to find tap lists of restaurants near where I'm staying. Thanks for the info.

14. spicoli00

spicoli00 Pooh-Bah (2,231) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society

Pretty sure you only do bizzz-nassss in hotlanta

15. mondegreen

I'm not sure exactly where you are staying, but I wouldn't drive from Atlanta to Athens just to visit Terrapin. If there is other stuff you want to do in Athens, then maybe it'd be worth it. Also, there is no guarantee that Terrapin will have anything interesting on when you come. I haven't been out there in a good while, but the last several times I went the stuff on tap was just the year round stuff (Rye Pale, Hopsecutioner, Golden) with maybe one side project/monster beer thrown in (Big Hoppy, Mosaic, etc...).

krmkrm likes this.
  16. RDMII

RDMII Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Agreed. Driving to Terrapin just to go is quite a trip, plus they may not even be open when you go. Unlike NC where breweries seem to be open and pouring every day, GA breweries only open to the public certain days/times. You're better off staying intown and hitting stuff closeby. All the breweries will have tour times on their websites.

17. GeorgiaKiwi

GeorgiaKiwi Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2007 Georgia

If you have an afternoon off go to Decatur and hit Brick Store, Twains, and Square Pub. They are all in close proximity and close to the Decatur Marta station. Do not miss the Wrecking Bar whatever else you do.

18. Hophead21

Hophead21 Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2013 Pennsylvania

Was at SweetWater Brewery a couple weeks ago. Amazing time, great beers, and a really cool brewery to visit.

19. Ericl2

Trader

I'm staying in Buckhead. If I understand the system right, I can take the Red line to 5 points. From there...the Blue line takes me to Decater. Seems easy enough. That way, don't need to worry if I had too much to drink. Thanks

20. mondegreen

If you drink too much then get on MARTA, you might have "other" things to worry about...

FATC1TY likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.