1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Going to Europe this fall, buying rare beer off the shelf?

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by Cinderbike, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Cinderbike

Cinderbike Savant (280) Nevada Jan 16, 2011

Me and the Mrs are tentatively planning a trip in October, and I'm just wondering how easy/hard it is to walk into stores and find rarer 3F, Cantillon etc., especially Blabaer.

Is there a certain time of year these are released? I know some are exclusive to certain shops.

2. futura123

futura123 Savant (340) California Jul 29, 2010

Blabaer is one day release in Denmark so no, you can't expect to walk to stores and buy them.

From what people told me, it's even hard to find limited Cantillon like LP Gueuze, St Gilloise, Vigneronne...and most of the rarer 3F, Cantillon... completely gone.

3. Erzengel

Erzengel Aficionado (240) Germany Sep 8, 2008

Are you serious with this question??? The Cantillon Blåbær is specially brewed for Ølbutikken beer-shop in Copenhagen --> check their website for further questions!! Only available there and sold out immediately after the release!
    The beers from brouwerij Drie Fonteinen are all available at the brewery-shop itself [http://www.3fonteinen.be/] There the beers (especially the «Armand'4...») are much cheaper than in bottle-shops!

--> If you are without a car, it is a) hard to find some special Gueuzes and b) very expensive...

When do you come and where are you planning to travel to?

4. The Cantillon brewery itself often has Vigneronne, the Lou Pepe beer, etc., and cheaper than you will find anywhere. But "often" is the key word and sometimes they will only have gueuze, kriek and a couple of others.

Beer Planet in Brussels will be one of your better bets for rare lambics. Lately I've heard of them having De Cam Oude Faro and 3 Fonteinen Golden Blend, for example. Prices are sometimes higher there than other bottle shops, sometimes lower.

Delices et Caprices is also worth a visit; always something interesting there, even if it's not what you were hunting. Smaller selection but better conversation.

5. Cinderbike

Cinderbike Savant (280) Nevada Jan 16, 2011

Thanks everyone. Good to know re: Blabaer release, I didn't know much about the release specifics... Looks like a May/June trip to Copenhagen is in order...

6. Old thread but ... If you come over in October we can exchange some beer 4 beer if you like ...
    If you can bring that extra suitcase of US beer, I'm pretty sure I can fill it up again ! Russian River, Bells, Ale Smith, Three Floyds, Stone, Bruery or other small breweries have caught my attention so if you're interested and you have easy access to a few of there brews, we can meet up in Octobre and do the exchange. As already mentioned here, Blabaer is very difficult to get but I can provide you with the more common Cantillon & 3F things and maybe I can give you a taste of some 'lesser gods' of Belgium beer which don't make it to the US :).