1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Good Beer for Guests

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tkdchampxi, Nov 8, 2013.

1. My good beer is displayed prominently in my living room in a beer cabinet I built for that purpose. I don't worry about people trying to drink my good stuff, though cause it isn't kept at drinking temperatures.

I usually keep something by SN in the fridge for myself and the fiancee to drink on a regular basis. I also usually keep at least one thing cold that I know I can serve to more discerning beer drinkers (right now, I have some Heady Topper). Finally, I always keep some OTHER beer on hand (Yuengling and Hoegaarden, right now, as I shared earlier), because, even though I only invite people I trust over, not everyone I invite is a craft beer drinker.
  2. haknort

haknort Savant (265) Illinois Apr 10, 2013

My house is a "what do you want to try?" house. Nothing is off limits. I like it that way, and never expect anything in return. I think good beer should be shared, not squandered. It's a communal experience.

I've brought many a first-time IP trader over to my house, and then opened whalez. Why not? Share rare beer with the few who appreciate it. Or else live like Scrooge McDuck and swim alone in your room of gold coins.

Life is short, and so is beer. Enjoy both.
    tommyguz, brikelly, dianimal and 10 others like this.
  3. But what about those who don't enjoy good beer. Do you bother to keep OTHER beer around for those individuals? No worries if you don't. Just wondering.

Also... How short is beer exactly?
  4. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (590) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

I have univeral beer nerd pals, BMC pals and picky beer nerd pals (hate BMC but like only specific craft styles and hate others). Beer nerd friends I provide full pours as I know they will always drink whatever is in front of them. BMC drinkers I stopped offerring my craft beer samples unless they ask, then I always give them a baby-sampler pour to see if they like it first. Same for my 1 selective/finicky craft drinkers whom only like Belgian Ales and German beers. He's wasted many good beers leaving them on the table undrinken. Basically if it has American hops in it, it hates it and leaves it mostly undrunken and wasted. I've learned how to be a hospitable host without wasting beer.
    tkdchampxi likes this.
  5. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (590) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

Also, if my usually crowd of pals comes over, I tell them what beers I have to provide (sometimes I'm well stocked and sometimes its thin pickin's) and if that isn't what they want then I tell them to bring their own.
  6. haknort

haknort Savant (265) Illinois Apr 10, 2013

Do I keep beer around for individuals who don't understand the difference between average beer and good beer? No. I teach those people what good beer is by serving them good beer and explaining why it is good. I'm thankful to have a quality of friends that understand and appreciate the difference.

As for beer being short, with the exception of some beers that can last for decades, most have a shelf life. Today so far, with friends, I've had a Morning Delight, Silver Jubilee, 2007 GI Imperial IPA, Chasin Freshies, and Dos Osos.

The Chasin Freshies, as named, has a short shelf life. The 2007 was waaaay past its prime, but was probably one of the last ones left in the world, has been refrigerated since purchase, and was worth sharing. Morning Delight could have aged another 20 years, but who knows if I'll be around in 20 years?
    Spinaltapped likes this.
  7. bjmh

bjmh Aficionado (135) Ohio Sep 9, 2012

I try to keep a few GL Dortmunder Gold, or even a few Sam Adams Boston Lagers for beer drinkers who don't, or probably wouldn't, like the hop bitterness of an IPA, or even an APA like SN Pale Ale. My go to beers for myself are SN Pale Ale, Torpedo, and Edmund Fitzgerald. Right now the beer fridge is full of SNPA, SN Celebration, and a few Dortmunders. I'll go back to Torpedo when the Celebration is no longer available. Was drinking a good bit of SN Tumbler this year (sheds a tear), and offered it to guests. It was well received.

