1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Gold Coast options?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by gulden, Apr 16, 2012.

1. gulden

gulden Aficionado (180) Australia Mar 20, 2011

Hi all,

Any good bottle shops to check out where I can get some stuff you wouldn't find elsewhere in the Gold Coast or bars with craft beer?

Cheers

2. gulden

Is there really nothing up there?

3. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (620) Australia Dec 29, 2006

4. gulden

Yeah, I'd certainly be in the 'toolie' classification at the end of the year so am timing the trip so it doesn't coincide with any of that. Thanks for the tip. If nothing else, I guess I have to hope for Burleigh, Little Creatures or Stone and Wood I'm guessing (though not holding my breath).

5. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

Pretend that you're going to a desolate wilderness and make sure you provision accordingly.

From what i can gather, the lack of craft beer options on the Gold Coast, make the metaphor apt.

6. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (540) Australia Jun 15, 2010

I don't think drunk promiscuous 17 year olds have yet acquired a taste for craft beer

7. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

When I get sick of malt & hops and develop a taste for drunk promiscuous 17 year olds I will know where to go then...

8. dbol

dbol Savant (255) California Aug 19, 2007

was just back there at christmas. pickings are pretty slim. if you make the 45 min drive to byron you can visit stone & wood, which i'd definitely recommend, just call and give them a heads up. like mrkennedy mentioned, burleigh is there and you'll find their beer at a decent number of bars. i wanted to visit their spot, but never got around to it. there's a couple of danno's around, too. which end of the coast are you staying?

9. gulden

Cheers for all the recommendations.

Sorry - I should have clarified that I am going to surfers paradise. Would have made it a bit easier for everyone to give advice (more advice still welcome as am not going for another month or so). Last time I was up there was about 12 years ago and we only did a drive through so was pretty hard to see what was really there!

10. mulder1010

mulder1010 Advocate (580) Australia Aug 29, 2008

can skip the beer and go to spirits!!!!! Have had a couple of friends go up there and they have said the pickings are very slim.