1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Good Alehouse in Fountain Valley/Huntington Beach.

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by whiskey, Jan 29, 2013.

1. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

Looking for a mellow place with a good tap list and decent food...any suggestions BA?

2. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (690) California Dec 15, 2012

I've been to Slater's 50/50 (https://slaters5050.com/). They have a decent tap list, and tasty burgers... 50% beef, 50% bacon thus the name.

3. whiskey

Thanks man, went there last year and we could barely talk due to the noise... hoping for kind of a laid back place(if it exists around here).

4. blguillen

blguillen Savant (300) California Apr 19, 2011

I used to live in FV, but now am in Tustin. Not sure if a laid back type place exists out there :(

5. whiskey

Yeah, I moved away 4 years ago before I was into craft beer, so I'm familiar with the area, just not in a craft beer sense.

6. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Aficionado (240) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

Go to beachwood BBQ in seal beach

7. whiskey

Leaving in a half hour! Anybody want to chime in?

8. whiskey

That's gonna be in a few days.

9. blguillen

Go try and hit Newport Beach Brew Co and Crow Burger across the street.

10. whiskey

Ended up at the Taphouse on Warner and Magnolia. They probably had 40 or 50 taps. Service was horrific. Ordered a ballast point Big Eye IPA...she brought me an adjunct lager, but she never came around so I had to go to the bar to get the right beer.

11. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

Not really my kind of place to go and kick back for a beer or three. Service was below average and most did not know what style of beers they were serving. Too loud inside. More like a so so selection of beers and dance floor with loud noise playing in the background. I don't see these guys being in business to long. I think they are just another wanna be craft beer joint. On for the ride. Plus a lot of the peeps inside I saw ordering the regular crap.

Your better off at Beachwood BBQ in SB. I would even go to Brixs in Sunset Beach before going to taphouse.

12. whiskey

I went there because it was 5 minutes from me and the friends I met. The good part was that it was Monday night and there were only three parties in the whole joint, so it was very quiet for us.

Yeah, but in addition to getting me the wrong beer that time, I ordered another beer and it sat at the bar for 15 minutes until I went up to ask the bartender if I could have my while she BS'd with her coworkers. She f'd up my food order too.

We've had Beachwood on the agenda for a few weeks, last night just wasn't the time.

13. dcgunman

Heading there this afternoon for happy hour. Drop in. I'm just 10 minutes from there. I'll be there after I get off work.

whiskey likes this.
  14. whiskey

Man, I would if I could. The purpose of my visit here is to spend time with and take care of my dad that only has a couple months to live...my beer escapades have to come after I make him dinner and get him settled at night.

mrcraft and dcgunman like this.
  15. dcgunman

Family first bro. Always!!

16. mrcraft

I'm sorry to hear. You're a good man.

17. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (250) California Jul 7, 2012

Head over to Mr Kegs off Warner and Springdale, pick up some brews, and kickback with your friends at someones house. Cheaper, more quiet, and the service should be dependable :p

whiskey and dcgunman like this.
  18. whiskey

Yeah, we hit Hilltop on Beach and Indianapolis and got some Alesmith stuff...still have to hit Hi-Time before I leave. Looks like I'm going to go away empty handed on the Alpine front though, just can't make it to San Diego county.

Does Mr. Keg have a good bottle selection?

19. blguillen

I think so. If you buy six beers, you get a 10% discount.

20. mrcraft

When are you leaving? I'll be in Huntington Beach on Sunday for a Super Bowl party. Either near PCH/Main or Beach/Atlanta. If you're interested, we can meet up somewhere and you can have my bottle of Alpine Pure Hoppiness to take back with you.

whiskey likes this.
  21. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (250) California Jul 7, 2012

One of, if not the best I've found in HB. There's also totalwine on beach and edinger, whole foods in the Bella terra shopping center, liquor liquor off Warner and goldenwest, another hilltop on gothard and Warner, and liquor warehouse on Adams and I believe magnolia. Each of those will occasionally have some gems, but as the above poster stated mr kegs offers a 10% discount when you buy six (or more, if Dustin is working and you talk beer/ask for recommendations).

Make an evening of it, and swing by the Bruery tasting room (about 20-30 minutes from HB depending on how far south you are) and swing by mr k's on the corner. Two birds one stone.

whiskey likes this.
  22. whiskey

^^ Beer advocacy right there!

I'm leaving the 6th. I'd love to give some $ for it or you can give me your address and I could send you something from my neck of the woods in WA when I get back.

23. dcgunman

Hit up Beachwood SB yesterday and had the last glass n half of Amalgamator IPA. It blew quick for one of BW's great IPA's. If you make it over to BW SB they just tapped Pliny & Sculpin on Habanero's. My Bloody Valentine from Alesmith is on tap as well. Check out Mr Kegs before you head back to Wash. Ask for Dustin. They do have a very good selection in the cooler. I'm right around the corner from Mr Kegs so it's my go to spot. I'm done driving all over OC looking for certain beers wasting time and gas. There's also Liquor Warehouse on Adams and Magnolia. Haven't been there in ages. They do get Pliny in every other week. And they give out 3 bottles per person. At least they did back then. Not sure what their policy is these days.
    I'm heading up to Kern River this Friday for the Citra release. Send me a BM if you'd like a bottle of Citra to take back with you.

Cheers

24. whiskey

BM sent!

25. blguillen

dcgunman and EdTheEdge like this.
  26. whiskey

Just a quick update, the day before mrcraft and I were to meetup I scored a bottle of Total Hoppinness so he was able to keep his bottle and still reap the good karma!

dcgunman delivered me an ice cold bottle of Kern Citra(free of charge!) on Monday which will be taken back in the AM to Spokane and be shared amongst four craft beer lovers!

Thanks fellas!

blguillen and dcgunman like this.
  27. wponz

wponz Zealot (90) California Dec 22, 2005

If you like BBQ, try BT's BBQ in HB. Good food and nice selection of beer.