1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

"Good Beer Guide Belgium" out of print in US?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by PDX_dennis, Dec 29, 2012.

1. PDX_dennis

PDX_dennis Zealot (80) Oregon Dec 28, 2012

Starting to plan a trip to Belgium in 2013, but having no luck finding a copy of the "Good Beer Guide Belgium" by Tim Webb. It looks like it may have recently gone out of print. Amazon shows a new edition coming out in July 2013, but that will be too late for my trip. Anyone know of a US source for a new or used copy of the 2009 edition? Hoping to find a copy near me in Portland, OR.
  2. damjadi

damjadi Savant (250) Oregon Sep 17, 2003

Wow! A lot of folks trying to make a bunch of $$$$ based on lack of availability of this amazing tome!

Deepdiscount.com seems to have it in stock, as does Books-a-million (quick search using google shopping)... If not, my advice is order it from Amazon. When (and if) they get it in, they'll ship it to you. Meanwhile keep your eyes open, check abebooks and Powells (the latter has it back ordered). If you find it elsewhere, cancel your order...
  3. PDX_dennis

Yep, already have an order in with Amazon...waiting for updates. Deepdiscount and booksamillion don't say they have it in stock, just that it would ship in 5-10 days or 2-4 weeks. I'm guessing they would send me backorder notices when they actually check with the distributor. I also just ordered a copy from a Canadian online bookstore, indigo.ca. They claim to have it in stock, so hope that works out. If anyone on BA has a used copy they're willing to part with, send me a PM.
  4. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I'm not interested in selling mine, but could possibly lend it to you for a week or two to make notes before your trip.

(I'm not sure what parts of Belgium you will be in or for how long, but FWIW I didn't actually find the book that useful for my 3-day lightning visit last year. Once I hit my "highlights" (In De Vrede, Rodenbach tour, DHvL, Cantillon, 3F, Moeder Lambic) there wasn't much time left for further exploration.)
  5. PDX_dennis

Thanks, kscaldef. If my order with the Canadians falls through, I'll take you up on your offer. I'm planning to spend at least a full week in Belgium, but need to map out my itinerary.
  6. Just Checked the CAMRA web shop and is in stock priced at £14.99 plus postage
  7. PDX_dennis

Ordering from CAMRA in the UK was going to be my last resort. Fortunately, I just got a shipping confirmation from the Canadian bookstore, Indigo. I must have snagged the last copy, as Indigo's site now shows the inventory as "on re-order". Looking forward to getting it and planning the trip!
  8. damjadi

damjadi Savant (250) Oregon Sep 17, 2003

BTW,met Tim Webb several times at beer events. Great guy, beer genius, and amusing writer!
    PDX_dennis likes this.
  9. Glad you got a copy. Was going to pipe up for a loaner as a last resort.

As kscaldef mentioned, it's a good book to a point, but in some scenarios not greatly helpful. I would advise once you have a rough idea of what you plan, asking more specific questions of those that have done recent trips, or on the Benelux forum.

I did a trip a few months back and may be able to help to a small degree. Still lots of fun just to wing it too.

Cheers
    Spaceloaf likes this.
  10. I know it's late for the OP but I have seen it in Belgian Bottle shops, so if someone could not get hold of it before they leave then there may be another chance once there.
    It's a great book if a little out of date but there is a website with updates, I have sent a few update to it myself.
  11. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Aficionado (215) Oregon Nov 27, 2008

Definitely ask in the Benelux forum. I also have the book but I found the forum much more helpful/useful than the book. It's fine as a last resort when you're already there and don't have internet access. But for planning there's a lot of details and suggestions that the book doesn't really cover.
  12. PDX_dennis

Book arrived from Canada yesterday. Faster shipping than I expected. Looks to be a great resource, but I will definitely check for the latest info in the BA Benelux forum, and also on Tim Webb's website www.booksaboutbeer.com . Thanks again to those who had offered me a loaner copy.
  13. scotti561

scotti561 Zealot (90) Florida Feb 2, 2013

I am headed to Belgium in a few months and came across this thread. Does anyone know the status of the 2013 edition? I checked around a bit and can't find it on Amazon anymore or anywhere else. I was hoping for the newest edition.