1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Good BA rating, poor Bros rating

Discussion in 'Site' started by DCgolfpro, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Savant (440) Maryland Oct 26, 2011

I always find it interesting to see beers that have a large discrepancy between the BA rating and Bros rating. Beers such as Lagunita's Sucks. What beer has the biggest gap between ratings? What would you attribute that to if anything other than a coincidence in taste?
  2. superspak

superspak Champion (850) Michigan May 5, 2010

Two Hearted comes to mind. 78 vs 95

Could have sworn Expedition had a huge gap, but I checked the ratings and it's gone?
    sbuysse likes this.
  3. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I attribute it to people having different tastes. Sometimes I agree with the bros, sometimes I don't. The BA rating is an average rating. Click lowest, and you'll see people who agree with the bros when they rate something low which averages high.
    FreshmanPour77 likes this.
  4. For a while, Expedition Stout had like a 70 rating from the Bros. compared to its 94 BA rating. I agree(d) with the bros rating more than I do the BA score, by the way... ;)
    creepinjeeper and cmmcdonn like this.
  5. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

For the same reasons that your own reviews might differ from the general consensus.

I know I'm not alone in having a number of ratings that don't even remotely line up with the overall score:

Dragon's Milk - 2.05
    Mikkeller Black - 2.30
    Griffin's Bow - 4.48
    Ghost Face Hillah - 4.00

If everyone in the world had the same palate, there would be no use for a site like this. God bless diversity! Oh yeah, and happy Dr. King Day :D
  6. Don't forget sometimes the ratings from the Bros are old.
  7. Fair amount of Southampton Publick if I recall. Yeah I also find it interesting - I tend to agree with the bros on two hearted actually.

but there can definitely be a lot of extenuating circumstances - ie westy 8 has a low 'bros' rating because one of the bottles was aged and they hated it, but the other rating they had on it (which was fresh) was very high...
  8. evilc

True. 2 years ago I'd rate Sculpin a 5, now no higher than 3.5.
  9. Jason

Jason Founder (1,300) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Damn ... I worked hard on reviewing that style. Lots of duds. Seriously took a lot of effort in finding one of the best within its group and trying to understand the brewer's full intention. Steel Reserve was a win for me ... to each their own.

I appreciate you pointing this out as it has again inspired me to seek out the malt liquors I have yet to try.

Cheers!!
  10. evilc

I get the review. It's like when people who hate horrors review horrors and say they suck - you don't like horrors a-hole - don't review it, or at least review it in its genre! If you review a malt liquor, you should review it AS A MALT LIQUOR, and not as someone who hates malt liquor.

So - I think what Jason did is entirely accurate.
    Treyliff, nanobrew, JxExM and 5 others like this.
  11. I agree. I always review a beer within the context of how it relates to other beers of its style and what it's trying to accomplish therein.
  12. The bros experience a subjective interpretation of a chemical reaction occuring in the brain, the same as everyone else. What the herd has to say about anything has no bearing on your own interpretation of it

Drinking beer becomes more fun once you realize that your own opinion is the only one that matters
  13. I get the whole reviewing to style thing but there's a reason even the "best" beers in some styles such as malt liquors, AAL and light lagers don't get great overall reviews. Overall they're just not very good. If every style is rated independently shouldnt every style have beers rated as world class then?
    TomClem, juliusseizure, AmitC and 2 others like this.
  14. Then why are you here?
    JG-90, zach60614 and DCgolfpro like this.
  15. The bros give Sam Smith's stuff super high ratings. In reality people's palates are different you know?
  16. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Served Griffin's bow with a home made roasted pineapple ice cream at a dinner. Blew people's minds. So fun.
    jbertsch and yamar68 like this.
  17. Flying Dog Raging Bitch Belgian IPA 89 vs 71
  18. Sometimes they reformulate the beers for various reasons, such as ingredient supply and demand costs. For a lot of people it's about what they are used to drinking in their region, varieties like pilsners in Germany or stout pale ales in the UK ect.. So availability matters along with price and freshness and so forth.

When you can actually drink the beers on tap vs bottles and cans, this also makes a big difference in taste. Just like when I taste the metal in some canned beers, so I have to let them breath for a while, but if I had the same beer on tap my review would be different.