Bob
  8. smanders

smanders Savant (390) Virginia Apr 22, 2006

I only invite the people I truly enjoy being with to my home. If you've made it that far; "mi casa, su casa."
    deadliest, facesnorth and haknort like this.
  9. I want my guests to feel comfortable and enjoy themselves; if they only enjoy certain types of beer, then I will try to get something that I wouldn't mind having left over as well. The last time with a big crowd I got a bunch of St Paulie Girl as well as SABL- the guests even pretty much felt like they were drinking the 'good stuff' that afternoon. And I did get to enjoy the remains afterward, so that one was a win-win.
    surfcaster likes this.
  10. If I know macro drinkers are coming over I'll be sure to have some Narragansett on hand. Most guests that come to my place drink good craft though. Every craft beer I have is available to whomever wants it. Not sharing it goes against what I think beer is all about, community.
    Dools9 likes this.
  11. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Good suggestion.

After a recent soiree at my place involving a not particularly beer-conscious crowd, I checked the leftovers and found that of all the beer we'd had on hand, the Weihenstephaner Original helles proved to be the go-to. Which is to say there was none left. Made me want one.

To the OP: I get something good and clean and fairly low-ABV for parties if the crowd's not all into beer, like the German varieties cited above.
  12. I just keep a variety of beers in the garage fridge(outside), its a lot easier that way...I have the Coors light/Rolling Rock friends, the Heineken/Corona friends, and the Sam Adams/Sn/Lagunitas friends. Most just know to bring beer over to keep the fridge stocked. I also have the High ABV friends, those are the ones you have to watch though...And then we have the fridge in the basement stocked with various varieties, I break them out when I want . Overall the way I look at it, if they don't like whats in the fridge, the store is up the block...
  13. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

Any beer I'm drinking is good for my guests too.
    smanders, dianimal and davemathews68 like this.
  14. bahnfire

bahnfire Savant (465) Vermont Jan 17, 2011

The only beer I keep on hand that I like. Beer is expensive enough I don't need to worry about buying beer I don't like. I usually have a couple 4packs of heady and some assortment of saisons and sours that are for anyone who wants to partake. I thoroughly enjoy opening a bottle of Arthur or something similar with anyone who wants to try it. Most folks around here don't turn down heady either. If folks do want something other than what I usually have I let them know they are welcomes to bring whatever they like.
  15. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

If you're asking "do I keep Miller Lite in my fridge, just in case some random non-craft beer drinking friend shows up at the door and looks thirsty?" No. If we're having a cookout or a party, I'll buy something accessible like Dortmunder Gold or Oberon, and I'm always willing to share anything I've got chilled.
    Hockey_Fan likes this.
  16. Personally I always serve my home brews or bring them when I attend a large get together. It's always fun to brew up a low abv PA or any other easy drinking session beer and have people enjoy it.
  17. basscram

basscram Savant (355) Florida Mar 29, 2006

I serve them my homebrew and they love it. I usually have some Weihanstephaner around lately.
  18. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Wisconsin Apr 14, 2013

How dare you insult yuengling in such a manner
  19. I admit that I am most likely a little older than the average poster on this site at 42. That being said I host a charity poker game every year and part of my contribution to the event is supplying the beer. I am a home brewer and normally have four taps of various brews. I always bought some BMC for the masses but at the end of the night I had it left and the homebrew and craft beer were the ones chosen. Last year I replaced the BMC with Walt Wit and Allagash White and people loved it. Also went to a 40 b-day party for my buddy who is a craft beer guy and he bought kegs of 60 minute, Allagash white and Miller lite. The only thing left was the Miller.

I have found people like better beer if they are given an option.
    Mongrel and surfcaster like this.
  20. I am not certain that qualifies as beer.;)
    smanders likes this.
  21. deaner269

deaner269 Disciple (65) Michigan Jul 14, 2012

Hasn't anyone had a friend or neighbor show up and you ask if they would like a beer. That is the essence of the question. Why always make this question something it's not. I keep some Sam Adams Boston, Labatt's, etc.
  22. I really hope that was a joke because otherwise you just came across as the worst ass ever. When it gets to drinking time today I will drown that comment out with some Hill Farmstead and Crooked Stave.
    dianimal likes this.
  23. No offense but a few of you sound like douches. My hope is that you're just too young and cheap to know better though. Hoarding beer from your guests would make you a pretty shitty host in my book. I always offer what's in the fridge, which generally includes some good but not mind blowing beers (Torpedo or other SN, basic Founders, etc), and also I have a fridge drawer full of cheap crap that other people bring and leave (bud, cider, corona). More often than not, guests opt for the drawer, but I'd never hide the good stuff. On the other hand, I'm not usually taking people out to the beer fridge to view the whalez, but if I were to crack one, they'd certainly be offered a pour. Sharing is more fun than hoarding. I highly recommend it.
    tkdchampxi and dianimal like this.
  24. lester619

