1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Good Beer for Guests

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tkdchampxi, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Do you only serve good beer to guests, even if they do not know about craft beer?

If not, do you keep cheap or bad beer around (beer that your wouldn't normally drink), so you have something to serve to non-beer-aficionados?

And if you do keep bad beer around, what do you keep?

People bring over crappy beer sometimes and leave it. I usually serve whatever that is to people who don't know anything about beer. Usually, it's Yuengling, although I have some Hoegaarden, Ace Apple Cider, and Shock Top in my fridge for serving right now, too
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2013
  2. I keep what I like to drink in the fridge. My friends that drink BMC will bring their own - and they know I don't like that crap in my house.
    dedbeer, GuitarIPA, solo103 and 5 others like this.
  3. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

Is your house a free bar? I offer guests ICE tea and water and MAYBE soda, but beer costs serious money now days.
    Not to mention MY real friends know my tastes and if they want to drink and its NOT a party, they know if they want beer they need to bring it period.

Also even dinner guests KNOW to bring a bottle of wine, its just common gift you bring.

IF its a real party where its a free for all then of course I would supply the BMC in a keg outside. it usually BY my horseshoe Track.

a Homebrew party now its a thing where I invite other HB folks to share.

IE I do not buy friends, you never know who is real.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    APBT91 likes this.
  4. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (340) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

Uhm... Well, if I know and like people well enough to invite them into my home to visit then they're free to my beer save for some of my harder to come by bottles. Isn't that part of hosting people in your home?
  5. azorie

in the old days when i was young and stupid i would let folks come over and have at it. Then after a while you notice many show up and and never offer their place to hang out and drink their free beer. Not to mention how many would show up for other free things.:D

bottom line if you want to host a free beer house, that is your biz. If you friends reciprocate evenly, THEN great. I also seemed to get the moochers....
  6. wow, you don't seem cheap at all.
    are you a separate checks kinda guy?
  7. Preluderl

Just sounds to me like you have douche bag friends. Maybe you need to be choosing your company more wisely.
    DWheeler379, jdaddy and irv2424 like this.
  8. azorie

no I have great friends NOW. lol
  9. azorie

yep and why not. do you like paying ALL the time?

I let you buy my lunch every week if want to....
  10. Infinite1

Infinite1 Savant (310) Illinois Jul 2, 2010

I keep Coors light and Miller Lite around for the dweebs that don't drink good beer
    Treezilla likes this.
  11. Allagash White or North Coast Pranqster.
    tkdchampxi likes this.
  12. When I'm expecting guests, I have some SNPA around. It's take it or leave it. If there's any left, it's no problem since it's my go to beer. If I know someone enjoys craft beer, I'll ask them if they would like to try something else. And if someone brings their own BMC, it either gets finished, goes home with them or gets drain poured.
  13. Iamstryker

Iamstryker Savant (290) New Jersey Aug 11, 2012

When I know I'm going to have a good amount of people over (usually poker), I'll get a keg of a pilsner of some sort. I supply the beer, they supply the food.

Last couple games it's been requested to change to an IPA (from those that were strictly BMC before). I like to think I'm having an effect on people.
  14. Preluderl

I guess it just depends on the company you keep. My friends are welcome to my beer and I know that they'll reciprocate in one way or another.
  15. azorie

Real friends versus friends and folks you do not even know show up and drink all your beer and hey maybe even find your stash. then what? IT happens a few times and IT Gets OLD fast. experience it and then get back to me.:eek::(
  16. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Savant (370) Florida Dec 31, 2006

SNPA

Perfect for ALL occasions.
    surfcaster and rather like this.
  17. Preluderl

That's my point... My friends wouldn't go into my stash without asking nor would they bring people who would do so.
    schteve and DWheeler379 like this.
  18. If I invite someone over I usually buy what they like. If they stop by unannounced they drink what I have. I can drink almost anything, especially mildly flavored bmc stuff. I don't usually keep it around minus a 30 pack of light beer in the summer, I occasionally like one when it's hot out.
  19. azorie

good deal I had to weed out the fake ones over the years....
  20. Yup, I make sure to keep some Sleeman in the fridge....Original Draught, Honey Brown Lager, and Cream Ale. Relatively cheap, more flavour than most Canadian macros, and something I don't mind drinking. My friends are generally Coors Light kinda drinkers with no interest in sharing a craft stout or Belgian....since I don't like to drink something different than what I am serving guests, Sleeman seems to keep everybody happy, including me.
  21. no ONE likes paying ALL the TIME. You MAY have some firends who JUST love TO MOOCH off others. While I don't expect IT, normally generosity gets reciprocated AT some POINT. It's sounds like ITS time to get new friends BECAUSE the ones you have ARE broken.
  22. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

I don't have people over.
  23. I usually grab a 12 of the freshest SN they have at the store. It's cheap enough and it's still delicious.
  24. azorie

wow you did not get it did you? no I solved that problem LONG AGO.

