1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Going to Belgium

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by cbilek06, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Hi,

I'm going to Belgium next week. I am taking back bottles home with me, but only for myself and to share with friends. I am looking for suggestions of what to bring home (and maybe what to try over there). Specfically, what beer is fairly available over in Belgium, that is hard to find here in the US (or So Cal). What are the 'can't miss' beers?

I love Blond, Dubbel, Tripel, Quad, Belgiian IPA, and I recently began enjoying Flemmish Bruin and Red. I've never tried a Gueze, but I imagine I would like it too.

I will be visiting Brussels ,Ghent Antwerp, and Bruges and I looked on the beer finder for bottle shops.

Thanks in advance.
    Chris
  2. crossovert

crossovert Champion (765) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Westvleteren 12, you can find it in brussels, or at the brewery. There are some more accessible style geuzes that are available such as Jacobins that are good and easy to find.
  3. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

4. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

Visit Cantillon. Bring back as much as humanly possible. Even if you don't like it, you can just use it as trade bait.
    HopsJunkiedotcom likes this.
  5. This is your answer.
    HopsJunkiedotcom likes this.
  6. fartmaster

fartmaster Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2011

just try anything new and if you like it bring it back
  7. Jwale73

Jwale73 Advocate (670) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007

Pick up a copy of Michael Jackson's "Great Beers of Belgium." You can focus on the areas where you are going to visit to see if there are any true locals you may not be able to try outside of Belgium.
  8. JorisP

JorisP Aficionado (200) Belgium Dec 6, 2002

Michael Jacksons' book was a fantastic book, and deserves a place on any bookshelf. But as a guide, it starts to be a bit outdated, now.
    Tim Webbs' Good Beer guide to Belgium is already a bit more up-to-date.
    If you want my opinion, you could do worse than start in Brussels to go to the very central Moeder Lambic Fontainas (BTW, Cantillon brewery is 15-20 mins walking distance), and ASK the (very knowledgeable) staff there to guide you. Only place, BTW, where you'll find Cantillon by the handpump.
    In Gent, go to de Hopduvel shop, and again, ask for guidance.
    In Antwerpen, go to Oud Arsenaal first, let them help you, and then go to Kulminator - with a couple of trade bottles from where you come, offer them to the owner, and ask what you ought to ask for.
    Brugge, same procedure @ Brugs' Beertje, and ask the staff where the REALLY interesting shops are.
    My two Eurocents...
    Jwale73 and UncleJimbo like this.
  9. Let's not forget about the Struise shop in Brugge.
  10. The best thing you can do if you drine a car is to visit Dranken Geers near Gent in a place called Oostakker. One of the best selections of beer in Belgium! Without a car it is a bit too far away, the same for the abbey of Westvleteren. Doopiedoopiedoo is right. Don't forget the Struise shop where you can taste the beers also. Their adress is Burg 15, right in the center of Brugge!
  11. What did they say when you asked them that question?
  12. JorisP

JorisP Aficionado (200) Belgium Dec 6, 2002

It is 100% sure I never had to ask Daisy that question... She sometimes has hints for rather special offerings, but I fear she esteems I know the addresses a wee bit myself... And in tempore non suspecto, that kind of thing didn't exist as such. :D

And yes, I was thinking of the Struise beershop as well.