1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

good local sours and saisons in Atlanta area?

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by 4kbrianb, Jan 30, 2013.

1. I have a friend who has moved to Atlanta and I took it upon myself to use his new found home base in order to get some local options from out there. Can any of you throw out some breweries or beers I should have him look for? I checked out seekabrew and did some minor research, but I know you guys would know best since it is your home turf!

2. Skrip

Skrip Savant (380) South Carolina Oct 7, 2012

i'm pretty sure Westbrook just came to GA. their Hughey Saison is awesome

3. BulbMan

BulbMan Aficionado (125) Georgia Aug 15, 2010

Atlanta is not generally known for it's sours and saisons... That having been said, Sweetwater crafts some great IPAs (their basic SW IPA is very good, make sure it's fresh) and Terrapin does some good things, most notably Wake n Bake and some others.

4. what are the others?

5. QuentinCall

QuentinCall Savant (290) Georgia Sep 30, 2011

Hopzilla is lovely, Moo-Hoo and Easy Rider are more than solid, and Monk's Revenge is pretty nice.

Besides Terrapin, Wild Heaven has made three fantastic Belgians (Invocation, Ode to Mercy and Eschaton) and there is some noteworthy stuff being brewed at Twain's and The Wrecking Bar.
    But yeah, sours and saisons are kinda scarce.

6. ivanwho

ivanwho Zealot (75) Georgia Feb 19, 2009

5 Seasons West usually has 1+ Saisons on tap. They probably make more than anyone else in town. I'm hopeful for Three Taverns, we'll have to check back on them in 6 months though.

7. Bring back Rye^2

8. Thanks for the help guys.... I guess breweries outside of the state of Georgia will work also. I am assuming I don;t get many options from the surrounding states in the South/Mid-Atlantic

9. bctdi

bctdi Aficionado (220) Georgia Dec 8, 2008

Go to greens on ponce. They have about as many sours as you can find in the atlanta area. Hop city also will have them as well. I really can't think of any local sours off the top of my head though.

10. I have a bunch of Angel's Share Brandy Barrel 2010 in the back at my store. You can by all of them. It's definitely sour.

flipdog0 likes this.
  11. Haha oh ya? What size bottle and what price?

12. 375ml bottles I have 9 in stock and I will sell them to you pennies above cost @11.98

13. I do appreciate the offer, but I don't think I have the need for those bottles. I also live 45 minutes from Lost Abbey so I am hoping to get something upfront from them soon.

too many negative reviews online for that poor beer. If you have any interesting saison, Gueze, farmhouse ales or similar options please let me know. What store are you referring to?

14. Awesome, thanks man. Typical stuff for that region of the US or for the whole US? I was hoping typical in the Atlanta area is a bit different than typical for Southern California.

I really appreciate the help by the way!

15. Typical for the entire US. My store doesn't have a big sour demand and it's not really the season for saison's right now.
    No problem. Stop by here if you have the time and we can talk. Also, check out Hop City and Green's. Both are great stores. If one of us 3 doesn't have something you want, you're just plain picky :p

16. Well i live in California, but my friend relocated out to Atlanta so I am using him as a middle man. I might have to tell him to cruise on in come spring time... I am sure you will have your hands on some good released around then. Hell, i might just make him stop by as often as humanly possible.

17. gaweso

gaweso Aficionado (135) Georgia Jan 23, 2009

There are two locals that bottle saisons. Jailhouse has a solid one that will probably be out by then. Terrapin is introducing a peach saison this year, so we'll have to wait and see how that turns out. So far, Westbrook is only sending a couple beers, but I would guess we'll have more by then. They also have a farmhouse ipa that's supposed to be good. Apparently you get St Somewhere, Allagash, Boulevard, and Jolly Pumpkin, but if not I would recommend those. I haven't tried Cisco, but Smuttynose and Weyerbacher are pretty good. We may have some Belgian offerings that you don't have, as well. I would ask again when the time gets closer, since there might be more options available then. By the way, 5 Seasons doesn't distribute their beer, so you won't be able to get that.

18. I mean their side projects are OK to really good, and Rye PA was pretty good too.