1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Good Beer on Tap in Silicon Valley - Need Recommendations

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by DTewes, Mar 8, 2012.

1. DTewes

DTewes Disciple (55) California Mar 6, 2010

Going out for a beer with my boss next week, neither of us are locals; help me impress him. San Carlos / Redwood City / San Mateo area...
  2. If it's on an expense account go to Refuge in San Carlos. Otherwise Gourmet Haus Staudt in Redwood City.
  3. teamizm

teamizm Savant (385) California Feb 4, 2005

I like The Rose and Crown in PA. Pricey (as is all of the penninsula), but decent craft beer selection.
  4. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

If he likes German beer then take him to gourmet haus staudt, otherwise the rose & crown is your best bet with a pretty diverse selection, you should be able to find something for him there easily.
  5. Forgot about Rose & Crown.

Gourmet Haus Staudt = German imports with a couple US craft
    Refuge = Belgian imports with a couple US craft
    Rose & Crown = British imports with a lot more US craft than the other 2

Refuge is by far the most expensive
  6. DTewes

well, it looks like the results are in - thanks for the recommendations and context, I'll let you know if good beer helps my career...
  7. How's the career going? Which place did you end up drinking at?
  8. DTewes

thanks for asking; we went to Refuge - the boss had the Rodenbach and I had La Chouffe. I forgot what we had for our second round; his was off the reserve list, mine tasted like a slice of cake (in a really good way, esp after a meal). pretty sure i would recognize it if i saw the name, but it doesn't seem to be listed on their web site... oh, and the pastrami was excellent. can't wait to go back.

the boss seemed pleased; i am still employed.

thanks to all for the suggestions!
  9. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

I love Refuge. My wallet doesn't.

Mid-peninsula is a dead zone for craft beer compared to south bay, east bay or the city. There's not much between Menlo Park and Daly City, unfortunately :(.