Good beer bars in Perth Metro area

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by LittleCreature, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Same question as on the other thread, but this time I want to know if there are any good beer bars, pubs or even restaurants with a good selection of craft beer in the Perth metro area. Again, I have a list and want to know if you know of anywhere I have missed out and need to check out, please let me know.

Belgian Beer Cafe

Clancy’s Fish Pub Canning Bridge

Clancy’s Fish Bar City Beach

Clancy’s Fish Pub Fremantle

Cottesloe Beach Hotel

Elizabethan Village Pub

Five Bar

J.B.O’Reilly’s

Mash Brasserie Rockingham

Moondyne Joe’s

Ocean Beach Hotel

Queens Tavern

Sail & Anchor Hotel

The Best Drop Tavern

The Brass Monkey Hotel

The Flying Scotsman

The Last Drop Tavern Warnbro

The Norfolk Hotel

The Paddo

The Quarie

While I have been to all of these places at least once, I would also like to know if there are any you believe are not deserving of being mentioned with the rest. For example, if a venue has James Squire beers on tap, Little Creatures in bottles and nothing else crafty, I would not consider them worthy of inclusion.

2. sorry i can't help with this one. i always thought it odd that we have (possibly) the best beers stores in aus but the worst bar scene for craft beer?

outside of freo, the best places to drink craft beer in perth are BYO restaurants

but you have to add venn bar in the city... lots of murrays, ferals, two birds, really good aussie bottled list and lots of choice, at least a dozen that any craft beer nut would be happy to drink

how much range do you need to quality? rockpool restaurant in burswood has SNPA, chimney blue 330s, some others... good stuff but not heaps of choice. same with amuse, i think 1907 bar too.

i guess you're excluding breweries in this list e.g. the old brewery?

3. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

The Craftsman at Carousel has Dogbolter and Alpha Pale Ale on tap all the time. One of the only places left with both, I believe.

Everything else is garbage though.

4. dansmcd

dansmcd Savant (435) Australia Dec 19, 2010

The Moon and Sixpence isn't too bad for English ales. Last time I was there they had Abbot Ale, Old Speckled Hen, Marstons Pedigree, Belhaven Twisted Thistle, Hobgoblin, with a couple of Weihenstephaners, all on tap. No Aussie craft though.

5. Lukie

I should mention the Adelphi Steakhouse. Hop Hog on tap, with handpump for Doombar, and 2 taps for Weihenstephaner.

6. Doombar, awesome!! Brings me back when I was handpumping that stuff over in London :)

7. although its a brewery, the monk in steo would be worth inclusion as it does have beers other than its own from time to time... e.g. last years game-changing usa beer week (that turned into usa beer winter - f. yes)

they're currently showcasing a bunch of different beers from around the world, all bottled, but all definitely qualifying as craft

8. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

The Ocean Beach Hotel:
    From The Tap
    James Squire Golden Ale
    Stella
    Becks
    Bees Neez
    Heineken
    Pure Blonde
    Redback
    Coopers Sparkling Ale
    Little Creatures Pale Ale
    Swan Draught
    Tooheys New
    Tooheys Old
    Carlton Draught
    Victoria Bitter
    Emu Bitter
    Hahn Premium Light
    XXXX Gold
    Carlton Midstrength
    Bundy & Cola Draught
    The Best Drop Tavern:On Tap at the Best Drop

Bulmers Cider 4.7% $9.0/pint $5.0/middy
    Carlton Draught 4.6% $8.5/pint $4.5/middy
    Carlton Dry 4.5% $9.0/pint $4.8/middy
    Carlton Midstrength 3.5% $7.8/pint $4.0/middy
    Fat Yak Pale Ale 4.7% $9.8/pint $5.0/middy
    Guinness 4.2% $8.5/pint $4.5/middy
    Kilkenny 4.3% $8.5/pint $4.5/middy
    Last Drop Pilsner 4.8% $9.5/pint $5.0/middy
    Little Creatures Rogers’ 3.8% $8.5/pint $4.5/middy
    Pure Blonde 4.6% $9.0/pint $4.8/middy
    P. Blonde White (Wheat) 4.6% $9.0/pint $5.0/middy
    Stella Artois 5.0% $9.8/pint $5.0/middy

I will leave you to make your own decisions about craft beer support.

9. MordeciaFunk

Monk V. good. I also like the idea of including the Monk for the idea of supporting the terrior of beers. I do think it should be an important part of our craft beer society. If you're visiting Fremantle drink Monk or Creatures, Sydney Murray's or Rocks. What's the point of visitng new places if you're not going to sample everything that makes it unique.

10. I pity these two tap lists :(

11. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (190) Australia Jul 9, 2008

rockpool bar burswood hasome craft on tap and a bigger bottle range tan most

12. Thanks for the replies - much appreciated!

13. foles

foles Savant (420) Australia Jan 28, 2007

If this is going in book or something - I wouldn't include places with overpriced, stale bottles of otherwise good beers. Especially when the beers are stocked to contribute to the trendy image of the place, but in fact nobody drinks them and the staff have no idea about them. This will make your list look like just another tourist guide. IMO the only true craft beer destinations in Perth/Freo that aren't breweries are:

Clancys Freo (Wasnt impressed by the Applecross venue, and havent been to City Beach)
    Sail and Anchor
    Belgian Beer Cafe
    The Tap at Chapel Farm (just)

Sure there are good pubs (Queens, Norfolk, Brass Monkey, Adelphi) with decent beers on tap and served with care, but that should be part of a different list. Maybe a "Good Beer Guide" of sorts. I think it should be more about the attitude and quality / freshness of beer than just the list. I'd rather a place with 5 top notch beers in great condition, than a massive list of mostly stale/oxidised bottles and dirty lines.

14. Lukie

Funky Mordecai, can you please get in 5 kegs of Feral Berliner Weisse, so I can come and drink them all at the Sail.

Notice the lack of question mark, as I was not asking ;)

15. lukie -- there's a berliner weiss at feral in the valley at the moment?

16. MordeciaFunk

Come and drink all the American stuff we have so I have room to put it. Leave the Beer Rep Stout, East End Black Strap and Rasputin though. They're mine.

17. Lukie

I'm not sure if it's been released yet, Andrew. It will be though! AT SOME POINT!

And Funky dude, I will have those on for growlers at some point, so that's fine, just not the Berliner Weisse :(

18. MordeciaFunk

I will do my best, but between finishing off the US stuff in April, the Nogne-o stuff in May, 476 stouts and porters coming in for the June winter beer showcase and 27 kegs of Italian beer coming in after that, I might not have a tap point for it.

Take Andrew on a 'date' to Feral. That way you can drink more then 5 kegs. You can drink all that Brendan has.

EDIT: I've also got 4 kegs of Lind. Gueuze to get rid of too. When are you going to come in and drink that?

P.S I have a Cantillion poster I have no need for. Do you want it?

19. Hey Mordecia 476 stouts and porters sounds like my type of winter.

20. MordeciaFunk

Lukie: It will be on mid-May-ish. I hope you're happy.

Hopswiller: It's my type of winter too. That's why we're doing it.

21. Lukie

Can you please keep all of it for me, and just have a tube going from all the kegs directly into my mouth?

22. Roll on June then. Hey Mordecia get the kitchen to chuck shanks on the menu
    and then I can con the missus into 'lunch' in freo.
    It worked Aus day with the crayfish and bridge road saison.