1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Good Beer Luck?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TastyIsBeer, Apr 11, 2013.

1. TastyIsBeer

TastyIsBeer Savant (395) Illinois Dec 13, 2006

Walked into a bar this evening and saw this on the draft list:
    [​IMG]

After studying it for a second trying to decide, the KBS jumped out at me. "Whoa-gotta get me one of these!" Waitress walks up: "Can I get a KENTUCKY Breakfast Stout?""Sure" Beer comes, I taste. "Hmmm... tastes a lot like regular Breakfast Stout." Waitress comes back. "Are you sure this is KENTUCKY Breakfast Stout?" "It was what was on the ticket"... "I think they poured you the wrong thing. Would you still like a Kentucky Breakfast Stout?" "YES!"

I was happy to accidentally try the base beer and the goodness that is KBS back-to-back for just the price of the KBS.

Any other good beer luck stories out there?
    cwreay90, Eriktheipaman and nsheehan like this.
  2. Just FYI: FBS is not the base beer for KBS.
    Broanoke, Jake1605 and alysmith4 like this.
  3. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Savant (440) Illinois Apr 6, 2012

Damn I was there on Friday and they didn't have KBS. Dayman was great though!
  4. As for good beer luck...when CBS dropped, I was really busy and didn't manage to score a bottle. I had previously had it on tap so I wasn't too bumbed but I still wanted to snag a bottle. One of my beer reps told me they had none left and my account with them wasn't big enough to make the cut for allocation. He said he would keep his eyes out for me. About 3 months later after I had all but forgotten and given up, he shows up randomly at my bar and hands me a bottle. I was blown away. Thanks buddy, you know who you are.
  5. You know, I was thinkin' bout this - and maybe it is. I know it says "Note, this is NOT simply barrel-aged Breakfast Stout. It is an entirely different beer" but does that really mean FBS isn't the base? Maybe they're trying to say, "don't mistaken this for that, as it transforms into something totally different."

Idk, just my thoughts. Anyone know for sure?
  6. nsheehan

nsheehan Savant (475) Texas Jul 3, 2011

The first time I went to Russian River I asked for not just a full sampler of beer (both sides of the brew board, American and Belgian styles are on each side), I asked for a 1 American style and 2 Belgian style samplers, which is a board and a half of samplers. Strange request, right? I just wanted to get to sample each Belgian a little more before I chose a pint/snifter.

They ended up bringing out the wrong combination of sides (I think they brought out 2 American and 1 Belgian), and ended up getting extra sampler beer for free when the error was corrected. I and my table (family members) didn't mind the error; we would've paid for it, but the brewpub was cool to comp it hassle-free.

P.S. I can't believe Ommegang Witte is beer of the month when there are other beers on board, and better more local ones around the upper midwest.
  7. I'm about 94% positive that I heard or read that it is a different base beer...I don't have the motivation to look it up, sorry.
    Mothergoose03 and alysmith4 like this.
  8. A friend at Stone buying a new person to beer like me, a 2008 DB pint and a sample of Rodenbach Classic because we had been talking about them and how I hadn't had them. This was at an Enjoy By event.
  9. I found BCBCS on the shelf when I was visiting my dad for Christmas and when I wandered into my local store last Friday and asked about KBS they sold me their last bottle of six.
  10. Damn, $3.50 pints for all their beers?
  11. I walked into my regular store (well the guy left and started his own place), but it was a week or so after KBS came out. I went in just to walk around and shop. I go to check out with a 6 pack of something I cant remember. He asks me, "do you want the 2 bottles of KBS i set aside for you?"

Now I hadnt even mentioned KBS to him in any way shape or form. He just kind of did it. Then i only paid $5 for both.

Thanks JD!
  12. Excuse me, could I have a Guinness, thanks.
  13. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

Seems like when I go to a bar I have to have four beers in mind that I want to drink. I order three and they're out of all of them. I usually get a beer by the fourth order. Maybe you guys should stay away from my unlucky beer ass.
    pjeagles likes this.
  14. Benish

Benish Savant (460) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2013

When I'm visiting my folks, once a while there is a decent beer in their fridge and its free :)
  15. jplopez21

jplopez21 Savant (470) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

holy hell. I've never heard of this place. NEED to go.
    ECalebrews449 likes this.
  16. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

That's a good taplist.
  17. hornsup

hornsup Savant (310) Virginia Nov 29, 2012

Hope you got a Guinness, I hear that's only brewed in Ireland
  18. That may be the best taplist these eyes have ever beheld outside of a festival. To regrettably quote Randy Newman, Dirty Nellie's, you've got a friend in me.
  19. I was at twin peaks the other day and ordered a tall sweetwater IPA a different waitress brings it to me and I start drinking it then about 3 minutes later my actual waitress brings out another one and says something about the ticket rang up wrong and they poured 2. Not anything special but I was happy to get a free beer.
  20. hornsup

hornsup Savant (310) Virginia Nov 29, 2012

Regrettably? YOU TAKE THAT BACK!
    THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  21. JayAre46

JayAre46 Aficionado (240) Texas Sep 27, 2010

Zombie dust, kbs, fbs, sucaba, dayman and ten fidy. That's ridiculous man. White. Girl. Wasted.
  22. SSSBR1509

SSSBR1509 Zealot (75) Florida Jan 12, 2013

A buddy of mine and i went into our local ABC and we came across a 4 pack of weyerbacher double simcoe for $3.50 about 85 cents a bottle i know its year round but its still a solid beer
  23. fishmich

fishmich Savant (490) Michigan Apr 11, 2013

bad beer luck story...
    my local bar usually has around 35 handles going with a very nice selection. a few days after KBS came out(about two weeks ago) i walked in and sat down. i asked if they had KBS yet and if they planned to tap it soon. she says "yeah we have it in the cooler but not sure when we are going to set it up." i said "sounds good plenty of other options." then she says "i think we still have CBS on tap." to this i simply said calmly..."what?" she says, "yeah we had a keg we've been sitting on and we tapped it a couple days ago." she asks another server if it was still on tap and that girl replies, "no we ran out a couple hours ago." i went from pure excitement and joy to heartbreak. i was still able to get some Goodnight Bodacious but it was tough.

good beer luck story...
    shortly after that i was in one of my local bottle shops talking to the guy behind the counter about beer. he got KBS for the first time this year and we were talking about other stouts. i told him Goose Island makes a really good one called Bourbon County and he reaches under the counter and says, "yeah this stuff?" with a bottle of BCBCS in hand. i said well that is the coffee version but yeah thats it. he had been saving it after selling the only other bottle he got last year but he saw how big my eyes got when i saw that red label and decided to offer it to me. i gladly bought it and told him when i do decide to open it that ill let him know so he can try it. good people at that store that ive known since i was a little kid.
  24. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

You did read that. It was in a thread I think within the last week and a half or so... There was some discussion on both sides, but I think the general opinion was two different base beers. Some people dared to bring facts into the discussion LOL!