Jason, I can recall drinking my first Colt 45 with Billy Dee Williams.. lol. Malt Liquor is not for everyone that's for sure. My choice has always been Mickey's Fine Malt Liquor in the green unique beehive-shaped, wide-mouthed 12 ounce bottles, it sure works well with some soul foods of the deep south. ;)
  19. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (430) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

The bros are not infallable. They are BAs just like you and me and have their own preferences. While I have a lot of respect for their opinion and expertise I no longer put much weight in their reviews though I find them to be pretty fair for the most part. The only palate I really trust anymore is my own as even some BAs I really respect have called it wrong IMHO. I don't even trust the blended BA score, the same as I don't trust the electorate of our republic.
    hardy008, Jason and BleepBloopBlap like this.
  20. RandomBattle

RandomBattle Savant (265) New York Jun 25, 2010

Southampton IRS: 94 vs. 72. Wow. Interesting too because they named Southampton Brewpub of the Year (not sure of the year).
    PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  21. sirsteve42

sirsteve42 Advocate (545) New York Jan 15, 2009

I work in the South Bronx...plenty of malt liquor around these parts. If i were you id seek out cobra if you havent had it yet. 12% for a tallboy at 75 cents talk about bang for the buck or 75 cents in this case ;)
  22. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (395) California Dec 17, 2012

Most of the time I've seen a noticeable discrepancy between BA and Bros ratings, at least with beers I considered good, it's been attributed to the age of the review, and some of those beers have evolved in some way...
  23. Don't hate! Steel Reserve is awesome for what it is. Probably the best 40 on the market. I proudly drink this when I'm in the right mood for it. Easy to drink, gets you drunk, and can't beat that price.

This brew's got street cred man. You can't always drink the "high class" stuff.
  24. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

I know that the 100 point rating score for all the reviews is explained with the Bayesean thingamabob... (explained at the bottom).

But of course our scores translate as a 5 point rating scale. Not to hijack but how does a 75 translate into that 5 rating and vis versa, so if I have something rated at 2.77 what 100 point scale is this? Is it the same formula?

I am really bad at math... :)

Either way hey... Steel Reserve and Heady Topper man... gotta drink it from the can... coincidence? Think about it... ;)

I miss Rogue's malt liquor, that was a big surprise.
  25. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (695) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

Todd's review of Two Hearted suggests it was a bad bottle, possibly old. It happens. Plus, different people taste things differently. Plus some beers seem perfect at a particular time (the right food, the ideal temperature, etc) and less perfect at another time. It's not weird that the Bros' (or anyone's) review may sometimes be an outlier. When I turn to reviews to get others' impressions of a beer, I will look at reviews by Jason and Todd but I will also sort through the reviews of the top reviewers to get a strong overall picture.
    HumanParaquat likes this.
  26. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Savant (440) Maryland Oct 26, 2011

I as well thought that was a gigantic waste of a post.
    sergeantstogie likes this.
  27. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Everyone has different palates and ideas what is good and what isn't. Even the very best beers on BA willl always have some guy give it a 1.5. At least the bros' reviews are normally objective and honest, and they have trained palates and a wide range of descriptors. There are some highly rated beers out there that I too would give low scores to.
  28. I admit I have always been surprised at the amount of love the Bros give to Summit (example: Gold Sovereign, 100 -vs- 88). But, given the fact that they have been able to review almost all of the "unchained" series beers, I presume someone at Summit is Fedexing them fresh brews with each release.
  29. Jason

Jason Founder (1,300) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

I've emailed the brewery on many occasions from fest invites and getting review samples ... radio silence. Todd and I will be heading out to Grand Rapids and perhaps Chicago this year so I am sure we'll run into the beer.
  30. evilc

They're too cool for everybody, including their customers from what I've read.
    DaveHack likes this.

31. Well when i joined 10 years ago, it was to educate myself. Now its just to keep up with current beer news, and tell noobs like you to quit relying so heavily on the opinions of others
    PeterJ, hardy008, jasonmason and 2 others like this.
  32. Looking forward to having you here in Chi-Town!
  33. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

I think you're confusing wisdom with being a crotchety old man. ;) Kidding aside, everyone values the opinions of others differently. Nothing wrong with that.
    JG-90, hardy008 and Tballz420 like this.
  34. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (695) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

Of course, this quoted part is undeniable, but I find value in sharing opinions on sensory matters. I think it helps us refine our perceptions. Sometimes someone will mention a flavor that they taste but I failed to notice. Maybe it's because I wasn't looking for it, maybe its because I didn't let the beer warm up, etc. The next time I have the beer (the next sip or next pint), I can look out for it. Or sometimes, I taste something but I can't put a name on it, and someone's review will help me do that. And other times as your post suggests, someone's perceptions (i.e., the chemical reactions that connect taste to the brain) are so different from mine that we cannot learn anything from each other beyond the fact that there's something different going on between us.
  35. Who cares? Everyone has a different palate. Let everyone's reviews speak to that.
    Stevicus and chuckstout like this.
  36. I think that's a bit misleading. The bros each individually gave the beer (Westvleteren Blonde) a pretty high rating. They then gave a terrible review to a bottle that had been cellared for over 5 years.
    sergeantstogie likes this.
  37. You're right.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.