1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Good Homebrew Shops in Denver

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by Bunkles, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Bunkles

Bunkles Initiate (0) Massachusetts Nov 15, 2009

Hey guys, just moved out to Denver from the East Coast and I've got a hankering for some homebrewing. Do you guys have any suggestions for good shops out here? I don't have any of my equipment out here, so I'd need to pick up a carboy and tubing.
  2. tdjb

tdjb Aficionado (195) Colorado Mar 19, 2010

hopfacebrew, Domingo and doobliebop like this.
  3. Stomp them Grapes is probably the best price-wise imo. Brew hut is great as well, and you'll end up hitting Dry Dock at the same time, so it's always a fun trip.
  4. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Another vote for the Brew Hut. Definitely my favorite, and having Dry Dock share their space is nice, too.
    Depending on where you live, Brew at Home off of Broadway in Englewood is also a good store.
    If you're in the far, far northern end of town Hops & Berries in Ft. Collins is also a good store. Kind of like Dry Dock and the Brew Hut, they're affiliated with Equinox.
  5. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,005) Colorado May 19, 2005

What Domingo said. I go to BrewHut for the supplies and have a beer whilst shopping (sometimes not the best idea)
    But I live near Stom them Grapes, which is a good store, but seems to have fewer options. Then again, Crooked Stave is right there, too.
    Brew at Home is solid, as well as Hops/Berries
  6. Hey guys, the Broadway place is called Beer at Home, not Brew at Home ;) (I think they have a location in Westminster as well).
    And I really like that place; Benny, Gordon, John, Steve, Molly...they're all really great to get to know. They're always up for tasting your home brew and giving pointers. Plus they're usually brewing out back, and I think they do demos/lessons.
    Also, Barley Haven just opened up in Lakewood on Wadsworth. Convenient, as it's very close to my house, but kind of pricey.
    The Brew Hut is a really clean, organized place, and as mentioned, connected to Dry Dock (my personal favorite Colorado brewery), but it's a drive for me, so I tend to stick to the first two I mentioned.
  7. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I gotta go with brew hut. Been in there several times and the staff is friendly and very helpful. Even had one of the guys passing me samples of his homebrew. I've heard people talking on the forums about not being able to get certain hops and specific grains, but so far I have been able to get everything I have needed so far. Great place.
  8. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (465) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

Yeah, The Brew Hut hands down.

I used to go to Stomp Them Grapes over lunch and thought they were very nice and helpful. However, too many times I drove over only to find the store closed unexpectedly. I couldn't take it any more and now only shop at The Brew Hut.

I don't have anything to say about the other stores, I've heard good things but they are too far away from me to justify.
  9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

There is also one in Monument called Rocky mountain Homebrew, its a smaller, more laid back place. The owner actually does a hands on class and puts together his own brewing paraphenalia kit that is really solid, and you get 20% off any purchase when you go to the free "seminar".
    hopfacebrew likes this.
  10. I would go with Brew Hut but is you're in Westminster Do Your Brew is also a nice store. Not as big a selection but very helpful and friendly.
  11. Just made a visit to Do Your Brew and the store is in the process of expanding to 2200sf. They are putting in a brew system where you can go in and brew a batch. And they are adding a tasting room where you can drink.
  12. Bunkles

Bunkles Initiate (0) Massachusetts Nov 15, 2009

Hey guys, thanks for all the great suggestions. Brew hut clearly seems to be the winner here, so it looks like that's where I'll be starting.
  13. another vote for Beer at Home on South Broadway. I don't have any problems with the others, Brew Hut is definitely my #2 and always go there when I need Wyeast. (which Beer at Home doesn't carry.) Did drop in on Stomp Them Grapes before/after a Crooked Stave run, impressed by the sheer volume of stuff but turned off by boxes and boxes of unrefrigerated hops sitting on the floor in the back of the store. Maybe they had just gotten an order in, but...definitely not cool IMO.

New brewers--there's almost always a batch going in the parking lot behind Beer At Home, good place to get impromptu all grain lessons.
    hopfacebrew likes this.