1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Good bottle shops in Perth metro area

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by LittleCreature, Apr 13, 2012.

1. I'm putting together a list of bottle shops in the Perth metro area that have a good range of craft beer. So far this is what I have got:

Big Brews Liquor - Warnbro

Cellarbrations Carlisle

Cellar on Preston (new name and location, I believe)

Corkers - Vic Park

Dan Murphy’s - various

Greenmount Liquor

International Beer Shop

Liquor Barons Mt Lawley

Mane Liquor

The Beer Store - Morley

The Freo Doctor Liquor Store

I haven't actually been to all of the above, particularly those NOR. If you know of any other good liquor stores that deserve to be on this list, please reply so I can check them - this is for a Beer & Brewer publication and I don't want any good liquor stores to miss out.

2. i haven't updated it in over a year but a belgian-beers-in-perth s/sheet i made might help
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B1Gv4oBV9x59MzEwMjRlMWMtY2FkMS00YTE1LWFkZTEtODhmODE5MGJmY2M5&hl=en
    off top of my head, como liquor store (corner canning hwy and monash ave in como, very close to the como hotel but not the bottle store at the hotel) is really good, especially for a small store.

angelo st liquor barons is also quite good -- its the old cellar on preston (cellar on preston is gone)

both these stores are quite good, not on IBS/carlisle/mane/freo doctor level but they do carry new seppo stuff and occasionally some lambics, and stuff like rochefort etc is always there. probably on the same level as corkers vic park -- all 3 good stores in their own right, but if you live nearby then for a 'local' they are fantastic

3. add to that:
    the windsor hotel has an off-license attached that is again very good for a local -- always rochefort and some other decent stuff. probably just a notch below corkers/como/angelo st in terms of range & quality -- and rochefort10 (i'll just call them R10s) $9, cheapest i've seen

and at the same level is the liquor barons on archer st in carlisle -- Cellarbrations carlisle down the road is much better, but the liquor barons on archer has really turned around, the cheapest R10s in perth along with windsor (both $9 recently) and plenty of other good stuff

don't think you'd get much 'craft service' at liquor barons on archer st though, whereas at como and angelo st (and to a lesser extent corkers) you definitely would

corkers vic park is lukie's old stomping ground i believe?

other stores that, last time i checked, had similar sort of range/quality to liquor barons on archer:
    - old bridge cellars (north fremantle)
    - the botanica bottle store in innaloo
    - devine cellars inglewood
    - tuart hill liquor store (has a website)
    - cellarbrations on parry avenue (bullcreek)
    - 1st choice in jandakot (might be the only 1st choice store still interested in decent beer; or has it dropped off also?). 1st choice riverton is ok actually... and bicton and bentley still have a few things left from their glory days

even the raffles bottle store (canning hwy on the river) has some decent stuff, but very little turnover i think...
    and craft service is highly unlikely. hell they even put their dom perignon in the prime viewing spot (in the sun) as demanded by the rep!

4. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

It's a Moet product. It's not about the taste, it's about the sale/marketing.

5. dansmcd

dansmcd Savant (425) Australia Dec 19, 2010

"- 1st choice in jandakot (might be the only 1st choice store still interested in decent beer; or has it dropped off also?). "

My local. Not too bad at all. Decent range of Germans, Belgians, Brits. And 20% off for a mixed sixer. They've been flogging off Tripel Karmeliet for $6 for many months now. Minus 20% = $4.80 each. I'm there at least once a week. Keeps me going between IBS, Cellarbrations Carlisle, Mane visits.

6. dansmcd

dansmcd Savant (425) Australia Dec 19, 2010

"off top of my head, como liquor store (corner canning hwy and monash ave in como, very close to the como hotel but not the bottle store at the hotel) is really good, especially for a small store."

Been here and although it is very small, you will find some good beers you can't get from Dan Murphys or 1st Choice.

7. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (190) Australia Jul 9, 2008

bicton cellars has strange range of kiwi and danish and norweigan craft, all very old stock thou

south street cellars in hilton is ok,
    the legends bottleshop in attadale also has quite a big range

8. Thanks for the replies - much appreciated!

9. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (190) Australia Jul 9, 2008

another ok one is the cellealrbrations at Ardorss, , also FARYG' sdown under shop at atwell, and north freo cellars