1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Good (not great) breweries

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MetalMountainMastiff, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Brooklyn Brewery

kylelenk likes this.
  2. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I agree that Domaine DuPage is a great beer (and I'm looking forward to the Long Haul and The Bitter End.) But for every great beer, they seem to have a "eh" one. Dog Days. Ebel's Weiss. Outlaw. Prairie Path. All fine beers, but not WOW beers. I

3. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Dude, you're talking about the middle of the curve. We can build this list until I carks fall off

4. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (395) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

IMHO, Bell's. They have some quality releases (Black Note/Hopslam/Expy Stout) but most of their portfolio is just decent or ok beers. Oberon's quality has diminished significantly and I'm never seeking out others.

teal likes this.
  5. xanok

xanok Savant (415) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

Say what you will, but DFH doesn't make many things that can be classified as better than "good" in my opinion. 60 minute is one of my favorite single IPAs, and I love some Fort and Bitches Brew. Outside of those though, nothing I can think of that blows my mind.

kylelenk likes this.
  6. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (395) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

I'd also like to think that breweries who don't really push the envelope or rotate their portfolio are just "good" breweries. Left Hand, for example, is really conservative with their offerings. Milk Stout is great but it seems they never try anything big and bold. When you have breweries like Firestone Walker, Three Floyds, Founders, etc. that are continually morphing their portfolio with specialty releases, I consider them to be great breweries.

7. Aren't most craft breweries this way?

mjtiernan likes this.
  8. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

I always put Saranac and Long Trail together in this category. I also really enjoy their variety packs for the ease of drinking and switching styles. Solid brew, just not great

9. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Yep, basically. There's only a handful of breweries I can think of that universally everyone can agree on.

10. Because I love Raspy so much, I was extremely excited to try their Grand Cru. I was extremely disappointed. It was a yeasty mess, reminding me of my first ill-fated attempt at making alcohol. Only with the North Coast brew, I was more certain that I hadn't digested anything potentially deadly.

11. Hill Farmstead beside the beers named after his family members, philosophy books,a dog, stuff I drink at fancy brunches and juicy! :)

12. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (570) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

I would have to say Long Trail is much better than Saranac!!

13. Flying Fish isn't even "good"... Exit 16 is a fluke (as are some of their one-offs) and they'll sometimes (once or twice a year) have a fluke batch of one of their flagships that comes out "good".

That said, I haven't had any of their beer since they relocated to their new location. I was (for some reason) curious to see if there would be an improvement in quality and consistency... (rant over)

14. Bootleggers.

jgluck likes this.
  15. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (370) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

River North in Downtown Denver makes a lot of good beers, but nothing great. I'd say Renegade in Denver is better but has a lot of underwhelming beers for every awesome beer they have too. I think it takes an amazing brewer to really wow you with almost everything they do. (Firestone, Deschuttes, Avery, Lost Abbey, ect. )

16. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

If it's good, why is it a "fluke"? I've had Exit 16 DIPA and Exit 8 Chestnut Brown Ale both numerous times, and they've been consistent in their quality. I can't really speak to their flagship beers because I don't really buy them.

ESeab likes this.
  17. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (270) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

I agree about Arcadia.

18. kingofhop

kingofhop Advocate (555) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Bridgeport. Available in my neck of the woods. Nothing "mindblowing" (whatever that means) but good solid beers that are priced decently and never disappoint. I thought Widmer Falconer was pretty above average too.

19. Harpoon
    Full Sail

20. SP23

SP23 Aficionado (135) California Aug 21, 2008

Stone
    Lagunitas
    Green Flash
    Ballast Point
    Dogfish Head
    Deschutes
    Bootleggers
    Avery
    Great Divide
    Hangar 24

Many more, all good. Just not great. I don't think I could list 10 breweries that I think are great.

21. Shirley you must be joking!

22. Harpoon, Flying Dog, Abita, and Heavy Seas.

23. I am not a big fan of 60 minute but their Punkin Ale is one of my favorite beers. WWS is a pretty solid beer as well.

