1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Good (not great) breweries

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MetalMountainMastiff, Jan 23, 2013.

1. I've been thinking lately about some Breweries, that are very good! but NOT great. This came to me when tasting with my friends some Widmer Bros. Many good beers....But none ever shock me with greatness!!!

What others are there, or if anyone disagrees with Widmer not being great.

2. Mine has always been Highland, Sweetwater, and I'll agree on Widmer.

I'm sure there's more though.

Keith_R, kylelenk and mecmd like this.
  3. JulianC

JulianC Savant (345) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

Two Brothers.

4. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (600) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

If I had to rate breweries based on their beers, Widmer would be lower than "good".

5. I think the ones that I can get my hands on that make very good beer , but nothing that would be considered great are Abita , Tallgrass and Diamond Bear. I drink beers from all three of them and really like them , but they have yet to make a beer that makes people go crazy outside of their brewing region

6. lookrider

lookrider Savant (400) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

For me, the first that comes to mind here in PA is Weyerbacher

lsummers, st9647v3 and wvsabbath like this.
  7. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (780) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Thirsty Dog, Two Brothers, Ithaca, Arcadia, and Anderson Valley come to mind.. all have a couple homeruns, but have a couple strikeouts as well..

Bitter_Echo likes this.
  8. New Belgium has always been at that level for me. Good stuff, but can't think of anything of theirs that's been on my "You HAVE to try this" list.

Bootleggers, just because of their inconsistency.
    Ninkasi

9. New Belgium for me.

10. Actually I should add Knee Deep brewing to this. Though Simtra is a great beer. One great won't save many good.

afrokaze likes this.
  11. There are tons of them, so I'll do some controversial one's

Ballast Point: V@S is great, Sculpin's quality has taken a nosedive, all the rest are decent but I don't think I have ever repeat purchased any of them.

Deschute's: Black Butte is one of my most purchased beers ever & Jubelale is a buy every year. Other than that I don't really find too much to get from them. Not a fan of any of the reserve series beers aside from Jubel 2010.

CommanderOfAwesome likes this.
  12. Flying Dog. I like a LOT of their stuff (Wildeman, Raging Bitch, Horn Dog, Gonzo, Pearl Necklace, Kujo), but nothing they do really wows me.

13. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

The first thing that popped into my head when I saw the title of this thread was Victory. Sure, they make some really solid beers (Hop Devil, Golden Monkey, Whirlwind Wit), and even some pretty amazing ones (Yakima Glory, Prima Pils, Hop Wallop, Dark Intrigue), but they seem to lack a certain creativity as far as brewing varying styles and barrel aging.

Flying Fish also comes to mind (although I'm a huge fan of the Exit 16 DIPA).

ESeab and mattbk like this.
  14. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

15. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I'll second Two Brothers. I really like some of the beers (Domaine DuPage for starters), but the more I taste from other breweries, the more I can see where they are just OK beers, not amazing. 5 Rabbits out of Chicago falls into this category for me as well.

JulianC likes this.
  16. So three "solids" and four "amazing" and you are disappointed? Tough company to keep!

17. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Victory, Ballast Point, Blue Point, Flying Fish, Weyerbacher, Flying Dog, Long Trail.

I would say that opinions in this thread are relative. I thought a lot of these breweries listed were great at one pount in time. However, as the obsession evolved and I found other breweries not as readily available, well, theres only so much room at the top......

petah12, hutch24 and Bitter_Echo like this.
  18. cjoc83

I kind of consider Weyerbacher to be closer to 'great' than 'good'. Insanity and Heresy are amazing BA RIS's and barleywines, Riserva is a seriously great and seriously underrated sour, and Double Simcoe is an amazing DIPA. That's too many great beers for it to be just a 'good' brewery.

19. cjoc83

Pretty amazing, as in almost-great. They just don't brew any single beer that's a "must-try" or world-class. Maybe they're on the cusp of greatness? Lol...

20. lookrider

lookrider Savant (400) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

You're right. So we'll move Weyerbacher into the tweener category since it's better than good but not quite great.

21. Flying Dog makes a few good beers, the rest are average. Weyerbacher as well. I just havent had enough great things from them to throw them in the great category.

Highland makes good beer, but only one great beer (Thunderstruck). Triangle Brewing here in Durham makes good beer, and a few greats (Bourbon sour Dubbel comes to mind first).

22. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

For me Smuttynose (local to me) is a good but not great one. They have a few rotating beers that are pretty good, but most of their stuff doesn't do much for me. I'm looking at you Finestkind - I want to like you, I really do.

BrownAleMale and SalukiAlum like this.
  23. +1 for Flying Dog, Long Trail, Abita and Blue Point in descending order.

24. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Arbor Brewing, New Holland, Arcadia Ales

craigo19, abraxel and JulianC like this.
  25. Sixpoint

highlifeCO and Whimpers like this.
  26. That's blasphemy (no pun intended).

RobertColianni, ESeab and cjoc83 like this.
  27. brewfly

brewfly Zealot (75) New York Dec 13, 2012

magic hat, custom brewcrafters, saranac. has to be 100 varieties of beer between the 3 and nothing real memorable for me in the bunch

28. Auburn Ale house....not that that is an interesting one to add.

29. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (285) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

Just good? I think of Weyerbacher as in the 'big' 2nd tier of breweries. Just my thoughts though

30. Possibly....fiftyfifty...not sure..I love BART and ICED bart. Some Eclipse, and Donner Party and Annularity ....But something about them makes me want to say them..........maybe not!

31. Central Waters regular lineup MEH but Illumination BB stout BBBW stellar

WYVYRN527 likes this.
  32. Whimpers

Whimpers Savant (495) New York Dec 17, 2010

Sixpoint and Dogfish Head , a few fantastic beers apiece and a few not so much

33. MikeWard

MikeWard Savant (455) Pennsylvania Sep 14, 2011

Sticking to breweries where I've tried a bunch of their beers, I'll echo earlier posts about Anderson Valley, Flying Dog, Long Trail (barely makes "good" though) and Magic Hat. And I'll throw in Boulder, Heavy Seas, and Otter Creek.

34. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

Honestly, I'm going with North Coast. Aside from Old Rasputin, they haven't wowed me. With that said though, Raspy is one of my favorite beers. I don't care for Scrimshaw, Red Seal, or Old #38 and La Merle is average at best. I do like Pranqster though. I just don't buy it very often. Oh and Old Stock...alcohol burn city.

MetalMountainMastiff likes this.
  35. I was just thinking this. I bought a few on Saturday after a long hike and was pumped to have a Sculpin. Really disappointed and didn't live up to what I remembered.

36. mvdillman

mvdillman Savant (265) Indiana Dec 30, 2012

Two Brothers for sure. Nothing really wows me

hardy008 and Boilerfood like this.
  37. This is hilarious. "Good", not "great"? Talk about vague... aren't we just splitting hairs?

Makes me want to start a thread like this in the New England Forum called " Awesome, but not wicked awesome breweries"

fineout, sharpski, Errto and 11 others like this.
  38. +1 sixpoint

JulianC likes this.
  39. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Russian River. Other than Beatification, Temptation, FFAC, Supplication, Pliny the Elder, Consecration, Blind Pig, Sanctification, and Pliny the Younger, their beers are merely good.

mdvatab, aab, SatlyMalty and 18 others like this.
  40. 6-pack of Drifter makes everything great

kuhndog and Falcone like this.