1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Good Beer for Guests

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tkdchampxi, Nov 8, 2013.

1. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

Lol it only took 28 post for someone to give genuine advice.

Must be part of the new update.

dianimal and tkdchampxi like this.
  2. DrankIT

DrankIT Aficionado (130) New York Jun 13, 2013

What he said

3. Boston lager is a good guest beer- for people that don't kno about beer at leat they've seen commercials on tv and it's actually good stuff! Even tho in LA we consider Boston out rival! I love Boston beer company

4. All of my good friends like craft, and I almost always have some affordable craft on hand. They're welcome to drink it when they're over. I tend to be pretty generous when it comes to that sort of thing.

5. These aren't bad beers, but this isn't what I want for a party or holidays. If your going to serve German beers go with Dopple and Eis bocks.

6. cyde

cyde Savant (320) Texas Feb 12, 2012

My dad likes Bud Lite, so I'll pick up a case whenever he visits from out of state. Otherwise I'll pick up a case of Hops & Grain the One They Call Zoe (local pale lager) that craft drinkers and BMC crews both enjoy.

7. That's really tragic, man. That's really too bad. My fiancee loves beer like me, and she is nearly as knowledgeable about my stash as I am.

Also, my system is that, if it's in the kitchen fridge, it's fine to serve to anyone.

8. Mongrel

Mongrel Savant (405) Maryland Feb 14, 2013

I don't buy bad beer. I just don't. That said, I might try to buy a sixer of a more universally enjoyed beer like SNPA when we have friends coming over. If they don't dig it, or whatever other great beers are in my fridge, we always have plenty of wine on hand. I want my guests to have a great time, so I really hope they enjoy my beers and I'll usually not hide/hoard anything unless it's in my cellar. Those I'll reserve for my fellow beer nerd friends.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    tkdchampxi and utopiajane like this.
  9. I usually give them homebrew. If not that, then I'll keep Yeungling in my fridge as a "decoy beer" as a recognizeable beer so that no one takes anything special. If anyone wants to try what I'm drinking, I'll pour them a small sampler and give them a full one if they like it.

10. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

Most of the people I / we invite over know enough that they;'ll ask before grabbing anything. That said, my really good stuff / cellaring stuff is... in the cellar. No one would go down there and just randomly grab something out of it.
    If I had something good upstairs, and someone wanted to try it, I suppose I'd open it, as long as I thought they'd appreciate it. If I wasn't sure, I'd pour a taste first, and then a larger if they liked it.
    I do keep some daily drinker stuff around for most people who come over - that's what they'll drink.

11. rgordon

rgordon Savant (370) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

Depends on who the quests are: I generally know any quest that I may have well enough to have an assortment on hand to cover most eventualities. On the other hand, one could keep choice beer bottles, wash them and refill with bud Light and recap- like Nixon used to refill Chateau Margaux bottles with Chateau Nomargaux. Well, maybe just a prank would be funny, maybe. "Damn, I like this Stone IPA, ain't too bitter!"

12. sharkman0485

sharkman0485 Zealot (95) Ohio Mar 11, 2008

ha. there are definitely worse cheap beers out there, trust me i have had them and they were not even drinkable. MBL is like miller. Worst cheap beer i have ever had was "Beer 30" and it was $10 for a 30 pack.

13. 9uns

9uns Aficionado (180) California Jun 5, 2013

Guiness, BMC variations, SNPA.

14. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

I have to kinds of friends: those who drink the same stuff I do, and those who don't drink any alcohol at all. I don't actually have any friends who drink beer other than the stuff I normally buy (which I promise is a coincidence). So it makes hosting pretty easy - my fridge is open to my friends without feeling obligated to get something just for them.

15. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

Dirty thirty of Strohs for the inlaws whenever we host.

16. Its holiday time, and we have friends over for dinner every year. This year, I have stocked things with Chimays (blue, blanc and rouge), Lagunitas (Sumpin Sumpin and Sumpin Wild), and some nice Quebec beers.

I also keep some Guinness and Sam Adams on hand for the less adventuresome.

I have no problem sharing good beer, and try to make it a habit actually.

dianimal likes this.
  17. Try to keep a case of Goose Island Variety around...relatively cheap...my customers have said it has good crossover appeal. The IPA is mild enough for craft newcomers but just good enough for craft drinkers, the 312 is liked by BMC drinkers in general and the Honker's is pretty tasty to all...but when push comes to shove...share away life is too short...

18. I almost always have odds & ends home-brews leftover that I share when guests come. Usually though, my friends bring over some BMCs for themselves and I stick to a bomber of something tasty.

19. A good middle-of-the road Amber can be a good "Crowd" beer.

20. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

I side with the group willing to share. I'm the kind of person who gets just as much enjoyment out of my guests trying a new beer, as I do drinking it myself. My beer fridge is open to anyone.

If I'm having a party where a bunch of older family members come over, I'll definitely buy some BMC because that's what they like. I'm not going to make them drink craft simply because that's what I drink.