MY friends and they are true real friends who will do anything for me, know we are not doing that great money wise. If you DID NOT get the point that offering free beer all the time, will cause problems then I am sorry. I was NOT complaining about ANY current line up of GUESTS!

GIVE AWAY ALL THE FREE YOU WANT TO, its your money..... how you like the caps.lol

sarcasm some just do not get it.:D
  25. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (595) California Dec 15, 2012

I've learned not to try and change my friends' tastes in beers. I offer what I like to drink, but I also buy what they like as well, usually Bud Lights and Heinekens.
  26. The people getting heated in this thread sound ridiculous. My beer ONLY 4 DA tru homies cuz U NEVR KNO who IS da Real OG.
  27. I usually stick with some New Glarus sixers for people that don't like beer as much I do. They're unoffensive, and I don't mind drinking them.
    dhannes and azorie like this.
  28. try some german beers. Everyone likes a good dunkel, pils or hefe
    jRocco2021 and azorie like this.
  29. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Good choice. I've found that my mostly macro drinking family/friends also like Reds.
    tkdchampxi likes this.
  30. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

I'll usually have a mild craft beer on hand such as a non-Belgian blonde. I always have good domestic pilsners on hand (Victory, Summit, Bent Paddle, Schell's) as I have a good friend who swears by Pilsner Urquell. I also buy a sixer of Miller Lite about once per year for the "ladies".
  31. Infinite1

Infinite1 Savant (310) Illinois Jul 2, 2010

My friends who actually like good beer bring their own
    Leebo, djl9701 and azorie like this.
  32. yasky

yasky Aficionado (215) New York Dec 21, 2008

I have had the horror of coming back from work and seeing a bunch of empty Schneider Mein Nelson Sauvin bottles in our recycling bin and a bunch of my wifes friends singing drunken karaoke.

I now keep some Pilsner, usually Troegs Sunshine or sly Fox Pikeland in the fridge to ensure that my cellar won't be raided by a gaggle of Wegmans workers looking to get their buzz on.
    ToriBug13, Hermthegerm and tkdchampxi like this.
  33. APBT91

APBT91 Savant (300) North Carolina Apr 12, 2013

everyone i ever gave a weihenstephaner hefe to loved it.
  34. I think it's not bad practice to keep a six pack each of pale ale and brown ale/porter/stout on hand for guests if you have the space. Same reason I try to generally have a bottle of white and red on hand as well, even though seems like half the time it's family and they just ask for ice water or it's my friends and they bring their own.
  35. Sam Adams seasonal mix packs and some Blue Moon. Seems to make everyone happy.
    BruChef likes this.
  36. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

If you are worried that won't like it, serve a good and tasty lager like brooklyn lager, sly fox helles lager, or jacks abby jabby brau. A nice pils is good for people who don't usually drink craft like prima pils, sly fox pikeland pils or even great lakes the wright pils.

If you are worried that they will drink it all then go with what you know you can afford in the quantity that you are predicting.
  37. Most of my friends are afraid to drive to the city.
    APBT91 likes this.
  38. sharkman0485

sharkman0485 Zealot (95) Ohio Mar 11, 2008

Cheap beer I usually keep is Milwaukees best light
  39. dhannes

dhannes Savant (360) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

My one sister-in-law is into craft, but the other one only drinks Miller Lite...my brother says she'll drink Great Dane's Landmark Lite, so I'm going to go that route for her and my brother.

To expand on your question, I would currently buy something that I'd like that I think would be mainstream enough for them...probably Third Shift Amber Lager and something more mainstream...around here, that could be Hamm's or Rhinelander.
  40. I share what I've got on hand - usually 2-3 home brews and some commercial stuff. What I tend to brew is pretty straightforward and inoffensive, so that's a good middle ground. I don't have many friends that are dedicated BMC drinkers anyway. Otherwise, if it's going to be an especially large crowd, 1-2 12s of SNPA does the trick.

Some of it stays out of site (BCBS, Olde School, etc), but even that I'll break into now and then if it's just one or two other people.

Give freely. People's enjoyment adds to your own.
    cnbrown313, Mongrel and davemathews68 like this.