1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Going to Texas in Feb

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by beernads, Jan 10, 2013.

1. beernads

beernads Member

My g/f is headed to Alpine, TX the second week of February and is willing to bring back some beer to Florida for me. I'm not sure where she is flying into yet, or the cities she will be traveling throught to get there, but looking for recommendations on where to get good beer around there and which beers she should be on the lookout for.
  2. gtermi

gtermi Member

I say Jester King if you are looking for local beers. There are a lot of great breweries here in Texas, but a lot don't bottle and some bottle, but are in limited areas.
  3. Lutter

Lutter Member

Budweiser Platinum, Michelob Ultra, Ziegenbock, and Shiner Bock if you're lucky.

That's the middle of GD nowhere near Big Bend.

In my experience though, West Texas in general is a craft beer wasteland.

If it ends up she's flying into El Paso, you might have a shot at getting something good. I think we have at least 1 BA member out there.
  4. beernads

beernads Member

Yes I envision its like the Hills Have Eyes out there when it comes to beer.
  5. BrutalSusan

BrutalSusan Member

alpine is indeed in the middle of fucking nowhere. where she flies into plays a huge part. el paso gets some distribution, but generally its everywhere but west texas. id have to look into the distribution, but im sure there are things we get that florida doesnt.
  6. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Member

Big Bend Brewing Co. I don't think they bottle, but I'm sure they do growler fills.
  7. JohnBender

JohnBender Member

They can.

http://bigbendbrewing.com/
  8. mattisloco

mattisloco Member

Flying from Florida she'll almost have to fly into El Paso. I'm pretty well versed with El Paso if the handful of BA's from out there don't chime in.

FYI tell her to seriously dress as warm as she can. It gets unbelievably cold out there in Feb... my balls almost disappeared last time. It was so cold the water pipes in the ground froze solid, no joke, look it up.
  9. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Member

There you go. Don't know much about their beer, but they follow me on Instagram, so I thought I'd toss their name out there.
  10. kevinscott

kevinscott Member

Ford and starkmarvelo like this.
  11. HopsSchnapps

HopsSchnapps Member

12. Ford

Ford Member

13. beernads

beernads Member

How is Big Bend Brewing? If there beer isn't listed on BA does it truely exist?
  14. kevinscott

kevinscott Member

Their brewer was a big part of Live Oak Brewing Company over the past decade. And Live Oak is pretty widely regarded as a brewery that makes world class beers. I would expect pretty solid offerings from Big Bend Brewing. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to try any of them.
  15. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Member

Being as they're out in the middle of nowhere, I doubt many of us here have tried any of their stuff. They're a very new brewery too, but their stuff looks promising.
  16. Dizzy

Dizzy Member

Just wondering if anyone has tried their beer yet? I'm going on a trip to big bend soon and wonder if I should try to seek this out or take beer with me.
  17. beernads

beernads Member

She is in Alpine now and said there wasn't much to choose from there.
  18. beerserks

beerserks Member

Sorry I didnt see this thread till now, but if she is coming back to El Paso to fly out her best spots to pick up bottles are Primos Craft Beer, The Liquor Company, Specs in Sundland Park, and The Side Door Liquor Store.