1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Good snack-type pairings for a Belgian beer tasting

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by drocpsu, Dec 28, 2012.

1. drocpsu

drocpsu Member

I'm hosting a Belgian beer tasting this weekend and am just looking for some suggestions for some good snack/finger food types of things to have to munch on during it. I'm not planning to do anything that will take significant cooking/prep time. We didn't get any more specific with the beer style either, other than "belgian-styled" beers, so it could run the gamut. I was thinking possibly some chocolates and a cheese & cracker platter or something like that? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  2. PangaeaBeerFood

PangaeaBeerFood Member

Cheese is always a great option. Try some Humboldt Fog or Truffle Tremor with Ommegang Hennepin or Orval, or a washed-rind Alsatian Muenster with a BSPA or Triple.

For darker Belgian style beers, bacon-wrapped figs or dates are always a hit. Chocolate works wonderfully with Belgian Quads.

Belgians are pretty food friendly, there are tons of ways to go with it.
    Thickfreakness likes this.
  3. chocosushi

chocosushi Member

Brie & Bleu are my favorite cheeses with Belgian Beers.
    Maybe keep a sharp cheddar around as well for a palette cleanser.
    Roumaki is a great easy dish consisting of Chicken Livers & Water Chestnuts
    wrapped in bacon, toothpicked together, & Marinated in soysauce (Ginger & Chilies optional)
  4. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

One of my favorites when drinking Belgian beers is a nice aged gouda. I usually buy the 1,000 day aged gouda from Trader Joe's. I like the nuttiness and the small crunchy crystals in the cheese to go along with these kinds of beers.
  5. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

grab some finger food with cheese and bread for simplicity. A quick nibble to turn it up maybe...

cold shrimp or other seafood
    gravalax salmon comes to mind, however you want to prepare it, easy on the dill or smoke depending on your preference.

have at it!