1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Golden Road Offering Growler Fills of Berliner Weisse

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by UnknownKoger, Jan 22, 2013.

1. ...and their other beers, but whatever

From their facebook:

kotayk and BdubleEdubleRUN like this.
  2. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

Weren't they already doing that like 9 months ago?
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  3. Finally a Golden Road post that is relevant to my interests/10

Still waiting on cans.
    thome50, afrokaze, ryno09 and 3 others like this.
  4. kotayk

kotayk Aficionado (180) California Feb 22, 2011

Now they need to start making beer ppl wanna drink
    Maybe Meg can cancel her next photo shoot and take a tour at el segundo to see how it's done
    thome50, UnknownKoger and kojevergas like this.
  5. I've never seen a brewery have such great distritubion skills and such low brewing acumen. I've been to a couple bars that have a taplist like this: BMC, newcastle, heineken, guinness, and point the way. They even sell Golden Road stuff at Ralphs supermarket.
    jpeck13, pmarlowe and kojevergas like this.
  6. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

I liked the hef.
  7. LA deserves a better vanguard
    thome50 and kotayk like this.
  8. I really wish Craftsman offered some sort of growler pick fill up. :(
    queens1130 likes this.
  9. Wowcoolman

Wowcoolman Savant (480) California Sep 25, 2010

Golden Road cans are fun - they show specific LA locations and they are easy to drink out of and recycle. With a growler all you get is a lot of GR beer.
  10. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

THIS, very much so this! I have a friend that gets their kegs, but I'm looking for something smaller than a keg lol
    John11486 likes this.
  11. It would seem that the opposite of your observation is actually true.
    There's a reason for this and Golden Road recognizes, and is capitalizing on it.

My hope is that Golden Road will become a New Belgium type of brewer. You won't have a tap handle in every bar or a six pack in every liquor store if your flagship is a 100ibu Citra Nelson face-melter.
    sirtomtom and blguillen like this.
  12. You make a valid argument there. Their flagships are different enough and tasty enough to be considered that gateway beer for those just getting off PBR and Coors. I just wish their special offerings were better. Besides the berliner, there hasn't been much stand outs in a positive way. How bad was that tequila hef? yeeesh
  13. JGates

JGates Zealot (90) California May 18, 2011

I'm dissapointed in this brewery. I was there 3 days ago and they would not fill my growler of berliner weiss. They were also out of the syrups for their weisse's even though they had just listed on their website that day that they had them. Spontaneously decided to drive an hour to grab a refreshing drink with my girlfriend and instead sipped on a white rascal and left. Also their draft list said "Dogfish Head--Imperial Ale" as one of the beers.
    pwoody11 and kotayk like this.

14. I had their hef over a year ago... Man, what a disappointment. Hopefully Jesse will turn things around.
  15. I think that with the new brewer coming in, coupled with their willingness to make more extreme beers (barrel aged, 10% barleywine, etc.), we will start seeing things going up and getting better with Golden Road.
  16. vacax

We don't need extreme beers we need them to get the basics right first
  17. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

Better beers please. The name is all over, but the beers are sub par. Maybe their new brewer will do some good to the name Golden!
  18. God damnit I couldn't agree more.

And you can cast any hopes of their beers improving with a new brewer at the helm. The previous brewer resigned because he wasn't given free reign to improve the beers they were making. That's what happens when distribution deals are cut before good beer is made.
    thome50 likes this.
  19. kotayk

good point
    i figured he was axed ...but u seem to have inside info that he was the one who quit.
    hope the new guy puts his foot down and says if u hired me this is how it will be ..maybe that will help.
  20. vacax

I think this raises a critical issue that is going to arise more and more with the exploding craft beer industry. Just because a brewery isn't owned by AB-InBev or MillerCoors doesn't mean it is a paragon of beer. If a company believes more in how much they sell instead of what they sell, are they really a craft brewer? I'm going to say no. I don't know the source of your statement, but if that is the case then there are plenty of local brewers here that deserve our support instead of Golden Road. Given their excessively rapid expansion and lack of brewing quality, this is certainly very believable.
  21. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Golden Road Tumbledown Shack is the blandest 10% barley wine I have ever encountered.
  22. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

I'm not really seeing what Golden Road's incentive would be to do this. Like it or not, PtW tap handles are everywhere, and the shelf presence of GR cans is monstrous. I don't have access to their sales figures, but it seems intuitive that they're clearly hitting their mark.

Like most BAs, I don't find their beers terribly exciting but it seems rather clear by now that Golden Road is not making beers for us. Their niche is with the Whole Foods/Buy Local crowd, and they appear to be terribly successful at tapping into it at the moment. I have my doubts as to whether courting that market is a viable business strategy five, ten, twelve years from now, but it's okay guys, really: there's allowed to be one or two breweries whose demographic isn't entirely extreme, -bal aged, uberhopped-triple IPA-obsessed beer geeks.
    ehammond1 and UCLABrewN84 like this.
  23. I couldn't agree more about breweries not going for the extreme. I speak for myself here, but I think the problem a lot of beer drinkers have with them is that they've identified a target market instead of letting the market find them.
  24. reminds me of what was said in the Brewer's Association article Craft vs. Crafty. I'm inclined to agree
    grilledsquid and kotayk like this.
  25. The fact remains that almost all of Golden Road's beers are 3.5 or above, and that is based on ratings on a craft beer website from those of us who actually review beers. It's hard to argue (other than your personal taste of course) that they are making bad beer when the reviews actually show a different trend.
  26. vacax

3.5 on BA isn't really saying a lot. Check out the percentiles on RB.
    thome50, kotayk and westcoastbeerlvr like this.
  27. kotayk

From GRB -
    You might want to keep an eye on The Pub at Golden Road in the coming weeks! "Inspired by brewers back in the 1800's to win over the Russian Czar, this is the king of stouts, boasting high alcohol by volumes and plenty of malt character. Low to moderate levels of carbonation with huge roasted, chocolate and burnt malt flavours. Often dry. Suggestions of dark fruit and flavors of higher alcohols are quite evident. Hop character can vary from none, to balanced to aggressive." (description from BeerAdvocate)