As far as the cellar goes, if I open it, anyone can have some. If you're a beer friend and walking around in my cellar with me and are interested in something, there's a good chance it will be opened. BMC drinkers don't really look down there because they have no interest in it. Like me looking at someone's collection of fancy purses, I don't give a crap.

21. Spinaltapped

Spinaltapped Aficionado (195) Iowa Oct 24, 2013

I have three separate beer shelves in my houses' fridge.

The top one is essentially a 'go for it' shelf. My roommates and friends are free to drink the beer on this shelf as long as they buy beer next time. Big breweries and beer I get on a good discount go here.

The second one is a 'replace it with equal or better quality' shelf. This is where most of my beer goes. Six and four packs of beers like Celebration or Two Hearted or most Boulevard beers go. Nothing rare but good beer none the less. Roommates and friends can drink the beer only if they replace the beer with something of similar quality.

The bottom shelf is my shelf. Bombers and specialty beers go here. No touch. If I choose to share a beer from this shelf with you, that's my decision.

22. I only keep good beer in my home. If my guest drinks good beer, I will offer. If not, I do not offer beer. Why waste good beer on someone who will not enjoy it?

23. I always open my cellar to guests I know are in to craft beer or just open to trying new things. If for some reason I don't know what they like or know they only drink macro lagers, then I will pick up a case or two of Miller Lite or Yuengling Lager...basically just be a good host? For everyone saying they hide their good stuff or have problems with people raiding their cellar...either you are still 21 years old or you need to re-evaluate the relationship you have with these people.

Hermthegerm likes this.
  24. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Savant (380) Florida Dec 31, 2006

If they don't know much about craft, I might shoot them a Sierra Nevada Pale or Celebration, but usually it'll just be a PBR, Old Milwaukee, or some such. It's not that I don't want to share, but I don't want that awkwardness where they don't like my craft beer but they feel obligated to drink it because I gave it to them. Sometimes, I'll pour a little in a glass and if they like it, I'll give them a full one.

25. I only buy beer I like and am going to drink. I always bring beer to an event, no telling when I might have a chance to convert a BMC drinker. I have a whole beer only fridge open to whom ever. At my events, almost everybody shows up with something to drink. Usually I have some Mayflower, Sierra Nevada and some Jacks' Abby, plus others. If they don't like my beer, I have red wine or bourbon/rye.

26. I usually keep a case of rolling rock or PBR in my fridge at all times. I have people over regularly so I don't mind paying $10 a week to keep the fridge stocked with beer for my guest. I also tend to have around a case worth of various craft brews on hand that people are free to help themselves to(unless its my last one and I haven't had a chance to review it yet). If im having more then 20 people over I just get a keg of PBR.

dianimal likes this.
  27. At a recent Halloween/Day of the Dead party I hosted with my girlfriend, I bought some sixers of Dos Equis Amber and Bohemia (Mexican beers for a Day of the Dead party, geddit?) for people who wanted beer. I did pour some of my bombers out for people who were interested, but most people weren't.

28. dianimal

dianimal Savant (455) California Apr 18, 2012

I have friends that don't drink craft beer, and if I know they're coming over, I'll get something I know they'll like (Coors lite, Miller, Bud, etc.). Sometimes these "non-crafters" will even bring a craft beer over for me to try.

I have a fridge dedicated to craft beer, and if anyone wants to try something, I am more than happy to pour them some!

I also keep liquor, wine, champagne, etc., on-hand if they want something else.

It's pretty simple.

29. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

I'm by no means a stingy person, and am more than likely to open most anything in my cellar if there is an interest to try something. However no, I do not allow people to go down there and crack open however many bottles of whatever they'd like. With that being said, I've never even had to mention this to someone since it's pretty much common sense.

I like wine, but wouldn't expect someone who has a cellar worth thousands and thousands of dollars to let me have my way with any of their bottles just because I'm attending their party. Get real man!

30. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

A Sam Seasonal mix pack(unless it's winter, then it's a 12'er of Boston Lager), some Corona light with limes and then a 12 pack of some sort of pale ale or wheat (Lil' Sumpin Sumpin fits the bill) and whatever homebrew I have on tap.
    This works well for the folks we have over.

I haven't been a "bring your own stuff, I'll provide ice water" guy since I was a broke college kid drinking Milwaukee's Best. I was also quite the asshole back then.

31. brikelly

brikelly Savant (405) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

I've created a number of new BAs by serving great beer to people who never knew how good it could get.

Abner, St. Lamvinus, Heady, BCBS, Supplication, Westy 12, etc. All served to BMC-loving guests. Not all of them responded with glee, but a huge bunch of them were instant converts.

I disagree with the attitude of "oh they won't appreciate it because they just aren't schooled enough yet". Yeah whatevs. That's elitist and total BS. I've seen what Birth of Tragedy did to someone's face and it was fun to watch. They didn't need schooling before tasting, I mean jesus it's just beer. Great beer, but still beer. Make someone's day with the same stuff you all rant about here. Hoard it only to share it.

surfcaster likes this.