1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Good (not great) breweries

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MetalMountainMastiff, Jan 23, 2013.

1. only posting cuz i see blue point on this thread several times--keep an eye on them. word on the street is once they get their cans going at full capacity, they're going to turn to some more creative stuff.

2. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

I have. I've had it at the brewery itself too. It is NOT a Hefe-Weizen. It is an American Wheat, and it's an insult to minimally knowledgeable beer enthusiasts to still call it a Hefe-Weizen anyway.

They do make a Bavarian style Hefe-Weizen that was on tap at the brewery only and it was fantastic.

No American Wheats for me.

3. jrbuckt

jrbuckt Zealot (85) Illinois Sep 13, 2012

The Bruery?!?! Which of their beers have you had? Never had anything from them that wasn't well above average.

4. mdvatab

mdvatab Savant (440) Indiana Apr 5, 2006

Brewers take slight liberties with the names/styles of their beers all the time, as you're probably well aware. Sounds like this bothers you quite a bit. It also sounds, though, that the flavor of an American wheat is just not your thing. Nothing wrong w/ that. I think Widmer Hefe is a delicious representation of the style, tho, and don't think Widmer should get an "F" for this brand.

5. mdvatab

Very interesting. I had no idea. So it's an American Wheat fermented with an Altbier yeast? Where did you get this info?

6. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

# of great breweries < # of average breweries by a large margin. 10-1

7. Articles about Widmer. They spent time at Uerige. Talked to one of them.

Look here for Wyeast 1010, mrmalty.com yeast tools.

8. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

+1 for PBC. They only brew 2 beers I really like, the Joe Coffee porter and their Shakamaximus stout. The rest of their stuff is very mediocre. The Newbold IPA in particular is pretty bad.

9. Samuel Adam's most of what they make is solid and consistent, but nothing they make (besides utopias) is super mind blowing. They're products are always drinkable though. They also have good options when bringing beer to parties with people that aren't super into beer, and when a draft/bottle menu is lacking at a restaurant.

10. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Our disagreement is lighter than it might seem, but this is seriously more than a slight liberty with the name.

Also, it's not a "delicious representation of the style" because it isn't that style. (assuming you were referring to Hefe-weizen and not American Wheat).

The whole point of the American Wheat "innovation" is to take out the flavors. It is a reduced flavor beer. It's analogous to adjunct lagers as examples where they wanted to take out all those flavorful hops & bitterness from real pilseners to make a less flavorful beer than the original style, made to appeal to people who don't like the taste of (real) beer. The banana clove is a core part of what makes a Hefe-Weizen what it is. So to deliberately castrate it in flavor and then call it the same thing is a real slap in the face to the authentic examples of the style.

I don't dispute whether you or many other people like American Wheats. I, and many others, are just damn tired of seeing American Wheats labeled as Hefe-Weizens. Widmer isn't the only guilty party, but they're probably the most famous and oldest guilty party in this regard.

11. There are too many of you saying Widmer Brothers, now. I'm suspect that it has nothing to do with their beers and everything to do with InBev purchasing their brewery. If the InBev buyout isn't what bothers you, you obviously haven't had Nelson O'Rye-ly AIPA or X-114 AIPA.

12. baha773

baha773 Zealot (80) Missouri Oct 17, 2008

Magic Hat seems to be hyped but nothing stands out to me.

13. I would argue that 90+% percent of breweries fall into this category... Perhaps I set the bar too high, but I can only think of one or two brewers (Alesmith & Founders) that I consider to be great...

14. smogfood

smogfood Savant (285) Wisconsin Dec 10, 2010

Summit

I had high hopes when they came out with the Unchained series, but even those have been fairly unremarkable. I do grab the Maibock when I see it, and their Octoberfest is pretty good, but for the most part I feel they're a middle of the road brewery.

15. Cambridge Brewing Company

16. A-B (pre-InBev merger) bought a minority share of Widmer in 1997 but they don't own the brewery. With the Redhook-Widmer merger and creation of the Craft Brew Alliance company in '08, AB's percentage of the combined firm is around 36% (according to a 2008 Beverage magazine article) - enough to get them booted out of the "Craft" designation by the Brewers Assocation, but still not complete ownership.

RobertColianni likes this.
  17. mdvatab

I meant it's a delicious representation of the American Wheat style.

