1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Going to S.F. today; any beers I should look out for?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by SnowFlowMfg, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Making a little day trip to S.F. today. While i'm there I wouldn't mind picking up something good that I might not find in L.A. or happens to be a seasonal release or something.

Let me know what's in that area and where to find it, I'd really love getting something nice to sip on.

Thanks!

2. City Beer and The Jug Shop are your best bets to find a great selection of beers you might not be able to get.

3. What town are you going to?

4. od_sf

od_sf Savant (430) California Nov 2, 2010

I would have to add Healthy Spirits to that list. In my opinion they have a far better selection than city beer and jug shop combined.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14625/view=beerfly

atomeyes and kiki3drt292 like this.
  5. I wanted to say Healthy Spirits, but I've only been there once and it was good, but nothing the others didnt have. Super nice owner though.

6. I recommend Healthy Spirits as well. Nice bottle collection, nice glass collection, and Dave the beer manager is very knowledgeable.

7. Madskill

Madskill Savant (290) California Nov 25, 2012

Go Niners!

Rocket80 likes this.
  8. DocJitsu

DocJitsu Savant (440) California Dec 28, 2009

Definitely stop by City Beer. You might want to repost this in the Pacific forums. There are a lot of Bay area folks that are pretty active in the Pacific forums.

9. If you don't mind crossing the bay bridge and hitting up oakland... Beer Rev is the shit. They had Big Sky Ivan the Terrible two days ago. Not sure if they still have it now.

10. You might still be able to find some Pliny/Blind Pig (don't know how hard it is to come by where you live). Also, if you like IPAs, pick up a bottle of Iron Springs Casey Jones DIPA. I'm not really sure what all is around here that doesn't make it to SoCal otherwise. Maybe some CaliCraft beers?

11. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Definitely look out for drop beers.

But there's basically nothing we get up here that you guys don't get down there, which is endlessly frustrating when trying to trade for Alpine.

12. Get a cable car at Toronado nuff said

13. Ale's Unlimited is good if you can score parking.
    The Potrero Hill Whole Foods has a good selection as well, it's around the corner from Anchor Steam

14. tha ks guys, im about to head to healthy spirits and hopefully snag some barrel aged goodness. i appreciate the help!

MetalMountainMastiff likes this.
  15. They carry RR sours a lot also not sure those go to LA?

16. Madskill

Madskill Savant (290) California Nov 25, 2012

Niners!!!! Woah!!!

SnowFlowMfg likes this.
  17. Who's got it better than us?
    NOBODY!!!!

Madskill and afrokaze like this.
  18. Checked out Healthy Spirits. I like the name. The guys were helpful and ended up getting a bottle of Telegraph Rhinoceros HS exclusive aged in Evan Williams Barrels. Stoked to try it!

And yes, I get plenty of RR down in L.A. I'm lucky enough to get Pliny on tap pretty often and literally live within 200 yards of a Total Wine and Yardhouse...paradise if you ask me. lol

As for the rest of today, I stopped at Patxi's deep dish pizza in Palo Alto for a Pliny and the second half of the niners game. No complaints there. :) Go niners!

Madskill and Whatsarezaf like this.
  19. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (480) California Dec 11, 2010

I like that HS does a lot of exclusive beers with local breweries. They also do exclusive whiskeys too.