lester619 Savant (325) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

Cheap bastards. Seriously though, I give my friends whatever garbage I can find in the back of the fridge too. It's just common sense.
  25. TomTown

TomTown Savant (335) Oregon Feb 7, 2011

I don't understand how some of you hoarders are calling yourselves "beer advocates." No one is "not good enough" for whatever is in your "cellar" if you're comfortable having them in your home. Obviously someone who only drinks "lite beer" isn't going to like BCBS and that's a matter of taste, but I love sharing beer with interested folks that may be stepping a little out of their comfort zone.

Share the love, people! :)
  26. RaggaD

RaggaD Savant (345) Florida Jun 29, 2013

Honestly I don't really keep anything in the fridge that I won't drink myself. I'm willing to share whatever is on hand but if you want to drink BMC then your going to have to bring your own.
    Mongrel likes this.
  27. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

being on BA does Not make use all conform, lol its the BROS saying NOT mine. Share all you want to, just do not get burned, it hurts. i barely have enough beer day to day.
    utopiajane likes this.
  28. Jack's Abby session beers such as Leisure Time Lager and Jabby Brau work well. Brooklyn Lager is an excellent introduction to craft beer. In general, easy to drink craft lagers are good beers for guests who aren't familiar with craft beers.
  29. TomTown

What do you mean by getting burned? Opened a bottle that someone didn't like?
  30. TomTown

This right here. Totally agree.
  31. azorie

well the problem with this whole post is defining WHO a friend is. or just a visitor. or a friend of a friend, or a work mate. A true real friend no issues, though 1 burnt me, long ago.

its cool if you go to their house and you both share, what I was talking about is the 1 way deal. where everyone always comes to your house. But hey some enjoy that.
    Some like to be big spenders and impress everyone. Me I like things to be equal....
    Some us do not to be the free beer house is all...YMMV.

I have HB tastings, its all equal.

if the Op just wanted cheap beer listings I can dig all that...
  32. TomTown

So by "burned" you're referring to someone who kept coming over only to drink your beer?
  33. azorie

well and other things. lol
  34. lester619

lester619 Savant (325) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

Such as?
  35. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

My guests can partake of their choice from whatever they find in my DBF! I stock it with Craft Beer, Artisanal Beer from foreign lands, and even bland and boring swill-product produced by evil corporations bent on world destruction and/or sponsoring bicycle polo events.

If they are teetotal, I can offer the Fair Trade beans in the cupboard which I grind by hand...
    BanditoJunkie and facesnorth like this.
  36. azorie

well they smoked allot. that get you the hint. :D
  37. Any I bought to try and didn't like:D.
  38. I don't know man, drunk people do some things they normally wouldn't.
  39. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

Yes. If you are hosting and providing food and beer, then the beer that is "yours" is not hoarded beer. It's just not what is designated for this party's consumption. You are entertaining guests? Feeding them, filling glasses over and over throughout a night? You deserve not to go broke for that and you do get to keep you precious "hoard stash" for your personal enjoyment. (imho)
  40. dubinsky

dubinsky Savant (330) California Sep 16, 2009

I was at work late last night and my wife had the inlaws over for dinner. They wanted a beer so she reached into the fridge and grabbed a beer she thought I had plenty of and wouldn't mind sharing. Well, it was a 2009 Bigfoot, the only one I had for a vertical. She said "they all look the same". Lesson I learned was to have a guest beer always available. Oh, and they hated it and dumped it. Too strong :(