I don't think there are any breweries that I like every single beer they make. That's why its great to have so many options!

xanok likes this.
  24. eawolff99

eawolff99 Advocate (590) Colorado May 10, 2010

Surly (x Abrasive and Wet). Otherwise, *yawn*

25. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Wow, I love Smuttynose. Its definitly my favorite brewery that is always accessible here in CT. I feel like my eyes were raped seeing that comment...CHEERS

smutty33, LOCAL and xanok like this.
  26. TheSSG

TheSSG Savant (400) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

I'll give you 5Lizard from 5Rabbit (everything else is mediocre).

I'll also second Deschutes. I used to get their stuff regularly because it NEVER disappointed, but it never blew me away. Full Sail was similar, but WOULD blow me away regularly.

Yuengling is also in this category for me. I love the holy hell out of that amber of theirs, but they don't blow me away. I've no complaints, though.

Also, I feel I need to counter on Two Brothers.
    Cane & Ebel, Revelry, Heavy Handed, Bitter End, Ebel Weiss, Prairie Path, Northwind, and most of their bombers are FANTASTIC (Red Eye Coffee Porter alone is GOLD).
    Did you ever try their "Public Domaine DuPage"? It was a lambic-styled Domaine DuPage.
    Soooo good.

27. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (300) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

Sam Adams, Harpoon, Boulder, and Flying Dog come to mind. I'd place smuttynose and longtrail above being just good, but to each his own.

28. I agree. I get the idea that everyone rates every beer they drink "average" yet they keep drinking them. Not happy with anything.

29. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (635) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Boulevard
    Summit
    Goose Island
    Rogue

30. They shouldn't even be considered breweries as they all suck.
    If you think Dark Intrigue is amazing, we need to have a talk. You're right, though, Victory is solid, but they're questionable. I don't think they push the envelope at all on their normal/seasonal/special releases, but some of those kegs I see floating around Philly with their experimental beers are fan-fucking-tastic.

My vote goes to Stone. Jump down my throat all you want; many of their beers are just a one off on another so everything is basically the same. Their IPA's are all basically like Ruination, their stouts are all like their RIS, but with a spin, and their anniversary ales are basically black and tan mixes every year. They flop on big moves, too. They don't knock anything out of the park.
    I would also like to put a vote in for Dogfish Head, as their bomber series has hit absolute rock bottom. They have more shit flooding the market that I personally don't give two shits about than they have quality releases. Plus, they're losing focus on their once great beers like Chicory Stout and Indian Brown. Palo Santo is still great, 90 is a solid staple, and Raison hits the spot fresh, but we barely see them anymore now that this bomber/experimental flood has continued and newly interested drinkers probably don't even know what any of those beers are.
    Rogue also takes a royal dump on the beer scene, these days. It's like when Metallica tried to come back in '03, Green Day released American Idiot, Pearl Jam went political, Dylan started mumbling in the 90's, or Bowie stopped doing drugs and dressing like a chick. Just shut up and ride into the sunset, already. We don't want beard hair or (Moby) Dick in our beer.

cjoc83 likes this.
  31. Dogfish head????? What are you talking about? They are simply amazing.

dbfp210 likes this.
  32. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (450) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

New Belgium

33. Bertester

Bertester Initiate (20) Jan 26, 2013

DFH seems to have the edge w marketing, thus becoming the more familiar craft beer, not necessarily the best/great craft beer.

RobertColianni likes this.
  34. dbfp210

dbfp210 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2012

I think 'good' breweries for me are local places that I don't actively seek out but I'm always okay with drinking. Yards (maybe my favorite brewery), Stoudts, PBC definitely.

cjoc83 likes this.
  35. drewone

drewone Champion (750) California Sep 18, 2006

I hear you but I thought zz hop was pretty phenomenal

MetalMountainMastiff likes this.
  36. gotta go with New Belgium

37. Samuel Adams. Many very "good" beers, very few "great" beers.

38. mdvatab

mdvatab Savant (440) Indiana Apr 5, 2006

If you ever get to try fresh Widmer Hefeweizen on draught (don't know how hard that is to do where you live), you might change your mind. I thought it was wonderful fresh. The American ale yeast creates a significantly different flavor compared to a Bavarian Hefeweizen. If that's not your thing, tho, a man's more than welcome to his opinion!

39. I'm a simple man, if a brewery makes one great beer that I really like, then I am a happy man. Therefore Smuttynose, Dogfish Head and Stone are all great to me.

40. They brought back an ale yeast from Germany. Uerige.