1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Good Beer gone bad ?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by heygeebee, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Folks,

Was wondering if anyone else had noticed anything similar to this? Case in question is JS Golden Ale, now the Chancer. I first bought a case of this three years or so ago, whilst I was on the outside of craft beer. Loved it but didn't re-buy due to price point. I've enjoyed regularly since then when it has been available on tap.

However.... at Christmas was given a gift mixed-six which contained one, and it was difficult to tell any APA characters at all - really macro-mainstream flavours. Thought I may have had a bad bottle. Not so sure now. The other night also had on tap at my local. Zero APA characteristics, and bad enough I could only have one. 150 Lashes tasted great by comparison.

So, have I been unlucky twice, or has something changed with the brew?

cheers,

2. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

I agree with you, I frequently ordered the Golden Ale on tap as it actually had discernible hops and was fairly pleasant.

Might be talking complete crap here, but someone posted a while back that most of their brews are not brewed in Camperdown (makes sense as that brewery couldn't possibly be large enough to supply the whole nation) but at a central Lion Nathan brewery, where they were subject to homogenised production processes. That's why their range is largely crap now, unless you happen to be lucky enough to get a beer that was brewed in Camperdown (I've seen them loading pallets of the porter there and I have a feeling some or all of the IPA is brewed there too, as well as I'm guessing the Mad Brewer's beers).

That or they've changed the recipe to minimise the use of those costly hops.

3. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

I've found it very inconsistent (different at times in a can, bottle as well as keg)...so i just avoid now, unless it is the only option

4. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

it is on the old site, burried in a forum. Some of the Squire range is brewed in Adelaide at the Lion Nathan plant there.

Somebody mentioned there was a way to tell as the 6 packs made in Camperdown are cardboard and can fold. The stuff made elsewhere can not fold the holder.

5. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

James Squire is canned?

6. MrKennedy

I think they did it just with the Golden Ale for flights and festivals

7. mulder1010

on Qantas flights.

8. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

I always found most places don't clean their taplines regularly. I have had some awful Squire Golden Ale off tap around Perth before.

9. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (685) Australia Jul 14, 2008

All the JS beers that have moved production to Yattala have gone to crap. My understanding is it has something to do with the use of Toohey's lager yeast.

10. MrKennedy

Isn't Yatala the Fosters brewery in QLD? I thought some of the JS stuff got shifted to Adelaide to the South Australian Brewery?

11. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (685) Australia Jul 14, 2008

Whoops. You're right. For some reason I had Yatala in my head when I was posting.

12. MrKennedy

No problem. Too much Squire can do that...

13. mulder1010

Thanks Dgilks. Forgot about that. In the thread on the old site that Yeast was mentioned as a problem.

14. I saw cans in Camberwell DM.

15. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (190) Australia Jul 9, 2008

A Emplyee stated that huge recipe changes were made to this beer, inclusing substitution of all hop variety in some batches, definitly a case of good beer made bad

16. interesting all round - i'll keep a lookout for the fold-able 6 packs. I was aware in the back of my mind of the decline but didn't see it is that bad until the last two samples. The other JS I've had recently were one-offs so nix to compare to.

Also brought into focus having a Fat Yak on the weekend in an otherwise so-so city bar. You could tell it was going to be approachable by the nose, even served at city tap temperature.

17. ah crap!!

18. mulder1010

What's Fat Yak??????? Never heard of it :D

19. spicelab

spicelab Savant (425) Australia Nov 6, 2009

I had Chancer a few months back and was bitterly disappointed.

Come to think of it, "bitterly" is a completely inappropriate adjective.

20. I haven't had a good Golden Ale in several years.

I had such a bad run that I've avoided trying it for well over a couple years now. I'm almost due for another sample, but it's testament to how solidly a once-good beer has burned me that I haven't revisited for so long.

Good beer does go bad, but this saga is on a bigger level.

I'm going to retry soon though. Soon, soon.

21. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

JS Golden Ale has now, to me, just become a (somewhat) palatable alcohol delivery system. I will admit it's my 'home' beer of choice when I'm not particularly concerned about flavour etc. It's also an excellent morning beer for anyone interested. I will also use it as a party beer, as I'm not too concerned if I go somehwere and someone steals it from the fridge.

Somewhere Quan Yeomans is singing 'I like your old hops better then your new hops....' :(