Going to Utica and Syracuse for one month...

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Brenden, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brenden

Brenden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,412) Feb 25, 2008 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hello all,

I will be heading to New York from Ohio beginning next week (I think Sunday the 21st), and I'll be staying for a full month training for a job. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good bar that does a monthly, or even a weekly, tasting, or if there's a group that might be meeting within that time. Also, is there anything new opening up or just opened that I should know about? I'll be staying in the Utica/Rome area but commuting every day to Syracuse. Any information would be appreciated. I'm also willing to mule some Midwest stuff if anyone was interested.

2. butters_mcgee

butters_mcgee Pooh-Bah (1,783) Feb 26, 2014 New York
    Pooh-Bah

seems like a hassle commuting an hour each way every day.
    why not stay in 'Cuse if you have to go there everyday?
    sorry, off beer topic, but that strikes me as odd.
    otherwise, check out this map of places in the area
    http://fingerlakesbeertrail.com/content/

VABA likes this.
  3. BadJustin

BadJustin Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2010 New York

Best bet in Utica is a place called Stockdales in Oriskany (between Utica and Rome) or in the Varick St section of Utica a bar called Nail Creek. Bottle shop is Marcy Discount Beverage. Great selection great guys. Tell them I sent ya (seriously). I work just outside Utica so I'm a local. There aren't any tasting groups in the area at bars but I've got a more than enough bottles to pop some if you're interested. Bring fresh Head Hunter please! Feel free to shoot me a BM dude.

Syracuse12 and squack like this.
  4. squack

squack Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2013 Virginia

Green Onion (bar) and Hop & Goblet (bottle shop) in Utica on Genesee Street aren't bad either.

Edit: But BadJustin's recommendations are usually my first choices.

5. Brenden

Brenden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,412) Feb 25, 2008 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That's just the job, I guess. It's not precisely Utica, but a little town a bit outside of it; I'm just used to saying that as the general area that would be recognizable. The trip is actually more like 35-40 minutes. When I'm done with my month of training, I'll be working from where I live in Ohio.
    BTW, thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

6. shrek806

shrek806 Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2010 New York

in Syracuse, you want to hit the Blue Tusk and J. Ryans at least one

TheBigEast likes this.
  7. keithmurray

keithmurray Pooh-Bah (2,943) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society

Check out World of Beer in the Destiny USA mall (Syracuse)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.