Come to think of it, I can see why some beer geeks might call it silly to label an American Wheat a "Hefeweizen". And the motives of a brewer, whether innocent or sinister, are very interesting to consider. The fact remains, though, that this style was created, Widmer Hefeweizen came into existence (maybe the timing is reversed), and the rest is history.

I don't care whether the Widmer brothers sought to castrate the esters from the Bavarian wheat beer to in some way ensnare the masses with their toned-down wheat beer. Quite honestly, I think Widmer Hefe has a wonderful flavor, and is one of the best looking beers in a glass that I've seen. I think similarly about fresh draught Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat.

No big deal. You don't like American Wheats. I do.

18. And I don't buy their flagship beers either because they are/were consistent in their sub-par quality. Trust me, I drank their beer, batch to batch, on a daily basis for a year a couple years back. Exit 16 was surprisingly quite tasty the first time I had it, summer '10. The next time they brewed a batch (Philly Beer Week '11), it was not of the same quality (despite baseless objections to the contrary). It was thin, depth-less, and astringent. Perhaps it is back to its original quality right now - I wouldn't know, I haven't had it in awhile. Like I said, they have a new facility now, and I wouldn't be surprised if their beers have improved.

That said, Exit 16 is certainly one of their better beers. I consider it a "fluke" because I feel most of their other available beers are more or less truly lame. Having two beers that are enjoyable out of a lineup of 8 or 9 available annual offerings does not qualify you as a "very good" brewery. Go ahead and sample their flagships and seasonals and decide for yourself. They have produced some fine beer in the past and it is a colossal head-scratcher as to why they don't include them in their core, annual output...

19. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Savant (460) California Nov 16, 2009

I'd have to say Flying Dog, 21st Amendment, Speakeasy, Dust Bowl, and Rogue. Step up your games, bro. J/k... keep up the good work and try to keep up with Russian River, Bruery, Ballast Point, Port, Lost Abbey, Green Flash, Founders, Alesmith, etc..............

20. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I would have to say Full Sail. I like their beers, but they don't make anything I love.

21. As a Brit who's only dipped into the American craft scene via the beers available in East Asia I'd say Sierra Nevada, Rogue, Anderson Valley, Sam Adams and Lost Coast.

22. dgherm

dgherm Savant (385) Pennsylvania May 29, 2005

Victory does some great stuff available only draft and cask, does that count for something?

23. mdvatab

I'm going to say Upland because of their non-sour offerings. In order to move from being a good brewery to a great one, they either need to bump up their game in non-sours or just focus on sours, get rid of the others, and give us more of what we want! I look forward to dropping by the brewery every time I'm in Bloomington, but they're usually out of sours, and their regular stuff is all that's left. I've had their wheat, pale ale, IPA, brown, and porter, and they all taste like mediocre homebrews. Such a shame, because their sours are fantastic!

24. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

I actually ran into a girl representing FF and doing tastings of their beers at 2 different locations within a month (one was at Reno's in Exton, the other at Brew in south Philly). She mentioned the new facility and said that they were "completely revamping the beers and the labels" (hence the new label art, which is a big improvement IMO). The Red Fish, Exit 16 and Abbey Dubbel were all pretty good. I have had their flagship beers way long ago, and I was definitely not impressed.

I do agree that they should include all their Exit offerings (by far their best beers) in rotation. And as far as the Exit 16 quality when I last had some (about 6 or 7 weeks ago), it was really good. Hopefully the new facility will facilitate some more and better offerings.

25. Who the hell hypes Magic Hat? They're pretty much the butt monkeys of craft breweries on BA...

26. Yeah, I'm hoping they get better as well. It would be nice to have one really dependably good local (Philly) brewery on the Jersey side with a solid lineup. It's a shame they have such a bad rep among many I know whom are drinkers of good beer. But, from what I've experienced with their efforts, I feel at least my criticism is hardly unwarranted. Best of luck to them.

27. Arcadia Ales. Their Hopmouth and B-Craft Black were good ( not great ), But none of the other beers I've had by them were memorable. And Hop Rocket was the worst IPA I've ever had.

28. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

I wish Smuttynose distributed to MN. Finest Kind is my favorite IPA along with Surly Furious. At least I can get in WI.