Dismiss Notice
Sneak peek! BeerAdvocate magazine #104 (September 2015) featuring Leah & Oscar from Highland Brewing in Asheville, North Carolina. Learn more ...

Good Beer Bars in Brisbane?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Shmeal, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (565) Oregon Nov 9, 2009 Verified

Hey, one of my friends that lives in Brisbane just moved back there after spending 3 months in Portland, Oregon and is desperate for some good brew down there. Any good places that you guys can recommend for him?

2. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (655) Australia Dec 29, 2006 Verified

I haven't been, so can't vouch for them. But I've heard Scratch bar; Archive and The London Club could be worth checking out.

Edit: add in Bitter Suite

3. Lukie

Lukie Savant (435) Australia Jun 16, 2007

The guy who used to run Nectar mentioned that Scratch is becoming a lot better then Archive.

4. ALEBOY

ALEBOY Savant (325) Australia May 31, 2003

The Scratch for absolute sure (Park Rd, Milton)
    Only small, only 4 taps, but by far one of the best beer bars in the country.
    Archive, Bittersuite, Yard Birds to mention a few and heaps more popping up over the next few months

5. I must really go to this 'the Scratch'...but say what measures do they use for their small and large offerings?

6. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (565) Oregon Nov 9, 2009 Verified

My friend checked out Scratch and liked it! He also heard that they will be offering sours soon to boot

7. Arassuil

Arassuil Aficionado (110) Australia Jan 21, 2008

There is several good bars popping up around the city. The Archive still has a good rotation of great brews, and they fill growlers now on Wednesday to Sunday from the six Next Door taps. I find it best to go in the afternoons as its a bit quieter and mellower. It can get rather crowded later. Scratch has a great rotating 4 taps and are pretty good at keeping their current offerings posted on facebook. Another favourite of mine is Bitter Suite as they keep an interesting series of brews going through their taps. The Yardbird is good for food and the $5 schooners of the Coopers/Little Creatures/Burleigh range (on Sunday). Other nice little bars around town are the Hideaway, Kerbside, The Burrow, Super Whatnot, and I hear the downstairs bar of the Tank Hotel on Queen Street will be opening soon (Underbelly). And of course there is the Brisbane Brewhouse 2.0, 5th Element, German Club, Belgian Beer Cafe, Bavarian Beer Cafe, Pig & Whistle Riverside, and .... The End. It isn't Seattle Washington or Portland Oregon, but it getting much better by the week it seems!

8. Walked past the Pig & Whistle the other day...do they have a decent offering? Any English ales on tap?