1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Good Breweries Around Bells

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by sportscrazed2, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Thinking of making the trip next weekend from northwest indiana to bells in kalamazoo. Any other good places i should check out?
  2. ja1022

ja1022 Aficionado (200) Indiana Sep 27, 2009

Along the way you have Shoreline in Michigan City, Greenbush in Sawyer, The Livery in Benton Harbor, and Paw Paw in well, Paw Paw. For me Dark Horse in Marshall is more of an attraction than Bell's. I've also enjoyed Arcadia (Battle Creek) and Olde Peninsula (Kalamazoo). Too many other good places in southwest Michigan. Waldorf, Saugatuck, Odd Sides, Grand Rapids. Hardest part of a Michigan road trip.
  3. Holy crap i had no idea how much was out there
  4. vande

vande Savant (485) Illinois Jan 26, 2007

I second the Dark Horse and Arcadia... I've heard great things about the Livery but hadn't made it there yet myself... Grand Rapids has quite a few stops - hit up Founders and Hopcat up and around the corner...
  5. Definitely check out Greenbush in Sawyer. I think they are a real up and coming brewery.
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  6. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (535) Indiana Mar 31, 2010

Definitely go up to Founder's and Hopcat in GR (about 50 minutes away). Also New Holland isn't terribly out of the way coming back from GR. Dark Horse and Arcadia are more on the route of people coming up 69, but are still worthwhile stops.
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  7. psykosis

psykosis Savant (320) Indiana May 21, 2009

If you are heading up to GR for Founders & HopCat, make sure you go to Brewery Vivant too. And you'll be close to White Flame Brewing on the way to New Holland.

Also, I second the suggestions of Greenbush (I'm a huge fan, and wish they had distribution up here in TC) and Waldorf. Dark Horse is nice too, but I'm not as smitten with it as others.
  8. trginter

trginter Savant (340) Michigan Dec 1, 2008

I wouldn't waste your time with New Holland. Greenbush is going to be the next big thing though. They just got their bottling line up and running. They make some killer stouts.
  9. psykosis

psykosis Savant (320) Indiana May 21, 2009

Wearing one of their shirts right now. :eek:

Can't wait until they see state-wide distribution.
  10. ja1022

I'm a big fan as well. They're about an hour away from me and we make it up there at least every couple of weeks, including yesterday.
  11. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

I've enjoyed popping my head in at Paw Paw Brewing for a beer after trips to Bells.
  12. howopeeps

howopeeps Aficionado (175) Ohio Mar 7, 2011

was thinking about going up from ohio for spring break. was planning on hitting dark horse/bells/founders. Thinking about Kuhnhenns/jolly pumpkin shorts. Any recommend routes or some tips to help me out
  13. ja1022

If you're going to do Short's, which I highly recommend, I would also go to Right Brain in Traverse City.
  14. howopeeps

How is the jolly pumpkin in Ann arbor or is the dexler place worth it. Also would it be to much to hit dark horse bells and end at founders in the same day
  15. jale

jale Savant (465) Michigan Oct 17, 2009

Jolly Pumpkin in Dexter is the brewing facility. They have no tasting room there. Ann Arbor JP has good food and walking distance of 3 other breweries.
  16. ja1022

Yep. Bell's is probably 45 minutes from Dark Horse, and then you'd shoot up 131 to Grand Rapids.

Bigger issue for me always becomes drinking everything I want to try or enjoy, and driving. Fortunately, my wife usually drives.
  17. howopeeps

For growler fillings do they take guest breweries or do you have buy theirs. Don'tind buying new ones if
    They are a little different