1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $14.99 (US/print only). Offer ends April 30. Subscribe now! (Because great beer deserves great stories AND readers.)

Going to the London Olympics? Branded British real ale banned!

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,650) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Those looking to grab a pint of English Ale during the Olympics will be out of luck ...
    Read the rest ...
    http://siba.co.uk/2012/04/a-pint-of...-means-branded-ales-cannot-be-sold-at-venues/

2. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Bullshit but to be expected for the money machine that is the Olympics I suppose.

We should totally boycott the royal wedding Olympics ;)

woosterbill and weatherdog like this.
  3. emannths

emannths Savant (435) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Hardly much of a consolation, but...

4. SauceBoss

SauceBoss Aficionado (110) Florida Sep 17, 2010

Its better than the green bottle stuff imo

5. cavedave

cavedave Poobah (1,035) New York Mar 12, 2009

I guess if your Olympic teams are gonna get skunked, the beers you drink to console yourselves should be as well.

6. That's lame, but to be expected in this world of big-$$$-£££ sponsorship deals. Any BAs going to the Games should just take the short walk over to Tap East in the huge mall right next to the Olympics site. Definitely the best selection I've seen in a shopping center.

7. And here's me naively thinking that one the purposes of holding the Olympics in London is to showcase the Best of British...quite a rididulous decision, but at the end of the day, I suppose money talks.

8. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (695) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

I'd expect nothing less from the Olympics. The stated purpose may be sports, but the real goal is money. (for both the institution and the individual committee members) Hopefully those who travel to this bloated event step outside the venues and visit the real England.

9. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Savant (480) New Jersey Nov 21, 2011

Seperating the public from its money is a gold medal competition. The players change, the game does not.

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  10. Expected, but still a nauseating citation of the purely corporate interests that pervade and bloat this "elite sporting event". The World Cup's no different. Thank fuck I'll be in Ireland, Belgium and Holland for most of August.