1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Going to Iceland

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by luwak, Mar 25, 2012.

1. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

So i'll be in Iceland for about two weeks in July.
    I guess this isi just the usual post inquiring about beers, bars, breweries etc...

I read this with some interest as beer was apparently banned in iceland until 1989 ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_Iceland

Any tips or info or even any familiarity with any Icelandic beers from elsewhere would be appreciated

UPDATE: i found this:

www.bjorspjall.is

maybe i'll try to read it

2. I can really recommend Ölvisholt Brugghús. Probably the best, of the few, craft breweries on Iceland. Definitely worth tasting.

Einstök should also be making good beers, from what I've heard, but I haven't tasted any of them. The same goes for Viking Ölgerds stout, should be good, but haven't tasted it.

EmperorBevis likes this.
  3. Bassidog

Bassidog Disciple (60) Iceland Nov 10, 2008

Go to the Icelandic Bar in downtown Reykjavik. They should have every Icelandic beer available.
    If you are doing some traveling, then Bjorsetrid (beermansion) up north is absolutely the best beer place in the country.

4. Spent 5 days in Iceland in Summer 09

Wasn't with a particularly beery group if you know what I mean - so no real research/inroads made into good beer

Aside from the bland local lagers - Gull etc, the only beer of merit I came across (in 1 bar in Akureyri - we drank them out in 1 hour) was Islenkur Urvals Viking Olgerd - Stout (as mentioned above)

5. Ölvisholt Brugghús has a solid lineup. Drink everything you can by them.

Iceland is a land of piss poor lagers above all. Viking Stout is also worth a look.

As was mentioned earlier Islanki Barren is the place to go.

Have a good time. Iceland is rad.

6. luwak

Okay thanks. These replies do help. Im sure i'll spend more timing hiking then drinking but Ive got some time for urban campaigning too and Ive read great things about bars and restaurants in Reykjavik so if there was beer to be had i didn't want to miss it.
    The little origination story on the Icelandic bar webpage is crazy! ive read about the changing fortunes of Iceland in recent years with their conversion to the financial industry leading to boom then bust. What times we live in, indeed:
    http://www.icelandicbar.is/Icelandic_Bar/thebar.html

I will also drive the island so maybe i can make it up to Bjorsetrid.

I'll post some pics in the summer.

7. luwak

Oh and doesn't anybody know if i can bring back beer from Iceland to US or Canada on a plane? (in checked baggage i mean)

8. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

I recently got the chance to have a Ölvisholt Brugghús Lava here in the US and I really enjoyed - I was very excited to find and try and Icelandic beer as I was born there...

9. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Yes but you will be limited by Customs (unless you want to pay the "duty") on the amount you can bring in duty-free.

10. luwak

yeah money can be planned for. unknown restrictions and imposing authority cannot.

11. Keene

Keene Managing Editor (285) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2009 Staff Member

12. Giving this a bump since I'll be in Reykjavik in early March. Are there any beer events happening between March 9-15? Also, any new beer bars or breweries that are a "must try? Any seasonal brews that I should seek out?

Thanks and Skál! (hope that's the correct Icelandic word for Cheers)

13. HjaltiB

HjaltiB Zealot (80) Iceland Feb 18, 2013

We now have quite a few microbreweries contributing to our ever growing craft beer scene, the best of them being aforementioned Ölvisholt, along with Borg and Gæðingur. The latter two have american-style IPAs that are quite good, called Úlfur (Borg) and Tumi Humall (Gæðingur) as well as a porter (Myrkvi from Borg) and a session stout (Gæðingur Stout). Borg have also released an Easter seasonal, a 10.5% Quadrupel that's supposed to be very good. There is of course a state monopoly on alcoholic beverages, with stores of different sizes all over the country. The one downtown is decent but the biggest selection is in Kringlan shopping mall.

The owners of Gæðingur run a small bar in the center of town called Microbar, which is by far the best place for beer in the country. The have 9 craft beers on tap, 8 of them from local microbreweries and they change them up regularly. In addition they have an incredible amount of bottles from all over the world and the prices are very fair relative to other bars. Kex Hostel also has some nice beer on tap (I have seen Mikkeller and To Öl there) along with Ölstofan (some Borg beers including seasonals).

I'd try to stay away from the local macros if you can. All beer here is expensive so you should at least try to get your money's worth.

P.s. Skál is very much the correct word. Skál, and enjoy your stay!

mythaeus, sliverX and andylipp like this.
  14. Thank you so much for the up-to-the-minute report on state of the Icelandic beer scene. It looks as though you just signed up for the forums today in order to reply to my inquiry. If that's the case, I doubly thank you.

15. HjaltiB

No problem mate. Feel free to contact me again if you need additional information.

andylipp likes this.
  16. We went yesterday to both MicroBar and also to whatever they are calling the Icelandic Bar now and enjoyed some terrific beer and conversation. Thanks again!

17. HjaltiB

Great! What did you get if I may ask?

18. It's 800 dollars worth of stuff you can bring back to the US. I've come back with 30+ bottles each of my last two trips and they didn't say a word to me.

19. A full report to follow. So busy seeing the country! Going to the symphony tonight so I will likely hit Microbar again ( third time).

20. Any report, will be traveling in early Nov. for our honeymoon?

21. Gah! Forgot to follow up on this.
    In short-the advice above from HjaltiB was perfect. The Microbar was THE beer destination in town. I recommend you chat up the fellow behind the bar there for other recommendations.Also, the Borg beers were pretty solid and found in several local bars, including the hotel bar at the Hilton where we stayed.
    The Kex Hostel also had some very good beers on tap.
    The country was beautiful. Enjoy your trip. And reach out to HjaltiB with any more questions. He really steered me in the right direction.

sliverX likes this.
  22. Thanks

23. Hollieparker

Hollieparker Initiate (5) Sep 10, 2014