Comment Good BA rating, poor Bros rating

Discussion in 'Site' started by DCgolfpro, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have noticed up to about a year or two ago, there was a lot ot top rated beers they had not had, so maybe the "pool" still really was not that deep. I remember seeing the twitter feed on them finally getting a Founders care package. More(or less) input can definitely skew numbers like these. As stated earlier, there are also A LOT of Bros reviews that were ported in from reviews in the magazine from 2006 or whatever. Maybe we all need to go back and re-assess some of our reviews, said the guy who has no reviews.

HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  2. WadeBridgman

WadeBridgman Savant (265) Illinois Oct 18, 2013

I was really curious about their scores... For example Crooked Tree IPA gets an 89 from BA but a one-hundo from the Bros? Zombie Dust gets a 90 from the Bros (I more or less agree with that one) and they gave Parabola a 95 which I thought would have been higher... To each his own I suppose, whether the creator of BeerAdvocate or not.

3. The bros are two guys who have their own opinions on beers? Probably explains why their personal opinions differ from the herd mentality on some beers.

4. deschutes_fan

deschutes_fan Savant (350) Idaho Sep 24, 2013 Verified

wonothesane42 likes this.
  5. The thought ever cross your mind that he's RATING TO STYLE? I'm not agreeing with the score, but there's always a select few beers that define a certian beer style... You can't count on the demographic here to do so...just sayin'

6. Hendry

Hendry Advocate (500) Vermont Mar 8, 2013

Kern River Just Outstanding IPA got panned by the Bros: 94 BA rating and they gave it an 83?

7. I love that stuff. What surprises me is the story about it being one of the rarest beers in the world when I saw it all over the place in Japan.

8. deschutes_fan

deschutes_fan Savant (350) Idaho Sep 24, 2013 Verified

The reviews being from 2001/2002 time do make you wonder how far that score would change with a 2014 review, considering how much beer and barrel-aged beer has evolved since then

9. gmendez1122

gmendez1122 Savant (380) Illinois Feb 7, 2013

will i get my own thread for all the beers that i rated that werent close the the average rating?

Biff_Tannen likes this.
  10. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (370) California Feb 14, 2011

I think that some people like some beer more than others. And also sometimes some people like beers less than others. The world is quite mad!

Biff_Tannen likes this.
  11. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (370) California Feb 14, 2011

What I do find interesting is that the way they talk about beer is now the norm. You read their reviews from 10 or 12 years ago while the majority of people thought that beers such as Newcastle were something new and exciting, they were discussing beer in a similar fashion to the way many of us discuss it now. They were ahead of the curve and continue to run the best website about beer that I know of

12. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (925) Finland Aug 15, 2010

I'm in line ahead of you, buddy!

13. Certainly not the most complex beer but I think it's quality. Plus I'm a sucker for that syrup-like flavour profile.

14. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (430) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

I completely agree with Bros on Sucks. A 97 score is ridiculous IMO.

15. That was the one which popped into my mind when I read the thread title because I was just checking that category a few days ago and noticed it--and I agree with the Bros 100%,

That of course is one of those bias confirmation things, which I can go comp,etely the other way on with, say, Two-hearted..where the Bros low rating doesn't sway me in the least.. It's like, "huh, no accounting for taste" when that happens, vs "see! I knew it!" when they go my way.

EDIT: just checked Two-Hearted and there's just one Bros review, Jason's 4.1/92 ...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    drtth likes this.
  16. WadeBridgman

WadeBridgman Savant (265) Illinois Oct 18, 2013

I think you missed the point of my post, please refer back to it if you have any questions :rolleyes:

17. Todd

Todd Founder (1,700) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member Verified Subscriber

BREAKING: We have our own palates and we're not zombies; meaning we don't drink beer aimlessly and try to ensure our opinions are in line with others.

(PS - I do like some brains from time to time though; especially with some organic Sriracha, but only hand-crafted by Thai monks. Can't speak for @Jason on this; that whole not being a zombie thing. Oh, and where's the thread on "poor BA rating, good Bros rating"? Really, what were some of you fucking thinking!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.